BankFodder BankFodder

L33noa

CIFAS - next step?

Please can anyone help me with a CIFAS complaint, i cant work out how to post my question?

I filed a compliant with Tesco Bank in April 2018 as I found out I had a CIFAS marker placed against me dating back to October 2016.

Tesco delivered a final response and referred me to the Ombudsman,

I subsequently complained to the Ombudsman who in January 2020 some 22 months later delivered a final verdict to uphold Tesco banks decision to place a CIFAS marker.

Whilst they upheld the decision they made it very clear that Tesco bank did not carry out a fair and clear process and did not meet the strict criteria to satisfy the recording of  information against me with CIFAS.  

The ombudsman also went on to say that Tesco bank did not conduct a sufficient investigation.

However as they could not establish how the transfer would have been made so they have upheld Tesco decision.

I want to know what my next steps are.

I have not been involved in any fraudulent activity of any kind , I never used this account since it opened in 2015 due to security concerns and online access problems which I raised.

The first time it was used was when deposits and withdrawals were made on my account.

so who made these transactions and how did they gain access?

did you send Tesco's and sar before you started all these complaints?

dx

I requested SAR from Tesco who originally refused my request.

I complained further and they sent me the SAR and a cheque for £250 as an apology.

unfortunately they didn't provide me anything to do with the transfers as they said they it would be tipping off.

I sent all of this information to the Ombudsman as well.

I have not been able to establish who made the transactions.

only that Tesco Bank was notified by the sending bank there had been unauthorized payment from one of their customers account into mine.  which was subsequently transferred out again, an amount of £150 came in and two payments out of £125 & £25 this happened on two days running.

eh? what are they playing at...it obv wasn't you doing it else they'd have sent the data!!

was this an adjudicator at the FOS or the Ombudsman man himself…?

it was an adjudicator,

I complained and apparently it was reviewed by someone else who didnt contact me, I just had another email saying he agress with original decision. he stated that ...

Tesco Bank ought to have done more to ascertain the true position before placing the CIFAS marker and specifically it should have contacted me in the first instance to get my side of the story.

he goes on to say ...however i think it is most unlikely that someone would have been able to commit these transfers without my knowledge and cooperation and I am more involved that i am prepared to say 

and are you?

dx

No. Never.

I opened the account in 2015.

Had nothing but issues getting online with the account. So decided not to use it.

It wasn’t until 2018 when my RBS account got closed and I investigated I found out anything about this. 

it’s caused me so many issues and stress.

Can’t get a bank account.

Job turned down

. Insurances cancelled

. And no end in sight :-(

Well someone got into it

wasnt a virus hack going on on your pc at the time was there.. Key logger or an infection??

I don’t know. The only laptop I had was a work laptop which was open to staff to use when I was working onsite at events as part of my job. Again which I told the fos 

hey dx just wondering if any further advice at all? help much appreciated 

its a diff one.

if the only laptop used was not a secure single use machine used only by you...

anyone could have used it 

found out the details of the account (could that be why you could never access it?)

then transferred money over

then withdrawn it.

then reported to their bank the unlawful transfer..

they have never specified it was the laptop which accessed, said it was via an iphone again not specified it was mine. provided an IP address which goes to a address different to me. 

the fact that they have not carried out a full investigation and the full and proper process for placing the marker should make it wrong and be removed anyway shouldnt it regardless of anything else? the rest it heresy and speculation as opposed to following a process and procedure which they didnt?

Edited by L33noa
didnt mean to submit

ah so you know more info than we currently know...re the iPhone etc?

I think a new sar as it's free is in order here.

lets cross i's and dot t's ..then we canr have a firm hold upon what arrows to fire in a complaint.

we have a cifas expert here but it will be better to get every shred of info first before their help IMHO.

ok thats great I will request a further SAR , I will also request a SAR from Ombudsman. 

are Tesco Bank required to issue another SAR if they have already issued one?  again the first one didnt provide anything around IP address etc that came from Ombudsman so clearly they didnt provide everything

I also note that the week after the on goings within my account there was a major  security breech at Tesco : as below: which doesn't fill me with great confidence around what has happened to me:

Over the course of the weekend (5 – 6 November 2016) it was reported that approximately 20,000 customers of Tesco Bank (the banking arm of the supermarket giant) saw their money vanish from their current accounts.

A further 20,000 customers reported instances of suspicious activity.

The total amount stolen has not yet been revealed but some customers have cited losses of up to £2,400 each.

To date, Tesco Bank has confirmed that it has refunded around 9,000 customers up to £2.5m following the breach.