Landlord not repairing Garage door

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 673 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My garage door (up and over) is old and knackered and came off the runners, broke where the cable attaches and got stuck in an open/half hanging way about 4 weeks ago.

I text my LL twice and got no response so I emailed him along with his wife moaning about it being ignored and the fact it's full of our things such as bikes, tools, two freezers full of food and anyone can just walk in and take what they like and that as the back door from the garage to the garden was also broke an couldn't be secured, everything in my garden was also open to theft. This prompted a response and she got back to me.

It then took almost a week to get someone out to manage to close it, not fix it though, but I pointed out this wasn't just to be left as I have loads of possessions in there and the kids can't access there bikes or scooters it was still urgent.

This was about 10 days ago and not heard anything else from my LL's and a few days ago the door started to cave in again, so I've now text her twice and tried to call but had no response.

The high winds today are pushing it to the point where it's going to collapse and quite frankly I'm pi**ed off as it's now leaving all my possessions open to theft, insurance is invalid as they're not secured and still no answers from my LL.

I've emailed them to advise if I don't hear from them within 48 hours I will get someone round to either repair or replace the door myself and then bill them for the costs.

Am I within my rights to do this as I'm at a loss what else to do.

Thanks

Lisa

I think you are completely within your rights to do this. I think is extremely reasonable. I think that you should get the repair work independently assessed by two repairers. Then send both of the written quotations to your landlord by recorded delivery and tell him that because of the risk to your property and also because the damage is getting worse you will put the work in hand with the cheapest of the repairers in seven days and then send him the bill.

Then if you don't get any reply, put the work in hand, pay for it and then send the bill to your landlord – and then follow up with a letter of claim if he doesn't pay within seven days.

However, I'm sure it won't come as any surprise to you when I warn you that if your landlord is the slightest bit vindictive, that he may then make moves to evict you by way of revenge.

It's a nasty situation to be in – but yes you are well within your rights but do it carefully, make sure that everything is completely above board and transparent and that your landlord is informed every step of the way. However, you should certainly act assertively because if your landlord senses that you are unsure of yourself, you may well find that you will be simply played along.