Stolen Number Plates

chris009
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I hope you're well.

I had a real shock yesterday evening!

When I arrived home from work somebody had stolen both number plates off my car.

I don't drive the car all that often and they could have been taken anytime between Tuesday evening and Thursday evening.

As soon as I noticed the plates had been stolen I reported it to the police and obtained a crime reference number and also to the DVLA.

I'm terrified now that i'm going to start receiving all kinds of fines and summons for things I haven't done.

I have kept the receipt for replacing the plates at Halfords and I have tried to do everything in my power to protect myself.

Having done some research I have found all kinds of horror stories of people being fined for speeding and parking tickets and not being able to prove it wasn't them. Even when it was a different model of car.

Does anybody have experience of dealing with this issue, and if there is anything else I can do to protect myself?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Chris 

I am sorry that you have experienced this. It can be completely unsettling, but you could ease your mind a little by taking the following steps.

If you don't at present make diary entries start now, noting movements by time and noteworthy events, people you are with who would be able to confirm your whereabouts later on. This might appear onerous, but doing something positive will help calm your disquiet.

In particular, as you say that you do not use your vehicle very often,  be meticulous noting any journeys, mileometer readings and routes to be able to refute future allegations.

Photograph all views of your vehicle, including any special distinguishing features on a time stamped camera. You could even add discrete stickers before taking those pictures so as to show that any produced by either local authorities (bus lanes, box junctions etc) police for speeding and speculative parking charges from private parking companies are not your vehicle.

Best of luck and should you have problems, come back for specific advice.

Edited by Gick
grammer
  • Like 2

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Hi Gick,

I hope you're well.

Thank you for taking the time to help!

I'm going to start keeping a log of my movements and try and remember to keep my receipts.

I was considering buying a private registration however at £250.00 I think this is far too expensive considering it has already cost me £42.00 to have my number plates replaced by Halfords.

Thanks,

Chris

don't forget your mobile has gps too

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 months later...

As with previous post distinguishing features could help, if at the time you had plates made a flag could be a feature as most people would forget to meticulously document their journey each and every time.