• Tweets

• I've an idea that what this is is clearing out stock of old tech panels as there have been signs of major breakthroughs in solar tech - inc what is effectively solar paint   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • ROFL - says a minister of the government that lets its politicians promote their agendas unchallenged and well paid on the UK's version of Russia Today translated UK deputy PM launches global push to mask their election rigging "The UK is following Russia and China on a government minister and MP led process to get paid vast sums to put our message out to the plebs unchallenged, funded via right wing billionaires, AI from foreign states, and misuse of taxpayer money.   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • Yes, but the process starts here... https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/data-protection-complaints/what-to-expect/ This involves making a complaint to GS first before approaching ICO. However, at the time of the complaint, I beleive we'd advise the complainant to ask for some compensation and take it from there. @FTMDave?? No, I meant this forum, The Consumer Action Group, where you're posting right now.😄 (We're in the slow process of rebranding as The National Consumer Service.)
    • Thank you. The npower debt was from 2019/2020 until EON took over the account late 2021. npower had set a DCA on me even though I owed them nothing. I spoke to a customer service agent, following up by email, who confirmed I was in credit . I made a complaint to head office who sent a barrage of emails, changing the amounts each time. According to them, I owed £279. The debt grew to what it is now as first npower and then EON subsequently failed to put a payment arrangement and direct debit in place to pay off this supposed sum and my ongoing bills. I was very ill with Covid, struggling in lockdown with a disabled child and informed them of all this. EON stopped their legal action when I took them to the ombudsman as this was part of my complaint and requested remedy but I have not received a notice of discontinuance.  I would like to set up my own dd to pay them off but am concerned they could still take legal action. I am on a low income and can’t afford to pay them more than a token amount each month.  And yes, they state their client is EON and that they can return the debt to EON who can either register a default or take me to court. 
    • Thank you guys! @lookinforinfo thank you for the case, it seem to similar with my case which is gold. @Nicky Boy shouldn't be ICO?   Personal data breaches: a guide ICO.ORG.UK   For CAG I found this  The Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) is an independent body which provides expert advice on the use of confidential patient information. This includes providing advice to us, the Health Research Authority (HRA) for research uses. It also provides advice to the Secretary of State for Health for non-research uses.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Grammer Schools / Streaming

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

With labour leader hopefuls all generally anti-streaming/grammar schools, I was wondering what your views on this are and why?

I went to a grammer school, as did a number of my 'working class' mates in the 60's and 70's and am unequivocally pro grammar schools/streaming.

Now I'm not saying the implementation was 100% right, but for a number of reasons I think that (flexible) streaming based on ability is exactly what is needed.

Different abilities in different areas simply need different approaches to enable a person to achieve the best they are able ...

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Like 1

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

I too had the benefit of a grammar school education and I think they were a great force for social mobility for those with academic ability.  There's nothing wrong with them, where it all went wrong is what happened to everyone else.  The 'modern' schools became seen as second best, somewhere for failures because the 11+ was viewed as a pass/fail exam.  It was never meant to be like that, shouldn't have been.  Identifying ability (all types of ability) and nurturing it should surely be what education is about.  Maybe if we called it something other than 'streaming' people wouldn't get so hot under the collar about it.

• Like 3

likewise I had the benefit of a Grammar School education, fortunately I lived and still live in an area with 6 Grammar Schools in Kent,(now 7) over the last few decades because of Government interference with league tables, these Grammar Schools spread their catchment area into Sussex and Surrey to ensure they creamed/streamed of the very best 11+ results to ensure their League Table results kept the Grammar Schools in the top strata and for sure it has worked to the detriment of local students in the local catchment area.

FS

43 minutes ago, firstship said:

likewise I had the benefit of a Grammar School education, fortunately I lived and still live in an area with 6 Grammar Schools in Kent,(now 7) over the last few decades because of Government interference with league tables, these Grammar Schools spread their catchment area into Sussex and Surrey to ensure they creamed/streamed of the very best 11+ results to ensure their League Table results kept the Grammar Schools in the top strata

and for sure it has worked to the detriment of local students in the local catchment area.

In what way?

(Given there were 6 in the county)

Edited by tobyjugg2

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

16 minutes ago, buckthorn said:

I think TJ that this is a very interesting subject I just hope

you are going to be less aggressive towards anybody contributing

to it who may not have the same opinion as yourself.

You might find out if you simply contribute in a sensible and constructive way 

... or your thoughts might seem to be confirmed if you contribute otherwise

I understand that there are different views .. some might even be constructive and sensible

I also accept your right to express a view, and I will give it thought despite NOT suffering fools and ideologically driven horsecrap well at all

and hope you will do the same

I have regularly heard over the decades, centuries and millennia .... :-)

Its elitist

but of course those that experienced it found it gave them chances they would have found much harder or almost impossible without that educational boost

Its elitist and for the rich who pay for tutors

Often by parents who didn't take the time to invest effort in their children, helping them to read from an early age and taking them to libraries, with very very few (in my experience) who had private tutors, and those few commonly (but not exclusively) paid for by parents giving up things to give their children chances they didn't have if they were unable to give that help themselves

.. many of the kids made their own help in each other. I stayed after school with a few like minded regularly to do homework.

its elitist for the rich

by people who didn't realise that a large proportion of the kids that went to grammar schools were working class

its elitist

by people who didn't realise it gave working class kids similar educational opportunities to rich kids. Thats not elitist - its a great leveller.

.. so what is your opinion?

and why?

.. what did you experience?

and what is your interpretation of that.

The Tory Legacy

oh and another I have heard mostly in the current century and millennium is that its wrong to test kids - to enable grouping into 'streams' of those of similar ability/bent

... Perhaps anyone who thinks that should tell to that the the person who is going to build the bridge your car is going to drive over, or the surgeon who's going to perform heart surgery on someone you love

No worries about any exams, abilities or aptitude  mate, its what you wanted to do thats good enough for me ...

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Well, interesting to see an entire lack of disagreement, credible, reasoned or otherwise

Yayyy

Start opening grammar schools ... and get testing those kids

o.O

The Tory Legacy

• 3 weeks later...

I think the sheer lack of replies might be down to how aggressively you have gone on about other people's opinions 

I personally have no issues with grammar schools - didn't attend one mind you

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

35 minutes ago, labrat said:

I think the sheer lack of replies might be down to how aggressively you have gone on about other people's opinions 

I personally have no issues with grammar schools - didn't attend one mind you

perhaps my lack of tolerance of questionable opinion without supported reason does show through

but i consider - are you sure you have experience of that it seem rather unlikely,

is only a matter of semantics and lack of clarity

If it gives pause to 'questionably sourced opinion' 'let alone worse' ... is that a bad thing?

People are entitled to their opinion, but if they promote a stupid one, then surely its a duty to call it out.

Especially when that opinion flies in the face of facts.

We can all be wrong, but I for one don't change my mind on facts based on someones  unsupported personal opinion.

I have a quite non standard opinion on quantum theory and the state and origin of the 'universe', and if ever discussing it I accept that many will trounce it - despite their being unable to explain the inconsistencies that I have issues with in more than one of the 'standard' QTs

... and I've never heard such complete and utter crap in my life as 'the many worlds' theory.

:=)

... despite my 'opinion' on reality actually being able to explain the many worlds theory better ... IMO

LOL LOL LOL

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

For example, I hold no faith in imaginary numbers, which are at least 50% (LOL) of the excuse for the claim time travel is possible.

When confronted with the fact that satellites work ... I am likely to say

and galaxies don't fly apart without dark this that and the other fudges, aka magic ..

and ask if they are aware of the history of aspirin, and that it was originally believed it needed a widdershins spin and a low level of photon bombardment?

8-)

But of course, you can't argue that the math does seem to work in real world (LOL) situations

and before someone utters the gravity is a myth  response

Gravity isn't a myth, but it does seem clear to me the encompassing mutiverse sucks bigtime

(and it seems quite possible that gravity effects/waves maybe travel faster than light)

:-)

The Tory Legacy