style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Jyst before xanax last year literally a week I recieved letter from Phoenix debt collector for overdue council tax. 

With their feex its £1930 baluff wanted full payment inside no chance 

He said ok I'll give you until 27th if jan to pay...

Again no chance 

My take home pay is roughly 250 a week as I'm a self employed massage therapist 

So I thought contact the council...islington council said ok you gave until April to pay it off. 

I tell the baliff company this and adj fir an instalment plan... no you have to pay in full....

Advise would be appreciated as I'm expecting another visit soon .

By the way I didn't let him in only spoke on the phone 

If Islington Council are happy for the debt to be repaid by the end of April, then it is for THEM to inform Phoenix.

The enforcement company are acting in the capacity of agents for the council. 

However, given your take home salary, I would suggest that you would struggle to get the debt paid by this time. 

All councils require outstanding arrears to be repaid by the end of the financial year (end of March) before new council tax bills are issued so it is not surprising for the council to have said this to you. 

The time when a payment arrangement should have been made would have been on receipt of the Notice of Enforcement from Phoenix. By not doing so, you have also incurred an 'enforcement fee' of £235. The problem that you also face is that when a personal visit is made, the PURPOSE of the visit is to either obtain FULL PAYMENT or alternatively, to 'take control' of goods. Do you have a car in your driveway ? If so, this is at risk of being seized. 

Thanks for your reply.

No I dont have a car and reading back I see I did not receive a letter charged at £75.00  but went straight to as you have correctly quoted £235.00 .

As I mentioned I did contact the company /baliff but was told no full payment.

I guess I'm just after a workable  solution as it did go straight to enforcement.

Thanks for your reply.

Just explain it all to your local councillor. Their email / mobile details should be on Google.

They will be able to help you arrange an affordable (to you) payment arrangement. They also have complete power to override the Recovery Department and take the Bailiffs off your case.

Let me know how you get on. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

As you had contacted the bailiff after a personal visit, then it is usually always the case that full payment is required. 

As you do not have a car, and have not allowed the bailiff into your property, the bailiff can do very little but to accept a payment arrangement that will see the debt paid by the end of March (as agreed by the council).

Suggest to the bailiff that you can make payments weekly  (or monthly) of £xx that will see the debt cleared in the timescale agreed with Islington Council. State also that you do not have a vehicle and that there is nobody that can assist you with paying the debt. 

Just another example of how Enforcement helps not to clear debt by increasing it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• dx100uk changed the title to Phoenix Bailiff CTAX debt
  • 2 weeks later...

Was there no interaction between you and they authority before the warrant was applied for?

Have you at any time submitted a statement of income and outgoings, to anyone?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

On 24/01/2020 at 10:48, London1971 said:

Just explain it all to your local councillor. Their email / mobile details should be on Google.

They will be able to help you arrange an affordable (to you) payment arrangement. They also have complete power to override the Recovery Department and take the Bailiffs off your case.

Let me know how you get on. 

@daisy72 How did you get on with this?

10 hours ago, Dodgeball said:

Was there no interaction between you and they authority before the warrant was applied for?

Have you at any time submitted a statement of income and outgoings, to anyone?

If not. Now is the time to do it.

Write to the council with a copy of your I and e, offer a new payment based on those figures. One you can maintain. Ask for the warrant to be taken back. Tell them about the amount the claim has risen by.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS