BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• why did you enter into pointless letter tennis? have you had a letter of claim or a court claimform?
    • Hi Guys   I moved into my new home 2 years ago and it already had a smart meter.  I switched to Utilita (gas & electric) because there is no daily standing charge.  However, when I spoke to them in October the agent said that I had used gas during the summer months.  The central heating is the only thing that uses gas and I had no reason to turn it on during the summer as I use fan heaters instead if it get a bit chilly.  I accept that my monthly direct debit needs to be increased (currently £50 for both - one occupant) but I wonder if there is anyway that I can prove that I wasn't using the heating during the summer.    I had assumed that the payments I was making during the summer for gas would have been credited to my electric account but was shocked when they told me that there wasn't any credit.   They say that I now owe about £500 each for gas and electric but as they didn't alert me earlier to the fact that my monthly payment was too low, they are willing to set up a payment plan for me to repay this. This is the first time I've had a smart meter and I would like to know if it's common for them to give inaccurate readings?     I will set up a payment plan with them but would also like to know if I can switch supplier in the meantime?   Can I refuse to have a smart meter?  What is a better option?   Your advice would be much appreciated.  
    • Well firstly you haven't addressed my question as to when it was purchased. Secondly, is there another model which has the same functions that you are looking for?
    • Update further reply:    The Pitman centres are all franchise businesses so individually owned businesses, any refund would need to be sought from the centre that you paid the money to.   Of course we are sorry to hear about your personal circumstances, howeve, you have purchased the diploma three years ago, generally students complete the diploma within 12 months. You haven’t said which centre you purchased the diploma from but I would  say after 3 years  I would tend to agree with the centre in that you would not be entitled to a refund.   Anyone able to help?
    • Lowell has written to me concerning this debt on the 23rd of Jan 2020. letter states: We have noted the contents of your letter and we understand that you have no knowledge of this account. We are able to offer the following information regarding the account. • Agreement start date: 19/06/2014 • Application address: Flat 4, 3 Kempsford Gardens • Tariff Description: Phone BB Hardware • Disconnect Reason: Cessation by BT • Original Creditor: BT Retail Consumer • Mobile Number:02078351401 ( this is a landline ) • Client last payment date: 16/12/2014 • Client last payment value: 86.16 this is not £499.00 • Default date: 27/08/2015, this doesn't square with last pay date. • Airtime Debt Value:257.94 • Early Terminate Fee:241.99, can they charge this? • Billing Date:27/03/15 LOW105_230120 497503_ MACHINE \ 116\247 \ lof2 \ Airtime Debt is for the services used and the Early Termination Fee is calculated to reflect the remaining months of your contract which remain unpaid from the date of your account closure. We have requested from BT PLC a copy of the statements for the account to help clarify this matter for you. We will write to you further once we have received this documentation and in the meantime your account is on hold.   I obtain the SAR. it is attached: this is all they hold. 1. Can you explain the implications of the response  and the SAR as far as Lowell being able to collect the debt?   2. I responded to Lowell with this letter: Lowell Financial Ltd. 4875 Dear Sir: I write to you in response to your letter of 23 January 2020. Insofar that a relationship may have existed between myself and BT I cannot recall this account (Agreement) and request that you supply me with a copy of the Account/Agreement and other documents listed in the bullet points of your response. I  deny any breach  of the purported agreement. You have failed to supply me with a copy of the agreement requested . I have never received any evidence that you are the legal owner of the debt, by assignment, sale and purchase agreement or otherwise. I have never received and am unaware of any legal notice of assignment or Notice of Assignment pursuant to Law and property Act 1925 Section 136(1). This document is not referenced in your response. I deny that I have failed  to maintain the required payments to BT. It is denied that I have failed to respond to demands for payment sent by you and/or its agents. Lowell is put to strict proof that any such demands have been sent to me by you. a). Lowell appears to  admit it is the assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Lowell has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925.  b). It is further denied any funds are due Lowell  because the Lowell appears to have sold this debt to another firm in 2019.  Lowell must therefore show how it has legal right, either under statue or equity to collect this sum from me. I  deny owing any money to Lowell  and you are required to produce evidence to support your claims that this sum is in default, due and owning this includes: a. Show how the I  entered into an Agreement. b. Show how I  have reached the amount claimed for. c. Show that I  failed to maintain the required payments and the service was terminated as claimed. d. Show that the statute of limitations on this alleged debt has not passed. 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4) it is expected that Lowell must  prove the allegations that the money is owed; having been provided with written requests for information under CPR 31.14 and to date have failed to provide any such documentation as detailed in its response letter.  8. Notwithstanding the above should the alleged amount claimed include an early termination charge(s) amounting to the entire balance of the remaining contract. OFCOM guidance states that any Early Termination Charge that is made up of the entire balance if the remaining contract is unlikely to be fair as it fails to consider the fact that the provider no longer has to provide and pay for their service.  You state that the balance due includes £241.99. You must remove this from any collection efforts, and I dispute that this and all other balances are owed by me. 9. Show that I was residing at Flat 4 3 Kempsford Gardens on the alleged defaulted date of 27/08/2015 or any other date after 16/12/2014.  Alternatively remove any debt you allege is owed  because back billing and billing for unused services is not allowed. 10. Please explain Lowell reporting to the credit bureaus that the debt outstanding to BT is £674. The account number concerning 3 Kempsford Gardens Flat 4 which I hold is another account number which is BT xx7 start date is 15/07.2013. 11. The account number you claim is owed to you is an original account number BT xxx 07. You claim the start date on this account is 19/06/2014. Please explain the discrepancy between these two accounts including ownership of both accounts, and why there are two accounts you allege for the same address with different dates. Alternatively, if you have no explanation: You must cease and desist from collection activity including reporting to the credit bureaus, pre claim letters and any other forms of collection activity with immediate effect. Please write to me confirming that you will take no further action. Failing this I will file a counterclaim and ask the court for costs. Kind Regards      I received the email below last night: "I can see that we also hold the following account details for you:   Account Number Original Client Original Client Reference Current Balance XXX192 Orange xxx321 £285.91 XXX875 BT PLC xxx207 £499.93   I can see that the above BT PLC account is currently on hold, as we are requesting information from BT PLC directly.   1. how long does BT have to respond? the date of Lowell letter was 23rd of Jan. 2. if BT doesn't respond within that time frame, what can I do to get the account removed from the Credit reports? . 3. how can I get Lowell to stop collection if BT doesn't respond? what is also interesting is I have a letter from Lowell for the orange account and also a BT account, but the balance is £199.11 and the account number ends in 192. There are too many account numbers with different balances for the same address. any suggestions how I address this with Lowell?   Lowell writes:   "The period for recovering your Orange account by court action has expired. We will not be issuing court proceedings to enforce payment. However, your debt still exists and legally we are within our rights to continue to ask you for repayment. With this being said, this account does not look to have a payment arrangement set up as of yet. How would you like to proceed with this account going forward? If you can let us know then we can look to assist you further".   If the time has expired to collect a debt from orange, how do they have a right to collect? seems the SOL runs for both. how should I respond?   In the meantime, I have placed your Vodafone and Orange accounts on hold for the next 30 days to give you time to get back to us.   Can you give me some suggestions on how I unravel this and respond? Thank you.  SAR_BT.pdf
  • Our picks

