starting a small claims court action against a photographer who ruined our wedding photos.

linbren03
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am starting a small claims court action against a photographer who ruined our wedding photos.

I have a few queries regarding this issue:

1) can I send the photos electronically  when issuing my claim online. if so what is the download limit?

2) If this is not feasible can I enter a USB pin with photos on as evidence?

3) When do I send the small claims court evidence to support my claim?

Many thanks

1. no need to

2.not now maybe later

3. at the disclosure stage.

there is a small claims guide here..

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

In addition to the above responses, it sounds to me as if maybe you're not very sure of the steps to take. Why don't you tell us the whole story and then we can make sure that you do things in the best way possible for yourself.

What's the story – and what's the value of the claim? Dealing with something as nebulous as the value of a ruined a special occasion or the mementos of that special occasion can be tricky when assessing the value of the claim. You need to keep your claim realistic and you mustn't appear to the judge simply to be making a money grab. I'm afraid that people who aren't experienced in this kind of claim often have inflated ideas of what the claim might be worth.

Here is the story from the local paper should explain what has happened to us. If you need any more information let me know please.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/furious-plymouth-newlyweds-hold-wedding-3747411?fbclid=IwAR2yK-kELf-DKiA_iyp6D6hbSYBEAdW45uywMWHZJ5NA0fXIEYVtZfgSWVA

Should be cut and dry then reading the above link..... your claim would be the fee already paid plus the additional £330 + court fee+ Sec69 Interest at 8 %

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for all the advice.  As the photos will be integral to my case I still need clarification  about these two points:

1) can I send the photos electronically  when issuing my claim online. if so what is the download limit?

2) If this is not feasible can I enter a USB pin with photos on as evidence?

For if I can not do this by electronic means or use the usb as evidence. I will have to have them printed out. That means I will have to make my claim by post. So I hope you understand my need for clarification.

Brendan

1) can I send the photos electronically  when issuing my claim online. if so what is the download limit?  No there is no requirement...you do not issue evidence with the initial claimed particulars...evidence comes later in the process if the defendant wishes to defend the claim.

2) If this is not feasible can I enter a USB pin with photos on as evidence? Yes at the relevant stage (After allocation) when told to by the court

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

• 5 months later...

I have received  Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track.

I would like some clarification on some points in the document:

1. It states that the hearing will take place via Microsoft Teams at the local County Court.

Does this mean it is mediation services or an actual Court Hearing?

2. I have been asked to send in all the documentation pertaining to my case as I am the claimant but I have already sent the evidence I intend to use when I sent in my claim form (Particulars of Claim)

Does this mean I have to resend them?

Lastly when is the best time to send the court fee just in case the plaintiff decides to settle before the hearing and I lose the court fee.

Many thank in advance

Please can you tell us the entire story in a bullet pointed chronology.

also please can you post up your claim form and the defence in scanned PDF format not an image please

and as requested by my site team colleague please could you indicate if this has something to do with a previous thread and could you provide a link

Also please read our advice about preparing your court bundle because that is what you are being asked to do

old and new threads merged for history.

as the claimant..

if you have an allocation date

you should also have a date to pay the fee...

and date to exchange witness statements...

and yes you will need to send all your exhibits 

and no its not mediation.

did you not get an N180 to fill in?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

4 hours ago, linbren03 said:

I have received  Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track.

I would like some clarification on some points in the document:

1. It states that the hearing will take place via Microsoft Teams at the local County Court.

Does this mean it is mediation services or an actual Court Hearing? Hearing by video link

2. I have been asked to send in all the documentation pertaining to my case as I am the claimant but I have already sent the evidence I intend to use when I sent in my claim form (Particulars of Claim)

Does this mean I have to resend them? Yes...by the dates stated on your N157 Notice of Allocation  I assume you submitted your claim manually if you attached evidence.

Lastly when is the best time to send the court fee just in case the plaintiff decides to settle before the hearing and I lose the court fee.

It states he date to pay the hearing fee on the N157

Many thank in advance

Andy

Many thanks for the all the advice. Here is the background to story to our case: 

From the local paper explaining what happened to us. If you need any more information let me know please.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/furious-plymouth-newlyweds-hold-wedding-3747411?fbclid=IwAR2yK-kELf-DKiA_iyp6D6hbSYBEAdW45uywMWHZJ5NA0fXIEYVtZfgSWVA

Also I have enclosed a copy of the notice of allocation  

Once again many thanks for all your help

allocation to the small claims court page 2 (2).pdf

Standard directions on the NOA points 6 and 7...you must draft a statement of case with exhibits attached. A statement of case is your witness statement which particularises your particulars of claim in detail.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy

I would just like clarification on a couple of points in the Notice of allocation document it states:

The parties shall each send to the court and to each other by no later than 4.00pm on 24 August 2020 written statements [preferably typed of all persons who are to give evidence at the trial. This includes the-parties themselves limited to 2 witnesses per party.

By 4.00 pm on 24 August 2020 the claimant must send to the court and to the defendants copies of all the documents he intends to rely upon at the final hearing. These must be in a bundle with each page clearly numbered.

By 4.00 pm on24 August 2020 the defendant must send to the court and to the claimant copies of all the documents he intends to rely upon at the final hearing. These must be in a bundle with each page clearly numbered.

Am I correct in assuming that I have to send to the court the evidence  bundle I intend to use and another evidence  bundle to the defendants address?

no you duplicate everything YOU intend to rely upon to the defendants solicitors AND the court by 4pm 24th- it's called a witness statement. 

and they

Hi Everyone

I need advice about my ongoing small claims case. I am at the point of sending in my evidence bundle and I have noticed that I have made an error on my N 1 form. Is there any way I can amend this mistake by informing the court at this late stage?

Again many thanks for your help

Whats the error....major ?

Pence...pounds...hundreds ?    It will cost you £100 to make an application to amend.

Step 6) Summary & Statement of Truth
This is your last chance to review the information you have entered and make sure it is
correct. Please read through the summary carefully – remember, amendments after issuing
the claim can be time consuming and may incur additional fees and will usually require
permission from a District Judge.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I have another query concerning my up and coming small claims hearing. Which is the defendants have stated in their evidence statement they want to issue a counter claim against us but we haven't received any evidence from them in their evidence bundle to back their claim. Will the judge allow this counter claim?

Many thanks

if they didn't complete the relevant forms earlier in the process before today stating they wish to counter claim, then i don't think they can and ofcourse this could just be irrelevant twaddle to persuade you to drop the claim.

and they

Defendant’s counterclaim against the claimant

(1) A defendant may make a counterclaim against a claimant by filing particulars of the counterclaim.

(2) A defendant may make a counterclaim against a claimant –

(a) without the court’s permission if he files it with his defence; or

(b) at any other time with the court’s permission.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part20#20.4

Please correct me if I am wrong. This means a defendant can make a counter claim without any evidence to back it up and without sending any evidence of the counter claim to the Plaintiff or to the court in their evidence bundle. And the court will allow this counter claim to be heard?