Self-employed, haven't registered with HMRC, JSA claim worries

NoMatch3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1598 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I’m looking for some advice regarding my current situation. I’ve been self-employed for the last 7 years but have never registered with HMRC. My earnings are very modest (around £1k-2k each year), well below the Personal Allowance, so I do not owe any outstanding tax.

Regrettably, I was still claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for a period of around 10 months whilst the self-employed work began. (A few photography jobs - a hobby that turned into paid work - over the course of these 10 months). Once it became clear the work was ongoing and semi-regular I stopped claiming the JSA.

I want to now enter full or part-time employment and stop being self-employed and as I see it I have two options:

Contact HMRC and tell them about the last 7 years of self-employment, but I’m assuming they’ll pick up on the JSA crossover period straight away. Any advice on what I could expect, consequence-wise from this?
Or alternatively, is it a feasible/sensible idea to just proceed with finding a new job, like I haven’t been self-employed on a low income for the last 7 years? Am I likely to encounter any issues from that down the road, or from HMRC wondering what I’ve been doing for the last few years?

Well you will be best off being straight dealing with everybody because if HMRC discover that you aren't then it could be quite serious.

Other than that I'm not sure what other advice this forum could properly give you