BankFodder BankFodder

Consumer dude

Non refundable deposit.

What are the rules regarding non refundable deposits on a non profit service provider ?.

It's going to be hard to advise without more detail. Please tell us what's happened.

Is this a housing association?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I had paid a deposit of £100 for therapy and was informed that they were a not for profit concern, so my immediate question would be, is it proportionate to keep all of the deposit for themselves as I was not able to attend the course as if any loss that they may have had was minimal, what is the law on this, many thanks.

What do their Ts and Cs say about cancellation charges?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Did you pay it online ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

6 minutes ago, Andyorch said:

Did you pay it online ?

No, cheque in post.

And you signed for this course on their premises?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

1 hour ago, Andyorch said:

And you signed for this course on their premises?

No.

Okay we are getting there...albeit very slowly.

As long as you’re a consumer, the Consumer Contracts Regulations gives you the right to cancel a contract entered at a distance - for example, when you purchase a course online or over the phone.

The definition of ‘consumer’ in the Consumer Contracts Regulations is an individual acting for purposes which are wholly or mainly outside that individual’s trade, business, craft or profession.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-cancel-a-course-i-booked-online-what-are-my-rights

As the provider is a not for profit outfit, could only actual losses be claimed ?, A reasonable admin charge for instance so the £100. 00 deposit I paid could not legitimately be claimed as non refundable as I can't see that there was any losses, unfair terms perhaps ?.

On 20/01/2020 at 16:25, honeybee13 said:

What do their Ts and Cs say about cancellation charges?

HB

Even if the terms and conditions state that any deposit is non refundable, could this been challenged under unfair terms ?.

Yes, if it wasnt explained properly or they failed to conside the distnace selling regs or the notice you gave was reasonable.

non refundable means nothing in itself.