MMA gym threatened debt collectors on me

Vitamits
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

Bit of a sticky situation, I've been trying to cancel my membership since the end of October. I was told I had to give a 10 day notice. I said fair enough, then asked about freezing my account - which I was told I could do at any time during the month without giving notice.

However, I tried that a couple of days ago and they said I had to give a 10 day notice and a 28 day notice for cancelling it. They are obviously feeding me misinformation, but it wasn't emailed or anything so I can't provide any actual proof.

They charged me again this month for £48, but since I had cancelled the direct debit last month - I got the payment refunded. When I called the gym, I was told that they would pass my case to the debt collector as I should've given notice.

Any advice you guys can give me?

Who can do stuff all

Ignore

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A dca

not BAILIFFS on any debt

gyms dont do court

dont show on credit files

from the very 1st attempt to cancel date

ideally you show have allowed one further payment

but they got greedy and you did right by using the dd guarantee.

forget about it

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ideally you should allow one membership payment following your cancellation.

If you wish to write and offer that alone with no admin fees

See one of the many slick132 letters here in this forum

Dx

and they

Hi Vitamits and welcome to CAG

You were unwise to rely on info from gym staff - they are not generally well-informed and will often tell you anything to keep THEIR life simple.

Seeing your post #5 above, did the gym staff member now agree you owe nothing more ?

Let them threaten all they like - gyms and their DCA's are not successful at enforcing alleged debts.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you, yes - she confirmed I owed nothing and that its fully cancelled and that if I wanted to rejoin at a later date, to let her know that she would write off the joining fee.

Its a small independent gym, and the staff usually works closely with the owner, there was a lot of miscommunication which she recognized as I called her out on the things they previously told me.

Ok, lets see if the gym and the m/ship admin company communicate properly and leave you alone.

If anyone comes after you for gym fees or admin fees, let us know.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)