Problems with Admiral car insurance - third party claim

Natmb84
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

Can anyone help me out. 
17/03/19 I had a car accident. My car was written off by a car leaving a junction, I was on the main road. Both the junction and the main road I was travelling on, was traffic light controlled. The driver and I both said the other person had run a red light and without independent witnesses it was my word against his. 

Admiral came to me with an offer to settle 50/50 on 2/10/19 and on the advice of my solicitors I accepted not only because of that advice but because my insurance is due to renew on 5/01/20, I am also trying to claim damages back including £450 excess although I accept I will only get half back now. It is now 8 weeks later and I haven’t heard anything from Admiral and they haven’t responded to my solicitor. They are basically making my life a misery because it’s all worry about i am on a tight budget and with the claim not settled my insurance will go up by £600. 
Admiral are being most unhelpful. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

When did you formally accept their offer? Was that 8 weeks ago, approximately 7th October? Did you sign their formal documents accepting the offer? If so I'd expect them to have paid by now

Who are you trying to claim damages back from? If it's from the third party that could be why there is a delay (because the TP may be pursuing their claim against you and not accepting a 50/50 settlement). Did your solicitor recommend you made the claim against the TP? 

Have Admiral offered to renew your policy on 5/1/20? If they have offered renewal at a premium £600 higher than last renewal why is it a problem that your claim hasn't been paid to you yet?

Sorry I should have made this more clear, I am claiming against Admiral. 
The accident most definitely wasn’t my fault (I know everyone says this) but it wasn’t! the third party denied liability absolute radio silence from admiral until 2/10/19 when I got a letter from my solicitor stating Admiral have offered a 50/50 settlement, I accepted for the reasons I stated above. I formally accepted this offer. 
I far as I am aware the TP are not perusing a claim, should I have been made aware if they are? 

My insurance is with Markerstudy, however my policy is due for renewal on the 5/01/20 I either stick with Markerstudy or find a new provider, with an open claim my insurance with any provider is going to go up minimum £600 It will be less even with a 50/50 settlement. 

Edited by Natmb84

A 50:50 claim usually means their insurance sorts their car and your insurance sorts yours. I’m not clear if you have put in a claim to yours? So the offer should come from Makerstudy

Edited by CraigMcK
Correction

1 hour ago, CraigMcK said:

A 50:50 claim usually means their insurance sorts their car and your insurance sorts yours. I’m not clear if you have put in a claim to yours? So the offer should come from Makerstudy

This is wrong, you're thinking knock for knock, which probably hasn't happened for 30 year in insurance, too many variables, risks of personal injury at later dates etc. 

OP have you had confirmation from your insurer that the £600 increase will go down after the claim is closed ?  the NCD will be affected by this claim in the same way if you take 50% blame or 100%   

If your current insurer have said it will go down when the claim is closed, hold them to that, get it in writing and you can reclaim it. 

There's a general hesitation from people about going to other providers when a claim is open, apart from a bi of additional admin, i.e. telling your new insurer when the claim is finally closed, that's all that blocks you from going, again if you can get a premium reduction for a closed claim, get that in writing from the new provider. 

From a perspective of 8 week from Admiral, that is a bit long, but apart from your solicitors issuing proceedings (which they won't do) you are in their mercy. 

That said, you need to also speak to both your current insurers claims department and your own solicitor, as "waiting for the third party" can be translated in "we've got the response from the other side, but we have a 3 week backlog of work". It could also be that there are negotiations going on over the claims costs etc, you just need to ask, find out, nag, nag again, nag some more, and if you are not happy complain.