• Tweets

• @jk2054 and @BankFodder - Your feedbacks in posts #199 and #202 have been incorporated into the attached WS. As usual, amends are in blue in this draft. Based on other WS drafts I've seen where the issues in dispute are part of the WS, I built my first draft WS in the same format and hadn't seen it to be an issue before. You will notice that the 'witness statement' has been replaced with 'Claimant's Statement' so that issues in dispute does not need to be on a separate page before the WS. This is especially given the work that has gone in to reduce the size of the WS to 8 pages. Also thanks for the suggestions re: confidentiality - I agree with your views and will stand firm on this if a condition of confidentiality is brought up. I have not been approached by Evri on this forum or by email. I haven't yet had success in paying the hearing fee. I am calling the court as often as I can (during work breaks/lunch etc.) and have sent 2 emails to the court requesting a call back. If i don't have any success by the end of this week, I'll send another email chasing for a call back. @BankFodder - Also attached is an invoice from Packlink which shows that I was charged by Packlink for these services: "drop-off at EVRi - Next day delivery" and "Proof of Delivery". It also has the payer's address and there are "Origin" and "Destination" fields which have the postcode of the sender and the recipient (I have redacted personal details in the attached invoice).  I am already including this in my evidence bundle (without the redaction) but wanted to share this redacted version so that other people can consider this as example in their bundle of Packlink and Evri's contract being instigated by the sender of the parcel who has paid for the service, and further shows that there is information in the invoice to identify that a third party beneficiary (sender / recipient) is present in the contract between Packlink and Evri. If this invoice is no good, then please let me know / delete it from this post. Draft - Witness Statement and Court Bundle redacted.pdf Packlink invoice - REDACTED.pdf
    • It can be frustrating when clients fail to pay for services or products rendered, ignore payment reminders, or claim an inability to pay. How quick do you pass to a Debt Collection Agency like www.corporatedebtrecovery.co.uk 
    • The Court s pretty informal. The Judge [who you call "Judge" rather than Sir or madam] will not be wearing a wig and gown just a suit and it is advisable that you do the same and a tie. Other than that the Judge will do most of the talking .If they haven't received a WS from the scrotes either the case will probably be thrown out straight away. Usually the Judge will ask their lawyer a number of questions then ask for your take on things and then the case will be decided.  UKPC 0 Mystic Bertie 5. Then ask for your expenses time off work [if not being paid by your company while in Court, travelling and parking costs and occasionally they will allow something like 5 hours research at I think £8 per hour. Later celebrate and post us the result and how much fun it was. You will wonder  why you worried about it so much. Next time will be much easier.🙂
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hermes 'lost' parcel - **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I paid for a parcel to be collected by Hermes from my home address in England to my parents in Scotland.

The parcel was worth approx £150 and full of toys, Xmas presents for my partners children. 

Long story short after speaking with Hermes the parcel reached my area depot. It left that areas conveyor belt onto a Hermes HGV lorry heading for their Rugby Depot. It never reached the depot. 

Hermes claimed to have carried out extensive investigations but have deemed it lost. The parcel was rather large. 

I don't actually recall the level of insurance I took but I was sure it was more than the standard but my invoice does not itemise it. Hermes say I only had the basic cover. 

Hermes have offered me only £20 compensation and £10.38 for the postage I paid.

I have reported the theft to the police....they were uninterested without cctv.

My question is, the fact that Hermes admit that the parcel was last with their driver then seemingly evaporated, can I claim under the consumer rights act regardless of my level of insurance cover?

I paid for a door to door service and for a signature. I would never have thought I'd need insurance to guard against theft from the very delivery company I was paying to deliver my item.

I have wrote direct to the CEO complaints. They won't budge. I've given them 14 days to refund me or I'll go to small claims. I just don't want to take it all the way if the insurance element is going to screw me over. 

Any advice really appreciated. 

What value did you declare when you booked the parcel in?

Hi Bank fodder 

I don't remember, I think it was about £70. 

Problem was I didn't know the true extent until I added up all the receipts to complete their claim form

Luckily had taken a picture of all the items inside. I submitted them the pictures and receipt evidence. 

I think it is very important to come up with a very precise figure of the value and more importantly, if you declare the value then it is essential to know what it was that you declared.

If you declared a lower value you then the true value then I think that you will probably have to settle for the lower value. You will be able to put a claim in or even bring a small action to recover whatever value declared. We are almost on top of Christmas now so frankly I don't think there's going to be anything you can do until after then and maybe even until the new year.

I certainly don't think that you are going to get your parcel back in time. You probably won't get it back at all.

You now need to start preparing your ground very carefully to bring a claim.

It is such a small value that eventually they will put their hands up but you need to be sure of your values.

Oh yes I know I won't get it back at all. They have told me they've exhausted all their investigations and it seemed to evaporate on their truck. I've no doubt it was stolen. I've reside myself to the fact its gone.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, in my naivety I honestly did not expect a parcel of the size it was and for a paid door to door service, to go 'missing'. 

To be fair they've never argued the value of the parcel, just that I only had basic insurance.

To me this is irrelevant as they have not taken reasonable skill or care to carry out their services. 

The fact that you only had basic insurance is irrelevant but the value that you declared for it is highly relevant. When two parties enter into a contract it is essential that they both agree on the same thing.

