Claiming old charges with contractual interest

tnook
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. Starting a new thread on the journey to reclaim my very old charges. The story so far. After chasing Barclays for almost 18 months and with days to go before a court hearing they handed over my credit card statements from 2001-2004. Many thanks to everyone who helped along the way. 

I’ve had a quick look through the statements there are approximately 20 charges there. £15-20 pounds each. I’ll sort them by credit card account and add them to the compound interest spreadsheet.  Then update here. 

• Haha 1

Glad you started the new thread and watching ..............

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

don't forget the shelley and martin2006 threads 

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok I plugged in the charges to the spreadsheet and I am getting some very big numbers out. 

I could split it into separate claims for the different credit cards. However even then the amounts are over the small claims threshold. 

Should I split it further? That would probably annoy the courts.

Is there a claim amount where BC start to put up a proper fight?

Are the cards still active?

if not you cant charge CI past the date they stopped charging their int IMHO

but you can charge staint on that total till they settle

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No they are no longer active.

Why is there a limit to only charging CI during their active span?

I would have thought BC would have carried on making money on the charges I paid from the date of the charge onward.

nor investing at their card rate past when its not charged by them so neither can you.  

Rather than do CI

Use restitutional at 24.9%

Slick132 is the master on this

and they

I'm learning  :) So contractual is different from restitutional then?

Can I claim restitutional for the elapsed time from the charge till the claim date?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Tnook,

What rate did you use on the compound int't spready referred to in post #4 above.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

24.9% see Shelley thread

and they

Restitution..until they settle

• Like 1

and they

Over the years, it's a figure that has been used successfully and is perhaps more easy to justify.

Also, as time marches on, older charges result in high amounts of restitutionary interest that can take claims beyond the safety of Small Claim £10K limit.

Let us know the approx figures you have for default fees and for compound interest thereon when  you use 24.9%.

Thanks Slick. There are 4 credit cards in the statements. Using the CI spreadsheet at 24.9% I get:

Credit card 1:

Charges = £150   (8 charges)

Comp Interest = £6,681

Credit card 2:

Charges = £60 (3 charges)

Comp Interest = £2,191

Credit card 3:

Charges = £130 (7 charges)

Comp Interest = £5,949

Credit card 4:

Charges = £60 (3 charges)

Comp Interest = £2,192

Total charges = £400

Total comp interest = £17,014

I guess I could run these as separate claims.

Edited by tnook

Seeking advice on this for you ..........

Fascinating how sensitive the percent rate is on compounded interest. I was just trying the spreadsheet with the following values:

24.9% -> £17k interest (as above)

29.9% -> £32k interest

34.9% -> £61k interest (currently highest interest rate BC charge customers)

Don’t worry I’m not planning the impossible 🤣

Edited by tnook

Yes, a tiny increase in the interest rate results in a significant hike in the compound interest on the spready. And the older the charges being reclaimed, the greater the effect of compound interest.

Advice from Site Team on the amounts involved is to proceed with card #1 claiming the £150 + £6681and card #2  claiming £60 + £2191. Total of £9,082 is within Small Claims limit of £10K.

Crack on though because interest will continue to rise rapidly.

Please remind us, have you reclaimed from BC (or other card) before.

Yes, splitting a single card claim into multiple claims would cause problems. If/when the bank looked to settle a claim, they'd want you to agree that the refund is in F&F Sett't of all claims regarding that account.

Secondly, please hold off sending the letter(s) while Site Team discussions are ongoing about this case.

Guys just to let you know. Chasing these claims is more out of the principle for me. Truly value the help CAG give and provide. Admire the reassurance and advice you give, especially to those in desperate need. Will be looking to donate a significant portion of the final claim. 

Edited by tnook