HARLANDS charging ridiculous admin fees

spuggyman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I cancelled my membership with xercise4less in august and they took the last DD on august 28th

apparently i should have let them take another one as it was 30 days notice.

Yesterday I got a text message telling me to check my emails for an email from CRS

i did & the letter said they want to charge me £187 for not paying the last DD.

I rang them up ( which now i know from reading other threads) is a mistake

i said to the bloke on the phone i wouldn't be paying any of the charges and offered to pay the £15.99 i had missed

he said was "we can charge you and that's not how it works"

I am very upset and really frustrated about all of this,

i dont see why i should have to pay £170.

Any help would be gratefully received

You don't have to pay it. It's an excessive penalty and don't worry.

Our site team member @slick132 will probably be along before too long it takes a particular delight in dealing with gym memberships and Harlands et cetera

• dx100uk changed the title to HARLANDS charging ridiculous admin fees

To stop worrying. We the other threads. And wait for @slick132

gym debts don't show on credit files

gyms don't do court

you should never ever use the phone and discuss debt with anyone,

let alone a powerless gym payment admin company

- writing only put the phone down 

send harlands one of the std slick132 letters here OFFERING the owed gym fee but NO unlawful admin fees.

give them 14 days.

should they fail to accept your offer, you are safe to ignore everyone/everything more related to this issue.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

In the meantime, read our customer services guide and make sure the you have implemented the advice there any time you do anything on the telephone with any company – regardless of what it is.

Hi Spuggy and welcome to CAG

BankFodder uses a dictation App, hence the  occassional error like in post #5 which should read - "To stop worrying, read other threads and wait for @slick132 "

Were you beyond the minimum 12 month m/ship term when you wanted to cancel ?

Please confirm when you joined the gym.

Or was it a month to month agreement.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks Spuggy,

If you told the gym or Harlands you wanted to cancel in August 18, and then let a further DD be taken from the bank, you  have nothing to worry about.

Was this, in fact, the case ?

How did you tell the gym or Harlands you wanted to cancel please ?

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

My apologies, I have just looked through the dates and I actually cancelled with them on September 10th 2019 in their online form and then cancelled the DD and the last  DD had been taken from my bank on August 28th.  So I have failed to make the final payment of £15.99 that they wanted from me in September. I feel like kicking myself for cancelling the DD but I’d not been for months and I couldn’t really afford it. 

Does this mean I am in the wrong and should pay up? I really don’t want to as I feel these charges are unfair and disproportionate but I am worried the charges will grow and I will ultimately have to pay a higher price.  I’ve not been able to think about anything else now for 2 days. The man at CRS seemed pretty adamant I was in the wrong and had to pay it all 

As a side note any communication I have had from them has been via email which has automatically gone into my junk folder so I’ve not seen it until they sent me this text telling me a debt collector was after me and to check my junk folder. Surely this can’t be a proper way to communicate with people as they can’t ensure you’ve seen their previous requests for money. 

Edited by spuggyman

so as advice post 6 then...:lol:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes, you were in the wrong but that doesn't mean you have to agree to their demands, as DX says above.

Dear Harlands,

I refer to my membership at Xercise4Less gym in {town/city].

I now realise I cancelled the DD before you could take the final gym fee due, for the notice period.

I therefore offer to pay the outstanding £xx.xx for the notice period to settle this matter.

I will pay no admin fees and, if you confirm in writing that you will accept the amount of £11.99 in full settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you promptly. Please supply the necessary bank account details and reference no. to facilitate this.

If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any higher amount, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

Yours Sincerely,

Send this to Harlands at their Haywards Heath address and get a free Cert of Posting from the PO.

Keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply, i have been very poorly over the christmas break.

Thank you for your help in this matter,  I have sent the letter and am awaiting a response via post.  I have since had phone calls (which i ignored) and text messages from them telling me to get in touch asap. I am following your advice and ignoring all of their attempts to contact me if it is not via post. 

I will let you know if they get back to me about this. 

Thanks again, you have really put my mind at rest about all of this. 

Hi Spuggy,

Yes, continue to ignore any calls, texts or emails.

When did you send the offer letter to Harlands.

Let us know if they reply in writing to your letter.