Taylor Wimpey and Electrical Issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I'm hoping for some advice as to whether we have a case to take somewhere or if we should just accept what's been offered to us.  

We have lived in a new build for over 2 years now so our 2yr window is closed. 

Mid December, our smoke alarm upstairs was going mental in the middle of the night so we got up, removed it and took out the battery, assuming it must be that. 

Fast forward a week and our upstairs lights kept tripping. 

We isolated it to the bathroom and kept those lights off until we could resolve the problem. 

An electrician friend came round and went to investigate. 

He discovered we had a burnt out junction caused by a loose terminal connection. 

we had had a mini fire in the loft! 

He isolated the issue because it was just before Christmas and left us with one working spotlight and no alarm upstairs. 

We rang Taylor Wimpey on the 23rd December and they agreed to deal with it even though it was outside of the 2 years. 

The electricians concerned came out today, 13th January  (we've been without the upstairs alarm since then) and the guy actually looked quite shooked up by the damage to the lights.  He said he's never seen it happen before. 

I'm not technical but a loose terminal connection, caused a power surge to the other junction boxes in the loop to burn out and melt. 

It got so hot it melted the junction boxes and sooted one of the loft boards. 

Thankfully, the fuse box did it's job and he admitted when they do their checks, they don't check this.  

They have agreed to come out in 2 weeks to replace the lights etc. and we've said they have to check all the other spotlights in the house too because we have concerns about the safety. 

In a nutshell, what I'm asking is, do we have a claim against Taylor Wimpey and/or the electricians? 

We have 2 children and animals and there but fore the grace of God, something seriously disastrous could have happened.

Equally, are we within out rights to ask for a completely different electrical company to carry out the work? 

I don't have much faith in the guys that Taylor Wimpey chose in the first place.

All advise is always appreciated.

Many thanks 

P.S. I've attached a picture of the junction box.

junction box.jpg

I suppose by two years, you are referring to some kind of guarantee given by the builder. Is this correct?

I'm struggling to understand why this shouldn't be subject to the usual consumer rules for the quality of services provided under contract as per Consumer Rights Act. Are there some special property rules which mean that consumer contract rules don't apply?

Also, as only an electrical safety certificate was issued. Who issued it? Do you have access to an independent electrician who can check out the system and who is qualified to issue a safety certificate? Would they be prepared to give a written opinion as to the safety of the system and as to the validity of the certificate?

Yes, there is a 2 year clause whereby they fix any build issues. Post this, it has to be referred to NHBC. 

I suppose that is my question, based on the fact they've played ball and are happy to rectify, do I just zip it? Or do I have a valid negligence claim out electrician said it was because the original work was not done to the correct standard. I'm sure I wouldn't have an issue getting a statement to this effect.

I can't imagine that claims for negligence would be excluded so my view is that yes you do have a claim for negligence. I wonder whether you might even have a claim in contract.

However, if you start going the litigation route at the moment then you are likely to delay things so I would suggest that you get the whole thing rectified, get a proper electrical safety certificate and then start examining any damage and any losses and start making a claim after the problem has been sorted out.

I would make sure that before they go into rectify things that you get a proper independent report and also take lots of photographs. Then get TW to sort out the problem. You might then want to get an independent electrician to confirm that it has been properly sorted and that the electrical safety certificate has been properly issued. Then examine your losses and come back here

Hi. Not commenting of guarantees etc, but I can assure you a loose connection in one box could not possible cause the others to fail. 

It’s far more likely the other connections were also loose, failing that a very high current was in the circuit for a long time. 

out of interest did you change low energy lights for high watt traditional types, or fit extra spotlights into the circuit?

Are you able to read the maker/ ratings on the failed junction?

Is that not a transformer for down lights ?   

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

No the only thing we've changed are the LED spotlights as they've gone.  This has happened consistently throughout the whole of the house, but the bathroom in particular.  I was disgruntled by this at the time because I thought they lasted a good period of time.  I just sucked it up, however, and didn't question anything could be amiss.  

13 minutes ago, Andyorch said:

Is that not a transformer for down lights ?   

Andy

No clue Andy, I could have the name wrong!

Hagar produce good quality products, it might be worth a bit of time emailing them images if there is more than one like this as it could be a faulty batch or they may offer some support as to the issues, other houses around you may have the same issues with potential fires. 

www.hager.co.uk

agree that loose wire will cause massive load on circuit a it is behving like an arc welder. Now how that affects the others will depend on how they are connected together.

Terminals that are not dead tight will work loose by the cyclic resonance of the ac anyway so worth checking evry socket,  switch etc in the house

Eric. Loose connection will cause massive heating, but will not change the overall load as that is based on the resistance of the circuit and if anything that would go up due to the loose connection(s), so current would drop. 

• 2 weeks later...

So an update on this...…...

I have obtained an independent electrical report that states the issues.  The electrician from the original company came back and took out the transformers/junction boxes and re-wired the bathroom.  He left here without providing us with any paperwork whatsoever.  I've rung their offices and they are telling me that they don't have to and are not going to issue me with any paperwork whatsoever to show the work has been done.  Surely this can't be right?  In my head, I think they're trying to hide the issue so we have nothing to claim with?  Can someone advise if they're pulling a fast one?  And do we have something now to start proceedings?

Thanks 

Sorry, I don't know enough about the subject to be able to tell you anything about the obligations of electricians.

Electrical certificate or a EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thats what you may receive...only the person that instructed the electrician would receive the EC

Are we not entitled to have something that verifies work has been carried out on our property?  Surely if and when we sell the house we are obliged to inform the new purchaser of any work that's been undertaken on our behalf, along with appropriate certificates?

I also assume by this you mean that there is a certificate but they would send it to the builders? 

Hi

I can understand your concern especially after what has happened.

Did you get a survey done before you moved into the property even though it was a New Build?

In any of the documentation you received for the property from Taylor Wimpey is there anything mentioning the electrical installation to the property?

I would also advise having a wee chat with your councils building control to see if the builder of the new builds was required to notify them of any electrical work and if certificates were required.

some links for you:

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/find-an-electrician/building-regulations/england/

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200135/approved_documents/82/part_p_-_electrical_safety

http://www.niceic.com/find-a-contractor/factsheets

http://www.niceic.com/find-a-contractor/electrics-explained

https://www.niceic.com/find-a-contractor/certificate-check

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Well the NHBC certificate surely replaces such a need?  They would, however, rely on the electrical safety certificate that is issued by the qualified electrician.  We do have the original but the issue I have is that the original work was shoddy and led to the said issue.  

My issue now is a) are they wrong in not issuing us with something to say that they have carried out remedial work  and b) do I have a claim for negligence and how do I go about this?