You declare a value and then Hermes theoretically makes a decision whether or not to carry your your goods at that value and to accept the risk. If you declare an undervalue you then that is the risk that you have invited them to take and you are bound by the agreement.

therefore we need to know what was your declared value

Just to be clear, I'm not asking you about the actual value. I'm asking you about your declared value. If you didn't actually declare any value in strangely enough you may be better off and you can try claiming for the actual value. However if you declare the value then you will be limited to that sum when making a claim.

Yeah I understood. They haven't ever actually mentioned the original value quoted so in my correspondence to them I've stuck to the £150.

I have asked if they offer ADR as we cannot come to an agreement, which they ignored

The last email I sent, I made reference to the consumers rights breach and asked for £150 compensation.

I have given 14 days and advised if we cannot agree I will have no choice but to file a claim.

I'll just persevere. 

Thank you for your advice.

Thank you.

I've just managed to check my online account. I stated £100.00 so that's better than what I thought. In future I'll know to properly calculate. To be fair I'll never use a courier service other than royal mail ever again. 

Okay. In that case your claim will be for £100.

I hope you won't mind me commenting your in your approach to this so far.

I don't know if you have read many Hermes threads on this forum that you will tend to find that their attitude is not at all customer-facing. They are dismissive and they will treat you with contempt. I expect that this is because the majority of people who find themselves in your situation simply accept what Hermes say and chalk it up to experience.

The fact that you even bother to ask them if they have some ADR system in place shows an element of innocence and of course they ignored you because when people come up with these kinds of suggestions, Hermes know that they are in control and that eventually you will simply exhaust yourself and disappear.

You have even sent them 14 day threat and then you have come here asking for advice about shows very clearly that your threat amounted to nothing because you had no clear idea of what you are going to do once they got your thread – which they are doing. I'll huff and I'll puff and then… errr ....

If you're going to do anything about this, you need to be direct and controlling. That means that you write them a letter and tell them that by their own admission they have lost your parcel which was declared at a value of £100 and was accepted by them on that basis. Tell them that you aren't prepared to accept any further delay. If they will not let you have a refund of the value of the item within 14 days then you will see them in the County Court and without any further notice.

Only make the threat if you are prepared to go ahead with it. We are on top of Christmas so you won't be sending the letter today or tomorrow or on Boxing Day. So give yourself three days to look around this site about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that you understand how easy it is – but also any risks of losing your court fees (which in your case will be minimal).

If you decide that you are prepared to take this action then send the letter of claim. On day 15 issue the papers. In the intervening 14 days, register with the money claim website and prepare your particulars of claim and you can save your work so that you can click it off on day 15.

If this goes to trial then your chances of success are better than 95%. The chances of them putting up their hands before the expiry of your 14 day deadline are probably only 50%. Once you issue the papers then the chances that they will put their hands up to avoid a hearing will be 90%. There is a risk that they may push you to a hearing in which case you will have to commit to a hearing fee of about £100. You will get these back when I then they put their hands up all you win at trial.

The chances of them going to the expense of defending this issue on such a small sum are negligible. Apart from anything else, they wouldn't like to find a judgement against them for a lost parcel published on this website or elsewhere.

We will support you all the way. Let us know what you want to do

Thank you bank fodder.

I won't be letting this go. I have been very clear in my correspondence what I intend to do and already sent them the letter 2 days ago advising them that the fault is there's and that they are in breach under the consumer rights act

That the insurance is irrelevant as I believe the parcel has been stolen and I quoted a police crime reference number. I gave them 14 days to give me full compensation or I will be taking it to court. I even told them how depressed this has made me having lost my children's toys at Christmas. Not one shit given by them, so you're right they do not care about their customers.

I have offered ADR as the gov site for small claims suggest it strengthens your case as it shows you really did attempt to resolve with them and they left no choice but to take it to court.

On day 15 I'll make the claim.

I'll keep you posted. 

Thanks very much for helping. 

• 2 weeks later...

After countless emails from Hermes refusing compensation my final email was to inform them a small claim had been lodged with the courts.

I followed this up yesterday with a freedom of information request for the last known details of the parcel to include vehicle and driver details and the action they took with the last known parcel recipient and details of their investigation, places searched etc.

My local newspaper are also pursuing them as they will be publishing a story in the coming weeks.

Out of the blue I had a phone call from Hermes today. They will be paying £160 in my bank.

When asked why the change of heart, they simply said they concluded the investigation and confirm the parcel as missing. Which they knew all along, they really meant they can't deny it's been stolen. 

It has taken all this, countless emails, threat of court action and the local newspaper, which it really shouldn't, for them to admit they were wrong.

I hope this helps someone if god forbid they have this trouble in the future. 

• Like 1

Well done and thank you for updating us.

You've managed to get a better result than I had expected. Bravo.

• BankFodder changed the title to Hermes 'lost' parcel - **WON**

Also, I notice on an earlier post that you said you would only use Royal mail in the future.

Don't imagine that you get better treatment from Royal mail. They have a statutory exemption from certain liabilities in return for providing a Universal Postal Service - which means even delivering to remote places which are uneconomic to them.

I'm afraid that commercial couriers are probably best in terms of asserting your rights - but be careful to declare the correct value