• Tweets

• Bankfodder, I don't understand why you think that I am trying to cheat them. It is in the best interest of the landlord to have a tenant occupying the property rather than having it vacant. But having it vacant is better than having a 'bad' tenant - there are plenty of horror stories. As a landlord, you don't have a lot to rely on before you let some occupy the property so how the tenant behaves leading up to signing the agreement is important.    I have had other issues with the agent which I didn't want to elaborate here that led me to terminate the contract as soon as I rejected this tenant. But ultimately the law is law and if my interpretation regarding the 2013 Regulation is correct, this should be straightforward and we don't even need to rely on the other clauses. I'll see how it goes.
    • Just because criteria won't agreed in writing, doesn't mean that there are criteria and they are not to be implied into the contract. As I've said, you have to give your contracting partner reasonable opportunity to complete their side of the bargain. If you employ a builder to build a wall and they start work, then you have to give them a reasonable opportunity to complete. Here you have an agent who apparently has found a tenant and the tenant has satisfied the reference requirements. You keep on saying that they were transparent – but you haven't told us what that means and the most important thing is that you might have to explain that to a judge. I'm afraid so far the impression one gets is that you are simply trying to escape a commitment – even if it is for the best of reasons. I see that you disagree with me. Well that's fine. It's not me that decides the outcome. I think that you are in difficult terrain in respect of your first grounds of objecting. I think that the unfair terms provisions are far more useful to you and are likely to have some success. Once again, your only answer to this is that a tenancy contract haven't actually been signed. Once again I say to you that all of the practical conditions for the contract to go ahead had been satisfied but on your hunch you then prevented the agent from completing their side of the bargain. I think that you are going to have to find a reasonable settlement. I don't think it will be very much – but you are certainly going to have to find a reasonable settlement – and if the agent objected, as well they might, at least you can then demonstrate to a court that you at least have attempted to act fairly and it is simply the agent who is being unfair. I don't think it would be too good for you if a judge came to the conclusion that the agent was trying to cheat you – but you also were trying to cheat them, for whatever reason. I don't thing I can say anything more  
    • Well I think it would be prudent to check them. I found several warranty details for your make of laptop but not UK. Surprisingly, they only say that they will repair defective parts and there is nothing as to what happens if the unit is not repairable. I suppose that being Acer, they have access to all the parts needed – in principle – and they reckon they can repair anything. Double check and see if you can get access to the warranty. Also, you need to decide whether you are prepared to issue a small claim. If you never done it before then read around this forum about how to take a small claim in the County Court. It's quite straightforward but you need to know the steps in advance. Once again, don't expect this to be sorted out by 18 December. I expect that you won't even have it sorted out by February – unless they suddenly react once they receive the court papers and move themselves. Of course you could say that by February the thing will be repaired anyway – but actually you don't know that. It could go on very much longer and at the moment I think you are being led around by the nose
    • As far as I remember and by looking at the receipt, it was already included in the price of the laptop.    Regarding the terms and conditions, I have no idea where to look for them. I might ask my mum to see if there is a mini book that came with the laptop and might contain the terms and conditions
    • But there were exceptional circumstance involved, they must count for something 
  • Our picks

21 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

I don't think Kay Burely is necessarily thick. 

How many news presenters do you know of that think Norway isn't part of the single market or that the 9/11 attacks decimated the entire Eastern seaboard of the United States?

Read her Wiki bio from 2001 onwards. It's a catalogue of stupidity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_Burley 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It isn't realistic to lock all those with underlying conditions and over 70s in their homes for the rest of the year   It would have to be properly organised. We have various family members

I’m currently on day 9 of mild symptoms  Starting about 5 days after My daughter had symptoms and subsequently tested positive.  she’s well over it now.   From my point of view I’ve had far W

With Schools usually breaking up for the Summer Holidays in July, I do not see the point of sending youngsters back before September.  Government might just have managed to improve on their safety pro

Posted Images

I've just had a quick read of the stated reasoning

It seems to be intended to make all retail areas in non essentials suffer the same 'fairly'

More cretinous illogic

Its seems to be an extension of the mistake of allowing supermarkets to remain open AND giving them tax rebates (which they immediately shunted out to shareholders profits).

