Mutating Corona Virus

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 447 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There's an awful story from France today.

A young mum arived at A&E with respiratory symptoms and when asked, said she'd been vaccinated twice. She had a health pass and a vaccination certificate.

When they checked her antibody levels, they found she didn't have any anti-covid ones so they asked her husband about it. He told them she never wanted to be vaxxed, so she'd bought a fake health pass for 200€ and a fake vaccine certificate as well.

Sadly, they were unable to save her.

• Sad 2

Illegitimi non carborundum

I think many of such could end up very ill with omicron - and given that they would only be paying for passes if they intend to use them where they are declared as needed, they are putting others at risk too

All such should be prosecuted as if they were passing fake currency IMO

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

I have heard of a few recent cases, where people have been admitted to hospital days after having positive covid tests results back.  Not sure whether these have been vaccinated previously.

The Daily Mail is reporting that 2 jabs of any vaccine offer very little protection against Omicron.

Glad I attended the walk in centre to have the booster jabs. 

Once Government have allowed hospitality to earn money Christmas and New Year, I can see a lockdown.  May be two weeks lockdown from 3rd January.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

seems the reports that the Omicron variant needs only a brief contact before fast spread into the body is quite true and perhaps even understated

i recall one of the earlier infections  traced to an apparent brief meeting at an open door ,, now seems quite possible.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

23 hours ago, tobyjugg2 said:

I think many of such could end up very ill with omicron - and given that they would only be paying for passes if they intend to use them where they are declared as needed, they are putting others at risk too

It isn't the ones who get very ill who are the main problem surely.  It will spread mainly from those who are symptom free.  That's actually a bigger problem if it turns out that it is less virulent.  I guess we'll know in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by hightail

Interesting that Government departments appear to be preparing for Government buildings to stay open, even if there is a substantial increase in staff having positive tests.  Infected members of staff will obviously stay at home, but there will be no temporary closures for a few hours to enabling full cleaning to take place.

From Monday, it is carry on as normal, quick touch point clean will be done and a full clean will be done after office has closed for the day. 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

37 minutes ago, hightail said:

It isn't the ones who get very ill who are the main problem surely.  It will spread mainly from those who are symptom free.  That's actually a bigger problem if it turns out that it is less virulent.  I guess we'll know in the next couple of weeks.

Perhaps consider that the earlier variants apparently spread more when 'symptomatic' aka people sweating coughing and sneezing

- and that is why temperature checks and masks and isolation would have been key to reducing the spread in the early stages.

Effective vaccines came along and reduced the incidences of severe illness in the infected and spread generally

The Omicron variant seems to have developed the capacity to spread through very minimal interaction, 2-3x as infectious it seems

- masks and hand cleaning still the most effective prevention of spread, although vaccination is still the best prevention of severe illness

That change/increase of infectiousness is the key point there.

If a mutation occurs during all that extra transmission generating 2-3 times increase in damage on top of that ....

Thats the big issue - transmission = mutation = dangerous new game

Theres something else very contradictory to what we had thought we knew about the virus - but i cant recall what it was at the moment

13 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Interesting that Government departments appear to be preparing for Government buildings to stay open, even if there is a substantial increase in staff having positive tests.  Infected members of staff will obviously stay at home, but there will be no temporary closures for a few hours to enablingf full cleaning to take place.

From Monday, it is carry on as normal, quick touch point clean will be done and a full clean will done after office has closed for the day. 

I wouldn;t put it past Johnson to order a lockdown and a general election

bet hes thinking about it

With police ramped up at polling stations everywhere but Tory strongholds with attempting voters arrested and held until after polling ends on 'breaching lockdown' rules

- hes already pussy footing around those sort of trumpesque actions with ministers over-ruling the courts etc

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Was out locally for first time in a long time and there were work parties with no masks being worn by anyone.  Can see the number of positive cases massively increasing over next few weeks.

I'd imagine cases ramping up exactly as expected - probably even more so.  I think omicron is already far more prevalent than reported figures suggest.  Everything I've read says the booster shot is to prevent symptoms, that's very different to preventing infections.

We've had a period of continuing high infection rates but low incidence of severe disease.  That's exactly what we expected the vaccine to give us and it has done so.  To me it's been a spectacular success and the booster programme should ensure that continues even with omicron.

This (and some others reporting similar) is whats behind the changes in stance

WWW.LSHTM.AC.UK

New modelling from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) suggests the Omicron variant has the potential to cause a wave...

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Anyone read analysis of Covid in Winter versus Summer ?

South Africa had Omicron detected during Summer when arguably the impact is less ?

