Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Hi dx,   The letter does not have any title but, it does have attached to it a reply pack with an income and expenditure form included.   No problem, I'll scan and upload the agreement tomorrow so you can have a browse. Just as an aside, the agreement does say on the top of the page hire agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. So I was wrong.   Thanks!
    • Thank you both. My defence was as vague as their Claim. 1. I am the defendant in this claim and litigant in person. All allegations made by the claimant are denied. 2. The defendant does not recognise the alleged agreement xxxxxxxxxxx as mentioned in the particulars of claim therefore it is denied that any such agreement exists. 3. The defendant has requested copies of the alleged agreement under Data Subject Access Request, Consumer Credit act 1974 s.77/8 and Civil Procedure Rules 31.4 but to date the claimant has failed to provide a copy of this document. 4.The defendant has also requested copies of the default and termination notice for the alleged account xxxxxxxxx as required to legally enforce the alleged debt, but again the claimant has failed to provide either. 5. In addition the defendant has requested copies of statements for the alleged account xxxxxxx showing the amount of monies allegedly owed to the claimant. To Date these have not been provided. 6. The defendants view is that this claim is vexatious and an abuse of process as the claimant has failed to provide any documentation to support their claim and respectfully requests that the said claim be struck out.   As an aside, I noticed that the 'statement' they did provide had a different figure on it to what they are claiming, so I will hopefully be able to flesh out quite a bit in my skeleton argument.   Spam 
    • 80% refund sounds like a very good deal* as they are entitled by law to deduct an amount from the refund to reflect the use you have had of the item over the 12 months it has been working.   So you could argue that a deduction of 20% for one year indicates that they expect it to last for at least five years, and probably longer.     * Think about it this way - would you pay 80% of the value of a brand new iPad to buy a second-hand one that somebody else has been using for over a year, or would you expect to get it cheaper than that?
    • Hi WoodDD.. Neither Case was cited in the VSC WS... however, MR D form VCS threw in VCS v Ward & Idle for the Judge to consider during the hearing. The Judge did not have time to review this. I believe he may have had a quick scan but decided it wasn't relevant at the time.. By not relevant, he didn't elaborate if it was not admissible or anything else..   Hope this helps..   Regards Tom     
    • Can I  ask what you mean by "... they recommended a firm... "?   I ask because I'm a bit surprised that Social Services are even allowed to do that.  (I may be mistaken and that this is common practice, but it seems a bit odd to me).   If they did do so and the work has turned out to be sub-standard and unsatisfactory, I would have no hesitation in making a formal complaint to the council and also to my (or your friend's) local councillor(s).  You acted on the council's recommendation and you should have a reasonable expectation that the firm recommended should be reliable and professional.  I would also insist that trading standards be asked to investigate this firm.  (Where I live our local county council trading standards department runs an approved trader database).   A complaint to the council might not directly assist you but it might help to prevent others being taken in by this firm.
  • Our picks

    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
        • Like
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.
      I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.
      In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 
      In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.
      In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.
      To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.
      So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.
      Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!
        • Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Logik Oven 22 months old

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 394 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Short story bought a Logik Induction oven from Currys in March 2018 obviously it will be out of its 1yr manufacturerwarranty.

Purchase price was £399.00 so not a cheap throw away


The heating element seems to have blown and tripped out the electrical circuit, Top oven still works but bottom(main) oven will not heat.


Given that it wont be in its 12months am I looking at a bill or would it be classed as not fit for purpose under the sale of goods and services act?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is Curry’s, expect a battle.


I’d expect a £399 oven to last more than 2 years, but you are potentially looking at having to threaten court action, +\- getting an expert’s report to verify it failed earlier than it should.


How did you pay? (If by credit card, look at a S.75 claim)

Link to post
Share on other sites

you are covered by the CRA.

as this is outside of 6mts, ….

you will have to pay for a report to be done that you will get back should you 'win'




please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Link to post
Share on other sites


get a quote stating the fault, cause and cost to fix.

call currys and go through the options to customer service, not the option for my product is faulty.

ask to speak to the out of warranty department.

explain, if you can email the quote to them, they'll give you a CC ref code.

they'll choose to give you a repair or depreciated credit.


you can also go into your nearest store and ask the knowhow guys to forward the relevant info to the 'save our customers' email department.

either way, they'll contact you after they have the information and make you an offer.


trust me this is the correct way to do it

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, well I agree with some of things here and I disagree with some of things here.

First of all, you dealing with curries – and Currys and PC World are extremely grudging about acknowledging people's consumer rights. Unfortunately they command such an enormous amount of the market, it's difficult to get goods with reasonable prices anywhere else. Frankly I would always check John Lewis and purchase from them if possible. In 14 years I don't think we've had a single complaint about John Lewis. In 14 years we've had masses of complaints about Currys and PC World.

Secondly, you are covered here by contract law. The consumer rights act merely clarifies things – but as you have now gone beyond the six months, you have lost the benefit of automatic rights of repair – but in any event, you are covered by the requirement that goods are of satisfactory quality and that they should remain that way for a reasonable period of time.


I would say that it is reasonable to give curries an opportunity to inspect it and to repair it.  I don't think it's necessary to get an independent assessment.

You can be certain that Currys will quibble on this so I think that the best advice as has already been suggested above is to get Currys to look at it, to assess the value of the repair and then when they let you know what that is, we can then start to insist that they carry out the repair for free or replace the unit. By getting Currys to inspect it, they would have agreed that there is something wrong with it and not only that if you have to issue a legal action we will know the value that we will have to sue them for.

You might be amused to know that we have had to challenge Currys before and they have initially given, for instance, on a laptop computer a repair cost of over £150 but later on when challenged and they find that they may be faced with carry out the repair themselves, they have then challenge the value of the claim on the basis that the value of the repair was far less.

Currys PC World are good to deal with because they are convenient, there are lots of around and they generally speaking offer a good selection of products. I suppose most of the time things go right and people are completely happy. However, when things go wrong with Currys or PC World, they're very nasty. I don't know who decides there consumer support policy but they're not doing their job and they need to be kicked out. Currys/PC World are prepared to spend far more than the value of the claim in simply trying to crush their customers who stand up to them.

So there we are, you have all the rights on your side. You will probably need a bit of persistence and aggression to enforce them. Start off by informing Currys of the problem and get them to look at it. They may want to charge you a callout fee to have it inspected – agreed to pay the callout fee although tell them you're not happy about it. We will help you get that back as well.

Once you know the value of everything, if you have bought this with a credit card then we can also help you to challenge Currys and also the credit card company as well.


Link to post
Share on other sites

** Update **


I have phoned and spoken to a lovely lady at Currys PC World who has opened a case said I would need to pay a £100 call out fee, however as my Ex Partner purchased the oven I need to get them to email in and transfer the ownership to myself before they can action any kind of work


So yup still stuck :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm afraid that transferring the ownership to your partner will not work and you should not do it.

Please monitor this thread for a full response in an hour or so


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course if you really do not need all the hassle and call out fee £100 and know a friend a competent one who is handy...the part costs £12.45 and take 10 mins to fit....I did the same with mine.


Check your manual for the correct part serial number and power.




Obviously not an option for some.....but you now have an idea of the part and price.






  • Like 1

We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service


If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have to say that beats £100 upfront and then an argument with Currys to get it back – but if you prefer to push Currys to sort it out then of course we will help you.

Because you will not be relying on some transferable warranty but because basing your rights upon the contract of sale/purchase, it will have to be the purchaser who will enforce Currys obligations. This is why transferring ownership makes no difference – and could even complicate matters because Currys are nasty enough then to turn around and say to the original contracting partner that as they don't own any more, they have lost any right of action.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...