Ipad repair gone wrong

superg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello I am looking for some advice please.

my iPad screen got cracked

I decided to try and repair it my self but the new glass was faulty. 

I decided it was best to pay to have it fixed properly

then decided to take it to to a local repair shop who claims to be certified by apple (Trained by ) apple for repairs and uses apple parts.

the shop owner says he would fit a new apple screen not after market one and a new home button this would cost £80 I agreed and returned to pick iPad up.

The home button was working fine and screen was working however he had got adhesive glue on my mail lcd screen (under the glass) and you could see it.

I told him I was not happy and wanted it fixed properly as there was no adhesive on the lcd screen before repair. 

he says that it can happen I thought we all make mistakes and asked him to fix it again.

second time I returned to the shop the screen was much better but there was a very small bit of adhesive but it was hard to see. 

I noticed that now the main home button was very loose and moving around I told him that I was not going to use it like this.

It even got jammed under glass when I tried to use it.

his reply was that the reason is that he has not installed a rubber gasket as the replacement button does not come with one.

also now my screen has bleed (pressure marks) where he was clamped the screen down too hard.

I even spoke to the apple store and they confirmed that no shops was authorised to replace apple screens and the reason my screen has bleed now was he has clamped it down with a lot of pressure.

I have my receipt for the screen.

I am Just not sure what to do as he can do repairs but won't be able to fix screen pressure damage and my iPad will never be the same now.

I am not even sure if he has used a proper apple screen that I paid him for.

does any of you know what I should do as I was going to speak to trading standards but not sure on next step to take

Thank you for any help or advice 

At base, you have the right to receive the service you paid for which means that the store promised to fit a replacement genuine screen and it seems that they failed to do so – at least insofar as the fitting is concerned. We don't know if it is a genuine screen. How can you discover?

However, from a pragmatic point of view the whole thing is a bit of a mess because you are going to run into a tangle of counter accusations because it seems that you started off trying to do the job yourself, then they did a job which sounds as if it was pretty good except for some adhesive which is visible – and then when you complained about it, they tried to make good but in fact they made it worse.

The fact that they tried to correct indicates that at some level they are a pretty decent company because I'm sure that many companies wouldn't have bothered all would have refused to help further.

Personally I would suggest that you go back and talk to them about it and see what they are prepared to do.

You could make a complaint and eventually bring a small claim. I suppose you could claim back your £80 – but as I say it might be very messy – and I'm not sure about the status of your iPad with its existing screen which obviously works but it's a bit fiddly because of the button. It might be that you would get a partial award – and maybe you will be easier to negotiate this from the repairer.

You don't say how old the tablet is or what its present replacement value is

What model of iPad was it out of interest as a new model one with the fused glass is far more expensive than £80 just for the LCD.

When a repair store says they are using a genuine LCD 99% of the time they won't, the only way for a non Apple store to get hold of one is to strip it out of a faulty iPad as Apple doesn't sell their LCDs and keep a very close on on where they get shipped too.

Thank you for your help the iPad is a iPad 5  2017 cellular model they cost around £235 second hand. When the iPad was taken in to the stop there was a top glass fitted but it was not glued down and there was no damage to the main lcd and it was clean. The shop owner has tried to help as every time he has to change the top glass screen. but now the button does not work at all and is very loose.this is because he has not put a simple rubber gasket on. As for the lcd screen there is permeant damage from clamps being applied to the screen this was caused by the store. The only way would be to replace the main glass and bottom screen and button. The iPad worked fine before. I just don't se why I should have to settle for an iPad that won't or look as it should. 

All the home buttons I have ever ordered have come with a new gasket as they can tear when you remove the button, even so you can still use the old one as long as it hasn't been torn in half.

To also get glue on the LCD is quite hard as anyone that knows what they are doing would put the glue on the metal frame centered so when you lay the new digitizer glass down it spreads evenly giving it a firm hold. If you also get glue on the LCD it is removable with a bit of IPA and a microfiber cloth, I guess he didn't check the iPad worked before he glued the new digitizer in place.

Did he replace the LCD, home button and glass ? Just 3rd party prices you are talking £35 for the LCD £8 for the home button and £13 for the glass for a total of approx £56, there is no way he could have got a legit OEM LCD panel for the £80

The fact you have pressure marks is a bit alarming as when I have done repairs in the past I only clamp along the sides making sure not to go over the LCD area to avoid causing any issues with the screen and the fact it is in a metal housing and the LCD is resesed into the frame he has over tightened them a lot and gone way over the glass border. The pressure spots is there one in each corner or are they down the left side of the LCD.

There is absently no reason why you should settle for anything less than you paid for – which is a proper repair, apparently with an Apple screen.

It all depends on how much trouble you want to make about it. If you want to make a written complaint and then begin a small claim, then we will help you. Will have to calculate how much you are entitled to recover from him. I would say it would be the value of putting the tablet into the condition it should have been put in if the repair had been properly carried out. This means that you would have to get some independent quotes for replacing the screen properly.

I suggest you do that then come back here. You will need written quotes – at least two of them

I have just looked at the iPad and the pressure marks are mainly on the left hand side also at the top and bottom. when I took the iPad to the shop it had the original button in with fingerprint id working, but the button  would not click it also had a new rubber gasket. Thank you for all of your help with this I will email the store and tell him I want it sorting out I have loaded an image of my screen 

Ipad screen 1.jpg

It almost certainly isn't a genuine Apple Screen, at the very least not a brand new one, Apple do not supply third parties with repair parts, they are notorious for this and it's part of their strategy to boost sales of newer iPad/iPhone models by making older ones as difficult to repair as possible. He will have used either an after market screen or a second hand screen pulled from another iPad.

Edited by MaxxPower