Manpower/reed/Hayes - my various employment woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1553 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people do that?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 1 year later...
I resigned in the end and moved on...not worth the hassle but next time I will

Thanks for the update :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 2 years later...

Please can you help me draft a request to my team leader of change of work hours from 9am-5am to requested change of hours of 8am to 4pm

I want to add in the message that my mother is disabled and I need to be back home before 5pm and finishes at 5pm I will get home after 6pm which is too late.

I also take my mother to her appointments which she prefers to make after 4.45pm which allows me to come home without having to book time off work

I've never put a request like this before in writing, can someone please help me draft a short request which I can send asap this week to my team leader, help appreciated and thanks :-)

In the request, I think you also need to suggest how the 4 - 5 part of the day can be covered with minimum impact to the business.

• Like 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It would be helpful if you could say what employment sector you work in, fror example if you work in retail and your shop only opens between 9 and 5 they are unlikely to agree.

Are there others doing the same role who would agree to change their hours to make this request a simple one for the employer to agree to?

Also have your mother been assessed for personal care? do you live in the same property? there may be more than one solution to your problem

• 1 month later...

Here is my request

Dear Joe Bloggs

I mentioned in my last employee performance review meeting last month that my mother is disabled collapsed in the kitchen which caused bruising and cuts to her face. Since then she collapased in the bathroom. I would like to request a change of hours from my current working hours of 9am - 5pm to 8am to 4pm, so I can be at home because my sister  who comes to check on my mother has to leave to collect her children from school and go home at 3.30pm. 

I hope you can accomodate my request

Kind Regards

Sofia

What do you think of this? I kept it short and simple

Edited by Purpleflowers 2
spelling

I think they can immediately reject it, because you have not said how the last part of the day can be covered if you are not there.

You need to describe not just what YOU need, but how THEIR work gets done.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

• 6 months later...

I started work last year with a company which put me on a probabation review for 6 months, at the probabation review in november I was told by team leader I was making errors in my work and shown the errors etc. I was told the probabation review would be extended by 2 months to jan.

I was called to a meeting in december and told some more errors had been found in my work and some errors were repeat of errors explained to me in november and why was this happening etc.I had explained to my team leader that a family member had recently been diagnosed with an illness and this had an impact on my performance at work, that before this my work was fine and no issues had been raised etc. I was told my work would be checked everyday for errors and the probabation would now be extended to january.

In january I was called in again and shown the items of work that had been checked and told going by this performance my probabation would be passed in 2 weeks time.

I was then told a few days later I had made some errors etc.

I was called into my probabation review expecting that my probabation would be passed because the daily checking of my work by a team member only brought up several errors since Dec-Jan.

I was called by the team leader and went to the room on the way i was told another team leader would be in the room to watch get experience.

I was asked how I felt things had gone since december, I said things had gone better because less errors had been found. The Team Leader then went through some errors found in November, then said some had been found in december and I think some in jan.

She told me it was hard choice to make but she could not pass my probabation and today was the last day and thanked me for my hard work. I was asked if I had belongings at my desk that I needed to take home with me, then asked if i wanted to go back say bye to the team, which i found embarrassing, so i said no. I was asked if i wanted to resign and i said yes, because the team leader had made up her mind and there was no going back

The team leader was aware that family member illness had impacted me at work and contributed to the errors, i found it stressfull and hard to focus etc.

Questions I have are

1. Has the correct procedure been followed?

2. Should I have been put on a perfomance plan or coaching plan - instead of just having my work daily checked and the errors fed back to me?

3.Will I be paid for my 28 days holidays which were allocated to me in jan but i did not have chance to use any of the 28 days holidays?

spelling

Hi.

Can you tell us when you joined this company please and whether you had a written contract?

I would say they should pay you at least one week's notice and some holiday pay if you haven't taken holiday but others will know more than I do. You can check yourself on the government website.

Please tell us more about what's happened.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

40 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

Hi.

Can you tell us when you joined this company please and whether you had a written contract?

I would say they should pay you at least one week's notice and some holiday pay if you haven't taken holiday but others will know more than I do. You can check yourself on the government website.

HB

Joined company in May did not receive any contract on paper to take home with me.

I was told in the probabation meeting in jan the team leader did not want to extend my probabation and I had to leave, this was all done so quick that it didn't really sink in at the time.

Should I request a copy of my contract from the employer?

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

Hi.

HB

Joined company in May and had written contract

Contract states

First 6 months of employment is a probationary and employment may be terminated during this period at any time or at the end of the probationary period on 1 week’s prior written notice or payment in lieu of notice. Prformance and suitability for continued employment will be monitored during the probationary period and the Company can, at its absolute discretion, extend the period or take such other remedial action as it sees fit etc

My probabation was extend by 2 months

Team Leader was aware of external factors that had effected performance via face to face meeting and email

Company should have a guide on HR/performance management and what steps managers have to take, when dealing with performance or conduct issues.

The only way to challenge really, is if the Team Leader has not followed the companies HR guidelines.  You have very little rights in first 23 months of employment and within probation, they can.ask you leave, if they do not believe you will be able to do the job to the standard expected. 

If you feel that you have reasons to enter into a grievance, you could write to the HR Manager.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

12 hours ago, sofiaa said:

Joined company in May and had written contract

Contract states

First 6 months of employment is a probationary and employment may be terminated during this period at any time or at the end of the probationary period on 1 week’s prior written notice or payment in lieu of notice. Prformance and suitability for continued employment will be monitored during the probationary period and the Company can, at its absolute discretion, extend the period or take such other remedial action as it sees fit etc

My probabation was extend by 2 months

Team Leader was aware of external factors that had effected performance via face to face meeting and email

I think they have fully been fair - They didnt dump you out instantly but gave you a chance to improve. They feel you didnt do enough so have cut the cord. 

This happens normally in the world of employment. Honestly I wouldnt think its "You" thats the issue.

Theres a job for everyone somewhere - You will find it :)

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I also think the company has acted fairly. You ask if you should have been put on a "performance plan or coaching plan". You were. The daily review of your work and reviewing with you the errors found is, in my opinion, a coaching plan.

Re payment for unpaid holidays. Yes you should be paid for those. But that's not for your full 28 days annual entitlement. Normally you only get paid for pro-rata amount of untaken holidays. It depends when the company's holiday year runs from, but if your 28 days was for the year beginning 1/1/2020 and your employment terminated on, eg, 14th January then your pro-rata holiday entitlement 1st - 14th January is one day.  So If you didn't take any holiday since 1st January that's what I'd expect you to receive, one day's pay for untaken holiday. But you need to check with HR the company's specific policy.

• dx100uk changed the title to Manpower/reed/Hayes - my various employment woes