landlord refunded £600 deposit protection scheme

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1812 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have had a letter today from our landlord relating to our deposit, We have been with the same landlord since 2011 never missed any rent and always looked after the house, When we paid the deposit the landlord gave details of the deposit protection scheme. however today the landlord offered to refund our £600.00 from our deposit and hold only £100.00 to cover any cleaning.

Never heard of landlord refunding money from deposit scheme and unsure if to accept of money, sounds strange way the landlord is acting. Again never had rent issues nor missed or late payments letter just states they are offering money to good tenants 

Should we take the money or not 

HI

I do hope the Landlord has put this request to you in writing if not make sure and ask for it in writing. (you want to keep a paper trail just in case)

Does seems a bit strange so the first thing I would do is speak to the tenancy deposit scheme your deposit is protected in to make sure it is actually in that scheme and the amount. (you should have been given a copy of the prescribed terms of the scheme the deposit is in).

Then ask if the Landlord is allowed to does what you have posted.

get it all in writing.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

the £100 would still have to stay in a protected scheme but it looks like the LL is trying to save themselves a tenenr a year by not having to use a registered scheme.

No LL is forced to take deposits but what is considered a deposit has changed over time so his scheme will not end well if he wants out of the TDS  because the £100 is still a deposit.

I would seek a little clarity on why LL thinks this is a good idea and bear in mind that the offer doesnt do you any particular favour and there is no obligation to accept it.Even 2 months rent in advance when rent payable monthly is still a deposit despite attempt to dress it otherwise

The LL has confirmed in writing offering to refund £600.00 just stating they are offering this to good tenants the refund.

Deposit scheme said the would then hold the £100 ince the LL issue the refund. Just seems strange way the LL has acted never had any problems. 

My only question will the tenancy agreement need amending to show the refund or should we take the money 

if you take the money you will have agreed to vary the TA no no action necessary as there will be a paper trail to stop anyone claiming it wasnt so.

however, I would leave the money there as it will be a useful lump sum when you do finally move out. I can see why the LL may offer this if they have to pay management fees based on the amount held in the scheme.

Up to you as it does no harm but offers you no benefit either