Barclaycard took money from my Barclays account many years ago -now offering £75 compo....

usman330
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1496 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

A good number of years back when I was a student I had a Barclaycard which I managed very poorly and managed to get into a big mess and stop paying.

Barclaycard were sending letters to a number of my student addresses and I didn’t keep track or open them apart from knowing I needed to get a grip of the situation.

I had a Barclays current account at the same time, and while the Barclaycard debt was ongoing my father sent me a sum of money to pay for my tuition fees and accommodation.

One day I noticed Barclays had taken the outstanding amount owed to Barclaycard from my account without consulting me…

this left me in all sorts of trouble at the time but the Barclaycard debt was paid as they took it themselves!

I still hate them to this day.

Fast forwards to today,

I no longer have a Barclaycard but still have a Barclays current account.

I received a letter saying:

‘Following a recent review of our operating procedures we have identified that for some customers who had fallen behind on their payments, we transferred funds from an alternative account which was in credit.

Our review revealed that we may not have contacted you before completing the transfer, or taken into account your personal circumstances when determining the amount to transfer. Please accept our apologies for this.

In recognition of the potential distress and inconvenience you may have suffered, as a result of the transfer, we are making a payment to you of £75.00 (the inconvenience payment).

It then goes on to say call them to get the £75.00.

Now,

knowing what Barclaycard are like,

I highly doubt they are just handing me £75.00 because they actually feel sorry,

rather I am guessing they may have done something incorrect….

Is there any legal basis that has come to light on taking money from my current account without my permission,

I would love to be able to claim back a much higher amount than the £75.00 they are offering but don’t know what steps I should be taking.

Im really grateful for any advice or help.

Many Thanks

They have every right to in the T&Cs it would say about  - "Right To Offset" 

Have a read up on it. Highly unlikely that they would give you back what was owed - As its being offset against a debt. 

Take £75... Or raise a formal complaint and play ball with them. Likely to fail as they will use the RTO reason.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Usman,

Roughly how much did BC nab from the bank a/c to settle the BC debt, and when was this.

DX is right - BC and Barclays were within their rights to Offset in this way.

The only way to exact some revenge would be to reclaim from BC the penalty charges that were no doubt added to the a/c.

Do you have the old BC statements to check for penalty charges.

If you don't have the old statements but think there may have been a few or more penalties, send BC an SAR to get the data.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thankyou for the replies.

I have founds my Barclaycard folder and I did do a SAR from them a couple of years back when I was sorting out my credit files.

They took £850 out of my current account.

I have also gone through the statements they sent me through the SAR and I have totalled £460 in late payment charges excluding any interest that would be added on due to the late payment charges.

Im going to read up on how to take it forwards now, im not sure whether I should send them a letter or call them as per there £75 compensation letter.

Hi Usman,

Stay off the phone and reply to the letter saying you will accept the £75 compo which can be paid into your bank a/c.

Don't sign  anything to agree that you accept the compo "in settlement of any or all claim against BC".

Don't do anything yet about reclaiming the charges. Do some reading on BC *WON*  threads here - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/73-barclays-bcard-and-woolwich-successes/

Good threads to read through are :-

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/384831-barclaycard-penalty-chgs-repaid-with-compound-int-defaults-removed-probably/

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/380837-hp-mum-v-bc-reclaiming-penalties-and-compound-intt-won-probably/

Please confirm the month and year of the first and the last penalty charges.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 5 weeks later...