Inland Revenue has sent me someone else's tax return

brickwall1958
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1585 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent in a Self Assessment for Self Employment by the 31 October 2019 deadline and the Inland Revenue has written back to me asking for some more information on the supplementary evidence page.

They say they have sent with this a scanned image of my tax return but they have sent me someone else's SA102 form.

This has their name, address NINO, full bank account details and all their income information.

My worry is where has my information been sent to?

This is surely a breach of data protection.

Any advice please on what I should do?

They say they are going to fine me £100 if I don't get my reply back by 23 December 2019.

Hi.

I wouldn't miss the 23rd December deadline because I think the fine can go up from £100 if you take too long. Are you able to give them the information they need?

The GDPR breach is separate thing, it sounds serious. Hopefully other people will be along to advise on that.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

HB is right - comply with their request for info or data by the deadline if you can.

Deal with the data breach as a separate issue if you want to.  You could tell them you've been sent someone else's tax return and are anxious that yours may have been sent out to the wrong person in the same way.

I doubt if this was the case but you could also send HMRC a SAR with the £10 fee to find out all you can about what HMRC have about you.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks EB - force of habit ! ☺️

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi, thanks for all replies.

Have telephoned the number on the letter from HMRC and told them we have someone else's tax return and enough details on them to steal their identity if we were dishonest.

They didn't seem bothered in the least, told my husband that they looked it up and it wasn't in their system (whatever that means).

He asked them that didn't they think it was a serious breach of data protection but it didn't seem to occur to them.

They have asked him to send it back which I will do tomorrow along with a letter of complaint from us.

He also telephoned the unfortunate person who details we have, he felt they have a right to know, and it turns out it is a vulnerable person with a Power of Attorney, the PofA was not best pleased but thanked us for letting them know. We have kept the details of our tax return so can get that back now.

Please don't post in blocks of text - it makes it hard for us to read so please use spacing. Thanks to DX for adding spacing.

Your complaint should be in writing, not by phone.

I would keep the copy return to send to the ICO in due course, as suggested above and I would not send it back to HMRC for now.

But firstly focus on sending in the required info for your own tax return.