BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• So with a long working history, which she can evidence, it should not be a problem. Still have to go though HRT process for any benefit application, if they have been out of the UK for more than 6 weeks. It won't be a smooth process though. Suggest they try to get advice via Embassy, before they start any journey.
    • Dep Thx Eric's Brother. There was a person on this forum who told me his case was thrown out at the same court because of the contract. I requested more info, but he has disappeared since his case was dismissed.  I was just wondering whether it was worth whacking off a letter to IPS pointing out one of their members, using their logo, is making a claim based on illegal signage and other issues in contravention of their Code of Practice. Would they lean on VCS to withdraw, do you think?
    • Mother and father worked here and then went to SA in about 1978 returning to UK in about 1996 and worked here until 2016 when her husband died at age 66.  He was still working at the time.  She then went to live with daughter in SA.  Mother only claims for her pension. 
    • Thanks, I owe the money, no issue with that, I will SAR the company.  If I need to just pay it and have the CCJ for a few years so be it.  Just thought I'd explore all options
    • By the way you wrote that post, i can see that you are as confused by the situation as someone reading it. Important advice must be not to pay for any flights etc, until they understand the situation fully. Those that have British passports could be entitled to receive UK benefits. However, nothing is that straightforward. The passport does guarantee anything. The daughter could be entitled to Universal Credit ( which includes housing) as a British passport holder, but this can only be confirmed when she has gone through the Habitual Residency test (HRT). So you will need to read about HRT for British passport holders returning to the UK. There will be requirements to provide information about why they are returning to the UK and what work searches have they done to find work on their return to the UK. In regard to the mother who has a British passport, you will be correct in presuming that no council is going to be helpful in paying for the care home fees immediately on arrival in the UK. When did the mother last live in the UK ? When did the mother last work in the UK ? British embassy in South Africa may be able to provide information and assist with applications ? Just getting on a plane, landing in the UK and expecting help to resolve their situation, would be a silly thing to do. I can see the mother ending up in an NHS hospital for a period, while people wondered how they were going to deal with the situation. Probably not the first to do this, but if the mother also has a South African passport, they could put her on a plane back to SA and then the Daughter would be a difficult situation. Embassy in South Africa must be first place of advice.
  • Our picks

brickwall1958

Inland Revenue has sent me someone else's tax return

I sent in a Self Assessment for Self Employment by the 31 October 2019 deadline and the Inland Revenue has written back to me asking for some more information on the supplementary evidence page.

They say they have sent with this a scanned image of my tax return but they have sent me someone else's SA102 form.

This has their name, address NINO, full bank account details and all their income information.

My worry is where has my information been sent to?

This is surely a breach of data protection.

Any advice please on what I should do?

They say they are going to fine me £100 if I don't get my reply back by 23 December 2019.

Hi.

I wouldn't miss the 23rd December deadline because I think the fine can go up from £100 if you take too long. Are you able to give them the information they need?

The GDPR breach is separate thing, it sounds serious. Hopefully other people will be along to advise on that.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for reply. Yes we will still try and get our reply to them although it would have helped to send us the correct scanned tax return!

Indeed. But HMRC never admit they're wrong so if you can, do what they ask.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

HB is right - comply with their request for info or data by the deadline if you can.

Deal with the data breach as a separate issue if you want to.  You could tell them you've been sent someone else's tax return and are anxious that yours may have been sent out to the wrong person in the same way.

I doubt if this was the case but you could also send HMRC a SAR with the £10 fee to find out all you can about what HMRC have about you.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

send a copy with a letter of complaint to the ICO and a separate complaint to HMRC  but not this office they wont knowe what to do with it. look up the relevant office

No £10 fee for SAR nowadays, the GDPR makes it free

Thanks EB - force of habit ! ☺️

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Do you need them to send you a scanned copy before you can reply? Surely you kept a copy of what you sent them?

Hi, thanks for all replies.

Have telephoned the number on the letter from HMRC and told them we have someone else's tax return and enough details on them to steal their identity if we were dishonest.

They didn't seem bothered in the least, told my husband that they looked it up and it wasn't in their system (whatever that means).

He asked them that didn't they think it was a serious breach of data protection but it didn't seem to occur to them.

They have asked him to send it back which I will do tomorrow along with a letter of complaint from us.

He also telephoned the unfortunate person who details we have, he felt they have a right to know, and it turns out it is a vulnerable person with a Power of Attorney, the PofA was not best pleased but thanked us for letting them know. We have kept the details of our tax return so can get that back now.

Please don't post in blocks of text - it makes it hard for us to read so please use spacing. Thanks to DX for adding spacing.

Your complaint should be in writing, not by phone.

I would keep the copy return to send to the ICO in due course, as suggested above and I would not send it back to HMRC for now.

But firstly focus on sending in the required info for your own tax return.