Council caused wall to collapse/damage and Liability ?

dr fox
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1565 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have emailed to Ombudsman Service and waiting on a reply from them so thought i would post on here in the meantime as I know they are busy.

Can anyone tell me if the Financial Ombudsman Service will get involved with a Local Authority Council ? 

It is regarding a Liability claim to a building that my in laws made against them to which they admit liability. 

The issue is with the amount they have offered which is £2500 less than quotes obtained from 3 different builders. 

They have given their final offer.

Any help would be great. 

Thanks

Thread title amended

think you need to expand on liability over what?

what happened?

no the FOS is not the place to got that's for financial matters typically involving consumer finance/insurance etc etc.

I believe there is a local gov't ombs

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Ombudsman

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,  the council caused collapse of a wall while working on another property.  

The council have claimed through their insurance after admitting liability.  They have made two offers which were declined and they have given their final response.

I was thinking that because this was through their insurance and a financial matter  then the fos would get involved,  although unsure because it was a local authority ?

Thanks

Edited by dr fox

The council have stated that this was their insurance companies final offer. 

Two offers have been made although £2500 less than 3 private quotes obtained. 

A huge shortfall.   

They also stated in the letter that the LGO would not be able to negotiate on the price and would only look at whether the correct procedures were followed. 

• dx100uk changed the title to council caused wall clasp damage - their offer is £500 short of 3 sought quotes.

I don't understand why the council can't speak to their insurer about the shortfall on the quotes that you've had. Obviously you can't because they'll just say that the council is their client and not you.

Or if they can't do that, could the council pay you the extra £500?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Yep the council have stated that they are the client so not possible to communicate with the insurer.  According to their letter they have reached deadlock so not budging.

My mother in law has asked the council to repair the damage although they refused and said their insurers would deal with it. 

The shortfall is £2500 and not £500.  The council offered £2000 but the cheapest quote is £4550.

The reason I thought the financial Ombudsman would get involved was because there was an Insurance Issue .  £2500 is alot of money to make up especially when not their fault.

Thanks

• AndyOrch changed the title to Council caused wall to collapse/damage and Liability ?

sorry, it was not immediately clear , now things make more sense, esp with regard to the level of shortfall.

FOS should be involved yes.

why not give them a ring too

has this caused any building integrity issues, or just damaged a boundary wall?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...