Notice of civil claim from Business Loss Prevention ltd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1505 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was having a really bad time last year and regrettably stole some money from my work and after an investigation I handed in my notice.

I have never done anything like that before and I’m very ashamed.

Today I received a letter from BLP of a notice of civil claim demanding a payment to cover loss and compensation to the company to be paid in full in 10 days

can they enforce this?

• dx100uk changed the title to Notice of civil claim from RLP

eh?

no they can't..ignore BLP totally.

if you wish to deal with this contact your ex employer

as long as they have your correct address.

a SOLICITOR will write to you

their client being your ex works with a letter of claim.

BLP are just some powerless fleecers that most probably your ex employers head office / owning group signed up to in a moment of stupidity years ago.

they cant do ANYTHING>

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

RLP got ‘spanked’ in the ‘Oxford’ case but that was shoplifters.

Theft by staff is a different issue, and if RLP are asking for the sum stolen (& not adding extra charges) : then they (/ the employer) aren’t toothless.

Ignore blp totally

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

1 hour ago, BazzaS said:

RLP got ‘spanked’ in the ‘Oxford’ case but that was shoplifters.

Theft by staff is a different issue, and if RLP are asking for the sum stolen (& not adding extra charges) : then they (/ the employer) aren’t toothless.

That's my understanding too.

RLP's website used to have  a list of cases they'd won which they put there, they said, as a warning to people not to be mislead by online advice that said RLP had no power to recover any sums of money.

I don't know if it's still there but when I looked at it a couple of years ago what stood out was that their list of 'successful court cases' were all employee theft/fraud cases, not shoplifters.

I believe this is because the legal obligations of employee to employer are different  to those of shoplifter to shop.

Doesn't mean RLP are entitled to what they asking in this case, of course. 

EDIT I think ther were some shoplifting cases but they were all default judgements where the shoplifter had received an actual Letter Before Action and Court papers and ignored them all.

You are asked if the money had been replayed to your employer. You haven't addressed this.

Have you any idea on what basis the compensation is calculated – and how much are they asking for?

then ignore till/if you get a solicitors letter of claim whereby their client in your ex employer.

but they said they wouldn't so they won't

don't get sc@mmed..

ignore rlp totally.

rlp have never been the claimant on any case, default or otherwise as ES points too.

dx

and they

Hi There,

RLP tend to be more successful in their Employee Theft/Fraud cases than in ordinary shoplifting cases.  As mentioned before, since the Oxford case, RLP do not file court action in relation to shoplifting cases any more, relying instead on intimidating letters and threats to make people cough up.

HOWEVER - Employee cases are treated very differently by RLP.  They apply far more effort into these cases because the courts are more likely to find in their favour.  I know this because in the last 5 years, I have had three RLP employee fraud cases that were upheld by the courts.

What is important though, is the amount of money you stole, or the loss incurred by your actions.  In the cases of successful court decisions that I know about, including the ones I investigated, were in the thousand of pounds, sometimes tens of thousands.

I have not heard of successful RLP cases involving a case in the hundreds of pounds or less - again, since Oxford, I would suggest that RLP won't risk the costs of taking a case through the courts unless there is potential for a substantial reward (they work on a commission basis - they take a percentage of the money received or 'won'). 

I appreciate you may not wish to tell us the amount you stole, or the details of what you did - but that could very well make the difference between whether to be concerned, or living life with a little less tension. 

Another mitigating factor was whether you were arrested and prosecuted for the offence, or whether it was dealt with by simply resigning or being dismissed.  A successful criminal prosecution gives ammunition to their case.

Simply, if you took a few hundred pounds or less, I truly believe you can totally forget about RLP chasing you or seeking to enforce it legally.

The fact you say you are ashamed shows remorse and I hope you get back on your feet with the knowledge of what could happen if you were to do something like this again. 

If the police have not been involved you have been very lucky, and if the company have accepted your resignation then you really have won the lottery, as there is a good chance that this will not be disclosed in any references for further jobs. 

Please please learn from this.  I have seen good people make bad decisions that have ended up costing them far more than their jobs.

Best of luck.

LPG

Edited : spelling

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are claiming for the amount of £424.75 and that’s including compensation.

There was no arrest or prosecution and if I handed in my resignation they would give me a reference.

I will definitely not be doing that again and I’m deeply ashamed of myself for doing it in the first place.

forget it ever happened

nothing RLP can ever do.

the past is the past..on both counts.

as for current cases 

post up the claim numbers please RLG...bet it was nothing to do with RLP being the claimant at all...

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Your employer can claim the money back but RLP cant start anything on their own nor add costs to whatever they are instructed to do by the employer.

They hope that you dont question the added fees.

If it actually comes to a court claim then RLP cant stand up on their own and say anything but as you see with many debt collectors they do try it on and hope thier right to be there is not challenged.

MIL collections are the industry's worst behaved in this manner but as soon as a judge got wise to their shinanigans all of the courts took a similar strict line and they lost every subsequent claim as they couldnt show any proper assignment of either the debt or  authority.

What to do?

ignore them or write a simple letter saying that you  have an agreement with the creditor and this demand is contrary to that.

This doesnt mean that the employer cant ask for the money directly but the circumstances around your leaving their employ will make it unlikely they would actually win a court claim unless you agreed in writing to repay them by a paerticular time that has now passed, let alone a third party.

• 2 weeks later...

you mean RLP?

and ofcourse you've been reading up so you already know RLP can't take you to court anyway, only your ex employer can and they haven't so...………….

dx

and they

same address as RLP I bet?

and just as powerless.

1st we've heard of their name change or the addition of a business loss prevention wing to their already powerless Retail Loss Prevention name

care to scan the letter upto PDF please

we could do with a laugh!!

read upload carefully.

also the phone number the voicemail came from too

dx

and they

BLP are NOT regulated by the SRA even though they claim to be solicitors but Nermina Webster is a solicitor and that means they may represent the company.

to see what legs this may have how much did you admit to taking and what are they saying the claim is for? They cant add any fees or penalties 

also tell us is this the first you have heard about the supposed debt since leaving or have you had any other correspondence.

What EXACTLY was agreed when you left