BankFodder BankFodder

andyred03

State pension overpayment

Looking for some advice regarding pension overpayment. My father had his state pension start in November. They didn't pay him on time so got a back payment of £1000 roughly last week. Yesterday he had the same amount go in again. Clearly a duplicate payment. He has got onto financial trouble over the last couple of years due to I'll health and this payment would certainly ease that. Wondering should I inform them or will they chase him for the overpayment. 

Thanks in advance

Pete

Hi.

I think if they find there's an overpayment they may just deduct it from future pension payments.

It could be worth writing to them and asking to see their calculations, that way you should be able to work out if they've got it right or not.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

My understanding is that if they make an overpayment in state pension they have a duty to recover it if they can. Whether by deduction from future pension or by seeking immediate repayment in full. 

So if you suspect that £1,000 overpayment has been made but you spend it hoping they won't notice/won't ask for it back is high risk for you (your father). Query it with them now to avoid future hassle. 

Best to contact them and make sure, also do it in writing, keep the money on one side  for now and don't spend it but be prepared to pay it back, keep all receipts and letters etc, as DWP   Pensions might mess up and pass it to Debt Recovery even if you pay it all back and start deducting it anyway, so you need a paper trail.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Has your father checked that he's claiming everything he's entitled to? He could look at the entitledto benefits calculator or maybe his council has a welfare rights adviser. My MiL got help locally when she was widowed.

Also, have we seen details of your father's debts to see if we can help?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Good points HB

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!