Mart1980

Drunk Wife opened Ladbrookes online betting account and used my Natwest Card to spend £13k!!

There is always the option of some social media shaming on Facebook or Twitter.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I have threatened them with social media forum shaming and putting a complaint in to the gambling commission and I have threatened a letter to the CEO and lawyers and also a sar..

They are unmoved on any of them at all at the moment.

well until you actually do anything bar keeping to get stuck at the script jockey stage on email/webchat/phone portals ...they'll keep fobbing you off.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

Best way to hit ‘em in the social media. Study their Facebook pages. Find the nice fake corporate responsibility posts like a video of them at some award for helping a charity out our something. Or how they have helped problem gamblers, make sure they have lots of views on said video or announcement.

Then you can lay into them , a with a concise, cutting post about what they did. You might have to keep repeating a few times on different posts , but eventually you may well get some joy.

I have a friend who is a master at this, I have watched and observed.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

2 hours ago, London1971 said:

Best way to hit ‘em in the social media. Study their Facebook pages. Find the nice fake corporate responsibility posts like a video of them at some award for helping a charity out our something. Or how they have helped problem gamblers, make sure they have lots of views on said video or announcement.

Then you can lay into them , a with a concise, cutting post about what they did. You might have to keep repeating a few times on different posts , but eventually you may well get some joy.

I have a friend who is a master at this, I have watched and observed.

(Thought I'd posted this yesterday but obviously didn't)

What makes you think Ladbrokes would be susceptible to a bit of naming and shaming on social media?  They have to be capable of being shamed or have some sort of social conscience for this to work.  They don't give a sh1t about adverse publicity.  Do you not listen or watch news items about the gambling industry?

Do you really think they've won an award for helping a charity?  They're Ladbrokes.  Their whole business model is significantly based on exploiting vulnerable people and those with some sort of gambling problem.  Criticism on Facebook won't affect their profits.

EDIT:  Also the OP might well be reluctant to advertise this on Facebook.  His circumstances might not garner a lot of sympathy from some people. 

Edited by Manxman in exile

Tell you what, if you have any better ideas I am all ears, as is everybody here.

Think this thread has covered many different options and it is now up Mart to decide how they choose to proceed.

I should imagine that Labrokes see many such cases every week and they will just refuse to consider any refund of the money lost, until they are forced into it. e.g. successful complaint to regulators, Court claim against them.

Although the Bank may not have been at fault in any way, if Mart had been willing to provide the Bank with his Wifes details, with an explanation of what has happened, there was a slim chance they would have refunded debits. Allowing 27 transactions amounting to £13000 with just 1 warning text, does not seem very satisfactory.

• Like 1

And the squeaky wheel gets the problem sorted.

Do research into who a betting company sponsors, in order to appear legitimate rather than the peddlers of misery that they really are.  They are the points I would be looking at to kick up a fuss if I wanted my money back from them.

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 11:00, London1971 said:

Tell you what, if you have any better ideas I am all ears, as is everybody here.

I've already suggested better ideas in posts 42, 45, 52, 85 and 90.  (Sorry about your ears by the way...)

To summarise: the bank is a non-starter for several reasons listed in earlier posts;

Ladbrokes appear to be at fault.  If they aren't going to budge then the OP needs to complain to the Gambling Commission (unless this Ladbrokes entity is incorporated somewhere like Malta, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man etc).  The potential difficulty here is that the Gambling Commission may have some sort of statutory duty to inform the authorities of what might look like some sort of potential fraud;

Hence the OP might find paid for legal advice helpful before going further.  Only the OP can decide if the cost of this is warranted compared to getting 13k back, or the possibility of a fraud investigation;

I'd also seek advice from a Gambling Charity, not because I'm suggesting the wife has a gambling problem, but because the OP is more likely to find people who have experience of dealing with gambling companies.

I'm not certain going down the social media route is right because the OP is going to have to explain that his wife had both his card and his mobile phone and gambled away 13k while drunk.  The OP may this embarrassing and not want to publicise it, and if he doesn't, I fear Ladbrokes might.  They may also decide to go down the fraud route.

I don't think you can shame gambling companies into doing anything.

Edited by Manxman in exile
clarification

Mart1980 - what have Ladbrokes actually told you?

I ask because, having spoken to people who do use gambling sites, it's surprisingly (to me at least) common for people to find that they cannot withdraw their funds and that the gambling company won't tell them why.

Apparently this happens when the account is "under investigation" for some reason (usually suspected breach of money laundering legislation).  When this happens they will not allow you to withdraw your money, and they also won't tell you why you can't (Catch 22).  Upon completion of the investigation the money will be released - assuming everything has been found to be above board.

I'm wondering whether in the circumstances you describe, Ladbrokes consider the transactions "suspicious" and are investigating the account.

Have they told you that they won't refund the funds without telling you why (despite the fact that this seems to be a breach of their own T&Cs), or have they simply told you that they consider your wife lost the money on bad bets (again despite their T&Cs) and that that's your tough luck?

Here is the latest from ladbrokes.

Screenshot_20200121-065300_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-065316_Gmail.jpg

And my reply.excuse some of the spelling I was fuming writing the email on my phone and I noticed a few words had auto corrected.

Screenshot_20200121-065607_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-065619_Gmail.jpg

So threaten Labrokes with a Court claim.

Before you do that, speak to Gambling commission, to see if there is a dispute system you can use.

7 hours ago, Manxman in exile said:

I'm not certain going down the social media route is right because the OP is going to have to explain that his wife had both his card and his mobile phone and gambled away 13k while drunk.  The OP may this embarrassing and not want to publicise it, and if he doesn't, I fear Ladbrokes might.  They may also decide to go down the fraud route.

I don't think you can shame gambling companies into doing anything.

No advice on here is bad , I'm not 'dissing ' anyone, I just want to help him get his hard earned back.

No way should he mention his wife being drunk, he doesn't have to explain anything of the sort on social media. Why should he be scared of either?

The SAR is also a good plan, it will be interesting to see if they fully comply.

Hi. Whose name is the SAR in please? If it's you, they have an excuse not to reply but if your wife sends one as well, they shouldn't have any excuse.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Might be getting some were.

Problem is she doesn't remember the user name or password so I have give them every other detail name, address ,email ,date of birth and phone number.

If they come back now and say they dont have

Screenshot_20200121-163453_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-163508_Gmail.jpg

what device did she use for the gambling site?

dx

A mobile phone mine while I was out watching the football with all the lads.

did she install the labrookes app?

or if you goto the site on the phone

does it not already have the log-in name filled in?

dx

She installed the app but deleted it before I woke up the next day and weridly enough she has no emails off ladbrokes 

Bear in mind it was 10;days after before I found out I had no need to check ny bank because I had no calls 

Then got the shock of my life and even more when I finally found out it was her she had no idea what she was doing or how much was spenr

without specialist knowledge (which is easy to do if you link your phone as a USB device to your PC)

you will be able to see what the details were.

as an outside shot.

I have j known certain apps to retain info even when uninstalled

try installing the app back on the same phone

you might well see the login name when you click in the log-in name box, it might pop back up.

if it does the password will still be there too but you wont see it.

if you can log-in

go straight to the account info page and change the password.

all transactions should be viewable.

Thanks but the account has been closed apparently so that's another way of them shutting the account and not being able to find it and keep the money like it never happened.

So corrupt ladbrokes

erm..how they say the A/C has been closed when they clearly state they don't know anything about it?

• Like 1