Although the problem with that wasn't clear to me at first, it soon became clear and should have been clear to those in power.

That customers were effectively routed away from other businesses to the supermarkets and online was a business benefit in itself,

and the only 'relief' they should receive is for moneys spent directly on managing the covid crisis

aka

Temperature scanners

Extra costs involved in delivering food to those isolating and/or refused entry to the stores etc

Dragging everyone down to the lowest common denominator isn't the answer, and that isn't what they are doing anyway.

Why the populist problem with customs checks to cross the Irish sea to meet International agreements and Law

... when Johnson is happy to implement a Border + Visas to access a lorry park in Kent?

£288 million pounds a week - The ADDITIONAL cost of Brexit customs bureaucracy alone - stuff that on the side of a bus.

Its official: Boris 'The Liar' Johnsons word is not worth the paper its written on

Why the populist problem with customs checks to cross the Irish sea to meet International agreements and Law

... when Johnson is happy to implement a Border + Visas to access a lorry park in Kent?

£288 million pounds a week - The ADDITIONAL cost of Brexit customs bureaucracy alone - stuff that on the side of a bus.

Its official: Boris 'The Liar' Johnsons word is not worth the paper its written on

If you lived in Wales CJ you would know that Gething is a muppet . He didn't even twig  people would just order online.  he thinks he can ban PC game sales as Non Essential, along with the DVD's in Asda, he is too thick to realise most PC games are downloaded so good luck trying to ban a data stream, it would be same as banning streaming Netflix.

All they are doing is harming the ones they purport to be protecting, as he has stated a kettle is Non Essential, so boil a pan of water on the stove to make a cup of tea if the kettle breaks.  Do you understand the fundamental differences between North & South Wales?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Back in April when I couldn’t buy a birthday card in a supermarket for a six year old did they really think I was going to wait until the shops opened.  Hello Moonpig for the first time in my life.  If I’d been able to buy locally my custom would have returned to the local card shop once possible.  However, I was forced to discover a convenience I’m not going to give up.

Stopping the supermarkets selling ‘non-essentials’ hasn’t saved the high street - it’s killed it.  

11 hours ago, brassnecked said:

If you lived in Wales CJ you would know that Gething is a muppet .

Ok but I'm not sure that makes Kay Burley any brighter.

11 hours ago, brassnecked said:

Do you understand the fundamental differences between North & South Wales?

I'm not sure I do. Should I?

Two languages, the economic ties that North Wales have are mainly with North West England, and little in common with the South, so Drakefords cardiff solutions screw up stuff in the North.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Just tell me when this virus is under control !

Mental health crisis is already starting to happen, due to the way the country has dealt with this.  I can see some people are finding it very difficult to cope with the constant tinkering by Government, rather than having a consistent plan. 

• Like 2

Hate to tell you this unc, but the legitimate reports seem to be indicating the pandemics spread is already beyond the prior peak.

and short of an effective vaccine, we have more than 6 months to go, with the worst by far yet to come.

Doesn't help that there are different plans in the devolved assemblies. under muppet Drakeford, I can go out to work in an English hot spot, but not visit a relative in the next county, under Drakefords Fire Break, the shopping list is depleted, kettle breaks, can't buy a new one, need a book to read? Non essential iss verboten, stationary as in pens pencils paper, Non Essential, veroboten can't even buy stationary for office or home office use, Office or home workers computer broke, tough Non Essential, printer ink, Non Essential, babies bottles and bedding Non Essential.

He is allegedly going to try to ban online sales, and downloads.

Banning online sales doesn't seem to make much sense, BN. Things that might seem non-essential when you already have whatever it is can become essential when you've run out or it's broken.

How does the downloads thing work? I don't get that.

