Date of default hitting 6 years. What do I do now?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hopefully, someone can help me....

several years ago I went through a bad break up and ended up with 2 different debts with Lowell due to my ex.

Instead of arguing the debts I put my head in the sand and ignored them. 

The first debt is for £2,983 and the 2nd one is for £636.

Lowell have stopped sending me letters about the big debt, but they still send me "threatening" letters about the small debt.

Both debts have a default date in 2014, which means they will have crossed over the 6 year limit this year and should go off my credit file as I have not communicated with them? 

I am worried Lowell (OR the actual company they bought the debt from?) will go legal before the 6 years have passed (in particular with the big debt), but I have not informed the actual companies of my new address.

My questions are:

1. What if they send the court letter to an old address and I don't receive it?

The "chase letters" have gone to my new address - does that mean I will get the CCJ to the new address, or is it not Lowell doing the CCJ *is it the original company?

What happens if they send the court order to an old address and I never receive it - what's the worst that can happen? 

2. What is the likelihood that they go legal? 

3. Will the debt just go off my credit report naturally when the 6 years are up or do I need to do something? 

Thank you!! 

Please , immediately write a letter to each one informing them of your correct address. I mean today if you can. 

Do you know when the last payment to each account was made?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi, thanks for answering.  Im worried if I write to them now, they can put a new default date from todays date (as I have not had contact with them since 2014 - last payment was done in 2014 -  they have to remove the debt after 6 years dont they if no contact since then? 

No powers to do that. In fact a DCA doesn't really have very much power at all.

6 years since the default date then it's statute barred.  But you still need to inform them of your address otherwise they can send you a claim form and you won't know about it and therefore won't be able to defend it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The date it defaulted plus 14 days, unless a payment was made after the default date, then it would be 6 years from the last payment.  Do you have the actual default date?

the most important thing here is to write to all your debt owners on any debt that let's say you last used or paid something on in the last 7 yrs to be sure of no backdoor CCJ's. 

once the defaulted date the original creditor registered in the summary of a debt on your credit file reaches its 6th birthday, the whole account is automatically removed, you don't have to request that to happen.

however, if the defaulted date that a dca has on their possible duplicate credit file entry differs from the one registered by the OC, you must complaint, that's not on.

once a debt falls off it cannot return, but, that doesn't mean the debt might not be still owed depending upon last use/payment date.

it also doesn't prevent a backdoor CCJ/litigation from showing, but that would be in the public records/judgement section of your file.

bottom line is never run from debt, always ensure a debt owner has you correct address in writing if its ever changed from the original address or you never updated the original creditor of a move prior to sale.

just because a debt owner contacts you at your present address does not mean they are legally aware, it's just a phishing attempt to see if you respond, should you not and you have moved, not informing them, odds on a debt buyer will go for a backdoor CCJ.

the fact that a debt might be statute barred is no protection again a backdoor CCJ, as the whole system is automictic, no human checks anything.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...