During Winter, particularly in a cold damp climate like the UK, where respiratory health problems/challenges are greater, might have a different experience with Omicron ?

UK Government may have to implement lockdown for a few weeks early in 2022, if the signs are that hospitalizations are increasing. 

err -  have you looked at the prior waves?

Only thing I've seen is that they are vastly MORE infectious than other respiratory infections outside the 'more normal' cold/damp seasons for such things

.. just like they are getting more and more infectious in the 'more normal' damp season spread ...

The Tory Legacy

Lets look at a populist perspective, now they are going more 'off Johnson script'

WWW.HUFFINGTONPOST.CO.UK

Former vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi said there was now a race between the booster programme and the rapid spread of the new strain.

"Early data has suggested that while omicron may be more transmissible than previous variants, it could result in less severe illness.

However, Zahawi warned that even if that were the case, the high transmissibility rate of omicron could mean that tens of thousands of people will still end up in hospital."

"Zahawi said omicron — which has a doubling time of two to three days — was “so infectious that it will dominate and exponentially grow”.

“Let’s do a mathematic exercise for a second,” he said.

You get to a million infections by say the end of December – 1% is 10,000 severe infections that could be in hospital.

“Three days later it is two million, three days later it is four million. Three days beyond that it is eight million."

“That is the risk, that even if it is milder, say 50% milder than Delta, then the numbers are huge – it is a small percentage of a very large population.”

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

If Covid is seasonal being far worse in Winter and this continues to be the case,  should UK Government consider having  main Summer national holiday break in say June ?   Enabling hospitality businesses to make a good percentage of income, holding events using outdoor space available.

There will then be less pressure on Christmas being a critical revenue period and people also not seeing this as a main point in the year, when they get together with family/friends.

Christmas Day and Boxing day would still be national holidays.  But less pressure, due to extra holiday period in June.

I am advocating a longer national holiday break in June.  In 2022, We already have a bank holiday weekend in early June due to the Queens jubilee.  They have moved a BH to Thursday 2nd June and we have 3rd June off as well.  If they added Monday 6th June.

And if Covid continues to be a problem in 2023 etc, then keep a longer national holiday in June each year.

Call it the Queen Elizabeth holiday period.

I think we are all making the mistake of trying to be logical, when the decisions will be far more politically driven

Johnson-ism is coming apart at the seams

* The real Tories are getting bolder,

the hard Brexiters are seeing Johnson

* cave in on NI (the Irish have no problems with best of both worlds),

* fishing (more licences have been issued to french fishermen)

* and johnson/Frosts BS demands over ECJ issues being dropped

.. mainly hidden behind the corruption and partygate  headline

* The ERG is seeing Johnson 'cave in' to not wanting the deaths of 10's thousands more laid at his door and enraged at seeing their businesses profits suffer - while they are safely far away from the front line - only the tax haven and rules and regs bonfire hopes keeping them in check - all of which are incompatible with close EU deals

A number of his whitewashers are bottling it and covering their own asses

The pandemic decisions will continue be politically driven.

Economic and medical facts/science simply selected to suite the political decision - and all loosing out on the altar of Johnsons incompetence.

The Tory Legacy

WWW.ISRAEL21C.ORG

Study from Israel’s Sheba Medical Center suggests booster helps prevent Covid-19 caused by Omicron variant but not as well as against Delta...

WWW.THE-STAR.CO.KE

Israeli team said they worked with the actual virus

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Thanks 1

The Tory Legacy

New rules are due next week according to report.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The change will mean those in close contact with the Omicron variant no longer need to self-isolate.

*** NEWS ALERT**  Prime Minister is to address the nation at 8pm this evening on Covid.

So has Johnson overpromised again? Boosters for all by the end of the year - a million people a day and I'm not sure if that includes Christmas Day. It's not clear if the health system has ever managed that many in a day and I doubt if it's done that consistently.

Several doctors who have commented only found out what they're meant to be doing by watching the broadcast last night.

Reading around, it seems that 15 million people are eligible for a booster now - plus the ones who are already in the system?

The best day for vaccinations by the NHS was 840,000 doses and is currently running at about 400,000 a day, so to get to his 1 million a day, Johnson wants staff and volunteers to exceed the best ever day and keep going at that rate daily until the end of the month.

I feel very sorry for the people who are going to be under pressure to carry out his new wizard wheeze.

• I agree 1

They didnt manage anything like with thousands of NHS and pre-trained volunteers last time as you say HB

.. and general and NHS Good will is far from that point now

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 447 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks