• Tweets

• If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
    • Good evening  Case hearing this Friday 26/04. looking to have all my prep/papers ready.    just checking in to get update on my last post , ( the t&c’s attached). No name or address on them as per #49   thank you UCM  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Second fare evasion forgot to tap on bus

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1553 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there, 

I've spent the day reading posts on here regarding fare evasion.

Most of the posts include some kind of fraud such as using someone else's pass- but I haven't seen any where a person genuinely forgot to tap in. And even moreso, I haven't seen any posts about repeat offenders. 

Since last year I've suffered from health problems including depression, anxiety and a health condition that leaves me chronically fatigued. I have poor concentration and memory. 

Going outside firstly, and then travelling on buses is something that causes me major anxiety.

I often suffer from anxiety attacks when near large groups of people. But obviously I need to get to places so I have to use public transport. 

Last year (within 6 months) I made the mistake of forgetting to tap in when getting on a bus. I didn't realise until an inspector came on and scanned my debit card. I was issued a fine via Ircas, I tried to appeal it but that was denied; I paid the £40 in the end. That gave me a good warning to be more mindful next time.

However, mental health is unpredictable and I made the same mistake again 2 days ago. I am in the process of moving with a deadline to be out of my old property by next week (as a single person) and to make things easier I decided to take one box at a time on the bus. Extremely stressful situation for me, especially as I suffer from fatigue and sleep deprivation.

A ticket inspector came on the bus, scanned my card and it turned out I hadn't scanned it. I was in a state of panic. I was told that since it's my second offence in 6 months I'll be sent a letter by TFL prosecutions and may need to appear in court. Given all the threads I've read are first time offences and even then TFL tried to prosecute, I'm certain they'll try to prosecute me. 

I've read as much as I can about this process, and first comes the initial letter from TFL to which I respond to within 10 days. I have not yet received that letter and I'm breaking down at the moment. This had made my mental health much worse, the thought of a criminal record makes my stomach churn. 

I haven't received the letter yet but still I want to be prepared. I'm going to go to my GP and ask for a letter describing my health condition and how it affects me. Should I ask the GP also for a supporting letter more specifically about how my health might have lead to forgetting to tap in? 

Does anyone have any other advice? I know people advise against a lawyer, but maybe a solicitor could help me with gathering medical evidence? I don't know. 

Thank you

Be prepared for a long haul (and a hard time in court) if you intend to plead Not Guilty. You may secure a better outcome if you plead guilty but with strong mitigation (for which you will need the supporting medical evidence of your condition that you describe).

If you intend to plead Not Guilty, unless you are very confident, you will need the help of a solicitor in court (for which you will not receive Legal Aid). A good starting point may be to get an opinion from a solicitor who gives a free initial consultation. The Citizens Advice Bureau will probably be able to direct you to one.

your offences are not deliberate and they'll understand there is not a pattern of repeated fraud or purposeful deception.

await the letter

you've seen I expect numerous examples of the pleading/begging for OOC settlement here already 

adapt one of those but keep it short and too the point

you should be ok.

as for last time, it wasn't a fine, it was a settlement, only if you were taken to court did you receive a fine/record.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

10 hours ago, Man in the middle said:

Be prepared for a long haul (and a hard time in court) if you intend to plead Not Guilty. You may secure a better outcome if you plead guilty but with strong mitigation (for which you will need the supporting medical evidence of your condition that you describe).

If you intend to plead Not Guilty, unless you are very confident, you will need the help of a solicitor in court (for which you will not receive Legal Aid). A good starting point may be to get an opinion from a solicitor who gives a free initial consultation. The Citizens Advice Bureau will probably be able to direct you to one.

My fear is still receiving a criminal record even if I plead guilty with mitigating evidence (medical evidence). 

As I understand it, pleading not guilty would be impossible to get away with as it's strict liability law? 

I'm hoping to convince them to not take the case to court in the first place. 

10 hours ago, dx100uk said:

your offences are not deliberate and they'll understand there is not a pattern of repeated fraud or purposeful deception.

await the letter

you've seen I expect numerous examples of the pleading/begging for OOC settlement here already 

adapt one of those but keep it short and too the point

you should be ok.

as for last time, it wasn't a fine, it was a settlement, only if you were taken to court did you receive a fine/record.

dx

Thank you for your response. I am anxiously awaiting the letter. I did use my card twice for buses the previous day before the offence, does that make my case more believable in their eyes? I have a hard time going outside, but they can see that I've used trains and buses recently. 

Also, do you recommend a supporting letter by GP specific to the offence? As in, my doctor could write "stressedmess has trouble concentrating, and therefore could have forgotten to tap in" for example, or do you recommend just a general letter about my health? 

Sorry for the long post

It might help to get your doctor to write a supporting letter. See what other people think but  would say it would be useful if they describe how your illnesses affect your concentration. I don't know offhand how they could address the problem of forgetting twice in six months.

Even if this does go to court and you attend, you can speak to the prosecutor on the day and try to reach a settlement.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you HB. I received the TFL letter today. 

I'm still awaiting a GP appointment to attain a supporting letter. 

I have written up a draft of my reply, please give me constructive advice. 

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Firstly I'd like to sincerely apologize for the offence, I accept committing an offence but I did not evade my fare with intent. I have pre-existing/ongoing medical conditions which are relevant to the incident, and including my previous offence.

I suffer from chronic fatigue, as well as severe depression, insomnia, social and generalized anxiety.  My fatigue started last year, and as a result I had to quit my job. I am unemployed and on Universal Credit.  My condition has worsened to the point where I have difficulty getting out of bed, moreso completing basic tasks. I am in a constant state of physical and mental exhaustion. As a result I have poor concentration and memory problems- this affects me in every part of my life. On many occasions I have walked into traffic because I was unable to concentrate on what I was doing.

Going outside is an extreme struggle for me; coupled with my social anxiety I am usually fatigued, disorientated and frequently in a state of panic (due to anxiety attacks) when I am outside. But as I am trying to get better and eventually rejoin the workforce, (with the advice of my GP) I try to push myself to face the challenge of going outside. My social anxiety causes me to feel panicked and disoriented when I board buses, as I feel like people are staring at me.

At the time of the offence I was moving home- this was extremely stressful and exacerbated my mental and physical health. I had to be moved out from my old home within 6 days; I pushed myself to the limit with getting this done as quickly as possible whilst being chronically fatigued, sleep-deprived and stressed. I attempted to transport my belongings one box at a time via bus. This was an immense struggle for me as I was exhausted, stressed and felt anxious about people looking at me. I boarded the bus carrying a heavy box with both arms and forgot to tap my card on the reader. I am very for this mistake, and I wish I had paid more attention to what I was doing.

The incident itself has had a disastrous effect on my mental health. The prospect of conviction has consumed my thoughts.  With my current state of depression I find it near impossible to look towards the future, and with a criminal record, I doubt I would ever mentally recover.

A criminal record would hinder my future prospects if/when my health improves and I start looking for work.  It would prevent me from visiting or working in the U.S; which is something I hope to do, despite my depression. Any ambitions towards a future of regaining my physical and mental health would be shattered if I were given a conviction.

I had paid for buses just the day before on the 14th, and have paid for buses and trains since the offence. To prevent this mistake ever happening again, I have made it a point to always keep my payment card in hand and board at the front of the bus (despite my anxiety), this way I am unlikely to forget to tap in. I am also in the early stages of applying for a Freedom Pass.

I have no previous convictions and have always been an honest person, I did not in any way intend to intentionally evade my fare. I am aware that this is my second offence within six months, and I am incredibly sorry for this. I will make sure this never happens again.

I plead for the chance to pay immediately for any necessary costs I owe. I am sorry for any and all inconveniences caused from this incident.

I have included evidence of the following: multiple statements of fitness to work, NHS appointment for a sleep study (Royal Free hospital), NHS Talking Therapy assessment summary detailing my depression, proof of Universal Credit health assessment appointment, and a supporting statement from my GP.

I have also included my travel history on both my oyster and contactless debit card.

Thank you for reading, and for giving me an opportunity to tell my story.

Sincerely, 

Xxxxx"

If you are still needing to move boxes, and are stressed and might again forget to tap in, because of your condition:

might you be better to buy a (weekly?) travelcard, 

Not only will it prevent you from being caught without a ticket again, but you can amend your letter to TfL to reflect the purchase, and what you are doing to ensure you don’t have ticketless travel again.

poss shorten it a bit

doesn't need to be more than 1 page. but its good ..

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

12 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

poss shorten it a bit

doesn't need to be more than 1 page. but its good ..

dx

Thank you dx.

I'll try to shorten bits where possible. But most I feel is relevant info. I hope whoever reads it doesn't feel like I'm waffling. 

I have my GP appointment within a few days where I'll ask for a supporting statement.

Going to buy a weekly pass too and add that info in. 

I'll post a second draft of my letter soon, before it's sent off. 

Thanks for everyone's help, you've all been really helpful. I hope there's a good ending to this. 

Edited by Stressedmess
Forgot to add something in

Hi.

I would check your statement for at least one missing word and an Americanisation or two.

In terms of shortening the statement, I would say that there are a lot of references to depression, anxiety, exhaustion and son on. I think you could afford to condense those to make your letter one side of A4 as dx says.

HB

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

Hi.

I would check your statement for at least one missing word and an Americanisation or two.

In terms of shortening the statement, I would say that there are a lot of references to depression, anxiety, exhaustion and son on. I think you could afford to condense those to make your letter one side of A4 as dx says.

HB

I think you're right. I'll try to condense those bits and shorten it. If I can't fit all to one page, do you think that'll "lose" the reader? 

4 minutes ago, Stressedmess said:

Sorry for too many questions, but overall do you think my reasonings are good enough to be considered for an OOC settlement? 

We don't know, sorry. We aren't transport professionals so we can only go by what we see here and the results for people who are kind enough to come back here and tell us what happened on their day in court.

HB

pers i'd say yes..it's not deliberate nor a long term pattern of avoiding.

I have known a few cases similar to this , and even when it did goto court, the magistrate did not allow a criminal record to be made.

pretty sure you'll get an OOC out of this..= no criminal record

and they

I've spoken to a friend who urges me to at least speak to a solicitor (specialising in fare evasion) and have a initial consultation. I don't think it'll help though.

My friend also helped me to alter my letter, more details have been added and its now 2 pages long

- which I think is okay given that I have medical conditions to discuss.

I've successfully acquired medical evidence from my GP which will help me out.

My friend also advised me to not accept the offence, and keep it vague as the letter is under caution and could be used against me in court.

Here is a final draft that I'm sending off. Thoughts? Better than my first draft?

"Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in response to your letter dated the 16th of January 2020 where you requested a response within ten working days in regards to case number xxxxxx. I would firstly like to sincerely apologise for the incident that occurred on the 15th of January 2020, where I was made aware to be potentially committing an offence but I’d like to assure you that I did not have any intention to evade my fare.

I have pre-existing medical conditions which are relevant to the incident. I wouldn’t have at any point attempted to exit the bus at my destination without attempting to pay if I was aware that I had not already. I did offer to pay once I was made aware by the officer but was told this was not possible. Due to feeling very intimidated at the time I did not want to press the matter.

I suffer from chronic fatigue, severe depression, social anxiety and generalised anxiety.  Last year, I had to quit my job as a result of my poor health and am currently unemployed in receipt of Universal Credit.  My condition affects me to the point where I have difficulty getting out of bed, moreso completing basic tasks. I am in a constant state of physical and mental exhaustion. As a result I have poor concentration and memory problems- this affects me in every part of my life. I have walked into traffic many times because I was unable to concentrate on what I was doing.

In particular, going outside is an extreme struggle for me; I am constantly fatigued, disorientated and frequently in a state of panic (anxiety attacks). Despite this I am trying to venture outside more to aid my recovery and eventually rejoin the workforce. My social anxiety causes me to feel panicked and disoriented when I board buses, as I feel like people are staring at me.

At the time of the incident I was moving home which was extremely stressful and exacerbated my mental and physical health. I had just a few days to move and I pushed past my limits with completing this quickly. I had to transport my belongings one box at a time via bus. I immensely struggled with this as I was fatigued, sleep-deprived, stressed and felt anxious about people looking at me. I boarded carrying a heavy box with both arms and I thought I had successfully tapped in, without realising that I hadn’t. I apologise for this mistake, but I must stress that it was not intentional. In hindsight, I wish I had paid more attention to my surroundings.

The incident itself and prospect of conviction has had a disastrous effect on my mental health. A criminal record would hinder any future prospects when my health improves and I want to start looking for work.  It would prevent me from visiting or working in the U.S- which is a dream of mine, despite my current circumstances. Any ambitions of recovering my health would be shattered if I had to go through court proceedings, and even more so if I were convicted. I am doubtful that I’d mentally recover.

As can be seen from I have attached my Oyster and contactless card history as part of my evidence that I had paid for buses just the day before, and have paid for travel since.  

To prevent this mistake ever happening again I now purchase a weekly bus pass and always prepare my card in hand and board at the front of the bus, despite my anxiety. I am also applying for a Freedom Pass.

I have no previous convictions and am an honest person. I am aware that this is the second occurrence of a similar nature within six months, and I am incredibly sorry for this. I will make sure this never happens again with the steps mentioned above. My GP has provided a supporting statement to confirm my current medical conditions. I can also ask my housing officer to confirm the dates of my move if you require further supporting evidence.  

I plead for the chance to pay immediately for my unpaid journey costs and also reimburse TFL for any necessary administrative costs. I am sorry for any and all inconveniences caused by this matter. I have not at any point wanted to be someone who is contributing to TFL’s growing issue with fare evasion. I have great respect for all the staff that work on the network and aware it’s not any easy job. 

I have included evidence of the following: Fit notes, NHS Sleep study appointment, NHS Talking Therapy assessment summary, NHS iapt appointments, NHS Spine Advisory Group session appointment, Universal Credit health assessment appointment, and a supporting statement from my GP.

I have also included my travel history on both my oyster and contactless debit card.

I look forward to your response and hope this matter can be resolved amicably  by an Out Of Court Settlement without the need to go through the courts.

I please ask that all future correspondence is sent to be aware of  my new address noted at the top of this letter.

I am thankful for being given the opportunity to explain my circumstances.

Sincerely,

xxxx"

tell your friend to go take a running jump

you don't need a solicitor...

IMHO remove the blue bits

add the red.

you don't need to inc travel history, they can see that on their system.

you do not need to inc anything other than a COPY of your GP letter

and they

SM, remember that less is more with these letters. If it goes over one side of A4 you risk the prosecutor or their staff glazing over.

I don't know how many fare evasion cases your friend has dealt with but we have years worth here.

Not that we think you need one but I've never heard of a lawyer specialising in fare evasion, I think it would be a criminal one. Old-Codja, a poster on here who is in the industry, always said that you just end up paying for the lawyer's learning curve.

HB

If your friend is that invested in helping you, get them to post here why they think:

a) it is a good idea to “not accept the offence” to TfL, (is it the strict liability offence they are proceeding with?)

b) i) why they think a solicitor is a good idea, (see “paying for their learning curve”, above), and 

b) ii) how many (if any) “specialise in far evasion” cases ......