Oven - professionally cleaned?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1530 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - we've been given notice on our home and on the Checkout List that has been provided by the Letting Agents, it says that the oven must be professionally cleaned and 'receipts are required.'

In my 30 years of renting, I've never had to do this on departure - I've always done it myself and made a good job of it and had my deposit refunded in full.

I've read my Tenancy Agreement and it states nowhere that I'm obliged to have it professionally cleaned - only on the Checkout List.

Where do I stand?

In addition - the Checkout List says that all carpets must be professionally cleaned - 'receipts required.'

In the Tenancy Agreement, it states that I should have been given proof of cleaning when I moved in - but I never did and looking at the state of the carpets, I'm not convinced it was ever done - so do I have to clean them at all?

Once again - I've never done this on departure and always got my deposit back.

If I do clean the carpets, can I do this myself by hiring a rug doctor from Tescos - can the Letting Agents *force* me to have things 'professionally' cleaned?

Thanks.

If it's not on the contract and simply on the checkout list then I don't see any legal obligation to have it done. Obviously you have to return the property in reasonable condition – but that means that they will have to make allowances for "wear and tear". In other words you are not required to return the property to the condition it was in when you took it over.

Of course that will lead to problems getting your deposit back – but if you are prepared to go through the hassle and the delay of that then you should stand your ground. We will help you.

I suppose you didn't take any photographs of the condition of the property when you moved in.

• Like 1

Well the answer I gave above applies.

For future reference though you should be taking photos when you move into a new property. You apparently have been renting property for 30 years. Presumably when you started it was quite difficult to take photos but now with mobile phones there's no excuse

• Like 1

I expect that they were just as hellbent as they are now – it simply that in the old days, you didn't get to hear about it. Also because there was no tenancy deposit scheme, I can imagine that those people who were "hellbent" tended to get away with a lot more – even more so because it was difficult to take photos in "the old days".