Illegitimi non carborundum

he was talking about banning online shopping for banned items, but that is impossible, he banned DVD & Video games, but fails to understand Streaming, as in he doesn't realise if you buy a game, you download a copy as a data stream and save the installer to a hard drive, then install, its like streaming a film from netflix, except you save the file rather than the data is flushed when you have finished watching.  He doesn't know what he is on about. here is part of the what is essential list think its Aldi

2 hours ago, brassnecked said:

he was talking about banning online shopping for banned items,

So if you're expecting a baby in the next couple of weeks not only can you not buy baby clothes or bedding in Tesco but he also wanted to stop new parents getting the stuff online?  I'm sure I read somewhere that non-essential retailers who have had to close may still deliver.  Does this mean you can get non-essential items in your supermarket shop if it's delivered but not if you shop in store? 

This sort of stupidity isn't to do with the virus, it's a pure power play surely.

• Like 1

He is stopping retailers allowed to open selling what is on the Non Essential list as he says not fair supermarketys can sell what the shops he forced to close sell, he is looking at restricting online shopping to exclude non essential items don't think he can though.  Argos closed their retail outlets but are taking online orders for delivery.

18 minutes ago, brassnecked said:

He is stopping retailers allowed to open selling what is on the Non Essential list as he says not fair supermarketys can sell what the shops he forced to close sell,

But if 'non-essential' retail outlets can still deliver even though they have to close the shop what's the reasoning behind not allowing supermarkets to deliver the same items?  I read a whole article this morning on how deliveries are fine but click and collect isn't.

And as an aside, what's he got against office supplies for everyone WFH?  I could have a whole other discussion about his allowing unlimited sales of batteries - can't work, can't clothe your children but you should devote your time to battery powered devices.  You have to wonder.

Edited by hightail

Can't see the reasoning on stationary, bored children half term no pens, paper pencils and colouring books  not a good mix.

So here's a thought:

The average age of someone dying of Covid-19 is 82.4.

The average life expectancy is less, at 81.4.

The rest of the population is making huge sacrifices to save people who, on average, would have been dead anyway.

I wonder what the total of life-years saved by all the restrictions we've had on us since the pandemic started is? Probably not many.

@cjcregg How many have died due to Covid-19 in different age groups ?

Yes it is true that those close to average life expectancy have died, but many younger people have also died during this pandemic.

Does Covid-19  really warrant the level of economic harm that has been inflicted ?

Was there a concern that Covid-19 might mutate into stronger strains causing hundreds of thousands to die prematurely?  If there was such a concern, perhaps Governments have taken a very cautious approach, as they have no real idea of how this pandemic will run its course. 

2 hours ago, cjcregg said:

I wonder what the total of life-years saved by all the restrictions we've had on us since the pandemic started is? Probably not many

Impossible to know as it will take years to find out if the long term damage caused to survivors is life limiting and to what extent.  A young person who was near symptomless but has irreversible damage to heart or lungs is as much a victim of the virus.  The 18 year old who catches it now and dies at 40 because of a damaged heart loses 40 years.  

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

@cjcregg How many have died due to Covid-19 in different age groups ?

Yes it is true that those close to average life expectancy have died, but many younger people have also died during this pandemic.

How younger is 'younger' and how many is 'many'?

I'm not sure of the numbers raw numbers themselves but look at cat 4 figure 5 which is deaths by age group relative to population. Obviously ignore influenza and pneumonia.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsduetocoronaviruscovid19comparedwithdeathsfrominfluenzaandpneumoniaenglandandwales/deathsoccurringbetween1januaryand31august2020

The category for deaths for under 65s is almost invisible.

graph.JPG

Edited by cjcregg
On 23/10/2020 at 18:52, honeybee13 said:

I don't think Kay Burely is necessarily thick. Does anyone have a video link of the interview please?

seems competent and to the point to me

The aussie perception:

50K signatures on Petition against the ban

https://petitions.senedd.wales/petitions/244282

There are two camps here, the save the NHS and the local control is best like Ceredigion with rates so low due to them implementing their own local Test trace isolate away from the English Dido/Serco mashup that Drakeford bought into for Wales as well, with such anomalies as aschool dinner lady in Bangor being offered a test in Inverness, a 900 mile round trip.  Second group blindly support Drakeford's ban even suggesting Online shopping for the non essential items should be banned, and mask wearing compulsory even in our own homes.