GiovanniSK

AVIVA INSURANCE STORAGE FEES

Hi,

I have recently made a third-party claim from AVIVA CAR INSURANCE for my mother’s vehicle which was hit severely damaging the quarter panel, completely broken tail light & also the back bumper with a few other minor damages around the area.

I have claimed back the costs of damage which was extremely challenging & now they are refusing to pay out storage fees which my mother has already paid for.

Their reasoning for this is because “We were not notified the vehicle was in storage” & they expected it to be kept on the driveway where there is no space & parts broken on the vehicle falling off.

Regardless they didn’t seem too bothered & say “we have listened to the initial phone call & storage was not mentioned” & baring in mind I also was not offered any storage.

They say if they knew they would’ve made arrangements & taken my car away which my mother said from the start I will do it all myself I do not want them to touch my car.  

I will take this further with a solicitor & told them to expect a letter.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks for the help! 

Firstly, please would you avoid posting in solid blocks of text. It is very difficult for people to follow and it discourages people who might otherwise be very enthusiastic about helping you. You can see that one of the site team has rearranged your text to present it in a way that is easier on the eye.

What is the value of the storage that you are claiming here? How long was in storage for? Was it inspected by Aviva – and if so where, in the storage area or in the repair garage?

It certainly is a shame that you didn't give notice of the vehicle is in storage. I see also that you are communicating with them on the telephone. You are new here so you won't read our customer services guide. However you should make a point of doing this now and implementing the advice there in all dealings with this insurance company and with any other company that you talk with on any subject whether you are in conflict with them or not. This is elementary survival.

If you make threats such as proposing to bring in a solicitor and send them a letter, then you should normally have plan to do this and know what your steps are going to be an put your threat into operation. Empty threats amount to a bluff and you simply lose credibility. Frankly I doubt whether they believed you for a moment. Also, it is highly unlikely that a solicitor would make much difference and it would simply cost you money.

If you can deal with the questions I posed above then maybe we can give you some advice.

Hiya, thanks for the advice! I have been speaking to them over the phone & they were being very difficult with payment of damages & made the process longer than necessary.

The storage fees were at the rate of £35 a day for around 45 days or so totalling around £1800 including recovery. The vehicle was brought out of storage back to the home address when the appointment for inspection was due. 

After the inspection it was put back into storage & I then waited for the payment to be made. The day I received payment it was taken out immediately as I did not want to incur costs myself. 

Thank you once again for your help

I think you're going to have a difficult time. They are quite right that you should have let them know that it was in storage so that they had an option. Then it would have fallen squarely in their court. You're talking about quite a substantial amount of money here. A shame also that the inspection didn't occur at the storage so that you could say that they had constructive notice of the fact that the car was in storage.

I suspect that if you go and see a solicitor your get broadly the same advice and if you do find a solicitor who is prepared to take it on and to send letters off for you, I would consider it probably irresponsible of that solicitor and all they had in mind really was getting some fees from you on something which has a very low chance of success.

I'm normally very enthusiastic about taking on insurance companies but in this case I would say that your chances of success are probably no better than about 55% and those are not odd is that I like. Normally speaking an insurer would put their hands up if the case was obviously stacked against them but in this case I can imagine that Aviva would decide to take you on with a high chance of success.

I wouldn't normally recommend going to the ombudsman because the ombudsman service is weak and industry friendly. I suspect that you would not get a favourable decision if you enter the ombudsman in this case but at least it wouldn't cost you any money and so it's probably worth a punt.

If you really feel strongly about it and you are prepared to take the risk of losing your claim fee and maybe a hearing fee, then you could threaten legal proceedings in the County Court. They will be under the small claims rule so that even if you lost the case – which I consider is likely – all you would have to do would be to pay the other side is reasonable costs of travel and also accept the loss of your own claim fee and hearing fee which I suppose would be about £150 or so.

You could try issuing the claim and then offering to settle for something less than the £1800. I think if you offer them a reduce figure now, they would take it as a sign of weakness and they would tell you to go and do the other thing. Frankly I think that would be the right thing for them to do.

I'm sorry I can't be more positive about your position. If you had simply advise them as to the storage and the costs then if they had made alternative arrangements you wouldn't have had the problem and if they had ignored you then at least you would have it on the record and you would have no problem getting your money back. Also, if they had been responsible for the storage costs I can imagine that they would have moved themselves rather more quickly in settling your claim. I'm afraid I don't think you did yourself any favours

Knowing the state of the vehicle they knew it had to be kept somewhere safe for the duration of the claim & a driveway which they claim they thought it was staying at was full as a hire vehicle had to be parked on it. 

I am not obligated to hand over my vehicle to these guy whom I have no idea what they’ll do with it. I found it quite reasonable for a £35 a day storage fee so it’s not like I acted irresponsibly & am asking for anything overpriced, it most likely would’ve been the same for themselves.

I had also let them know that I needed to know the specific date & time their engineer was coming down to see the vehicle as it ‘needed to come out of storage for the inspection’ but all of a sudden they’re not able to find that phone call.

I was quick to be offered to take my vehicle to one of their ‘approved repair garages’ however nothing about storage or anything else before & after I told them I’d have it repaired privately. 

I agree with Bankfodder.

Aviva would be correct not to reimburse such storage fees, if they were never advised.

I can only suggest that you attempt to compromise, by asking for say half of the storage fees amount, on the basis that such fees were going to be part of the claim, it is just the amount, which Aviva would have been able to mitigate, if they were aware earlier.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread