james townsend

Rental car damage debt CLI

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 241 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there

I have been contacted by Credit limits international regarding some hire car damage that occurred during a rental over a year ago, I had not purchased the insurance and damaged the car so they sent me a bill for the damage.

Now the company CLI is pursuing me to pay this.

They asked to set up a payment plan giving me an offer to pay 50% of the original requested amount and said to send them proof the direct debit has been set up.

I asked them for proof that they were allowed to collect the debt for the rental company and they sent me a power of attorney document.

Since then I have found a lot of posts on here stating don't pay them and they can't do anything.

I have now moved abroad and the address they must have posted correspondence to no longer exists.

Just want some advice on whether this is worth paying (the hire company would have had their insurance), and if I don't pay what would happen if they have a previous address that doesn't exist, would it go to court and would I have a judgement against my name effecting me in future?

many thanks

James

In principle, if you rented a vehicle and did not take out any insurance, there would normally be some minimum insurance which covered the vehicle as part of the standard rental fee – but after that there would be an excess that you would be expected to pay. Normally speaking the purchase of insurance is to cover the excess.

In principle it would be reasonable to expect you to pay this.

Yes agreed but the cost is for the full damage - more than £500. If it was an excess it would be much less.

Also my question was whether it's advisable to pay CLI? They have offered me a discount but I have seen so many threads on here saying not to pay them.

cli letter states 'our client' does it not?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

It’s actually 2 ‘power of attorney’ documents - 1 from hertz stating that ‘sj inkasso gmbh’ is authorised to collect claims in their name (hertz). Then another headed with ’skandicinkasso’ stamped ‘sj inkasso gmbh’ authorising CLI to collect the claims submitted for processing in their name.

I have not received anything via post as we were communicating through email and they have an outdated postal address for me.

thanks for any help!

what country was this car hired in/from?

what country did this damage occur in?

what country are you now resident in?

CLI are not debt buyers they are a powerless dca in Europe.

however their clients inkasso are debt buyers but not in the UK

hence the questions.

Thanks for the info.

car was hired in Spain, damage occurred in France and I’m resident in the UK

stuff and all legally these players can do

only hertz can take you to court by getting a uk solicitor to send a letter of claim

or if the debt has been sold and is confirmed by a notice of allocation then on behalf of the new owner.

let me guess this was also all by email?

All correspondence has been via email yes, but the address they have for me no longer even exists... so perhaps I should inform them of my new address? 

I’m not sure if they have bought the debt but they are claiming power of attorney for sj inkasso gmbh, and that company is claiming the same for hertz... so not sure what to do really.

If they sent a court order to my previous address I guess they could proceed with action in my absence...

shouldn't have replied in the first place - there is your big mistake that caused all this.

never ever respond to any fleecers on anything to do with any debt sent email, over the phone or by text.

drop all comms now

block and bounce all emails.

a foreign debt collector that has a uk wing can't ever issue a UK court claim for a foreign debt they don't own .

and anyway there is no asset to do anything with a judgement anyway.

the pointer here is the 50% discount

CLI are simply flying a kite as they think you are a mug that will give them free money for their xmas party drinks bill.

Just one more thing @dx100uk

Is there any legal reason to block or bounce emails or it is just to deter them and from you answering?

What would happen if court action was started with an outdated address, and what if they didn't have a current address for postal correspondence for me? Does that cause me more problems in the long run.

Thanks!

were this a UK debt, it's never a good idea to not inform whomever owns a debt you've moved thus protecting against backdoor CCJ's.

in this instance, I see no danger .

though I also see no danger either in informing, by email, therm of your address, and solely that.

stating..all emails will now be block and bounced. communication by writing only please.

look at it from the otherway, if you'd simply ignored them none of this would have transpired.

but that what kite flying is about.

Hi There

I have now received an email from CLI stating

'In absence of any reply from you to our previous reminders we have are now turning this matter to our doorstep collections department.

Our doorstep collectors will visit you at the above address within 14 days at their convenience as a final attempt to promote an amicable settlement of this debt.

Our doorstep collectors carry out visits at any time of the day but during business hours when attending business premises, the day and into the evening but no later than 9pm when meeting consumers, and never on Sundays.

Remember that it is your right to seek free independent legal advice from debt organisations such as the National Debtline, Stepchange or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

If you have any questions please feel free to telephone us at any time.'

The thing is there is no 'above address' since the address they have for me no longer exists and I now live abroad. What would be the best thing to do in this scenario? They may be able to get a family address for me somewhere and wouldn't want them turning up and threatening my mum... Don't they have to put it through court to make a 'doorstop visit'? And if they don't have a current address for me in the UK how would I be informed of any court action?

Many thanks in advance for advice.

so you didn't block and bounce emails then....

dca's are not bailiffs.. stuff and all they'll do or can do..

I did not block and bounce because you mentioned to give a postal address in the UK and I don't have an official address there.

To do anything they would have to take it to court? and if they do would they not have to inform me in writing? and how would they do this if they don't have an address for me? They say they would make a visit at the address in the email and there is no address.

thank you

what part of CLI can't do anything are you not understanding?

Oh ok sorry, I thought they would be able to initiate legal action because they had the power of attorney document... although that was stating authorisation for them to act on behalf of a debt collection company in Germany and for the company in Germany to act on behalf of Hertz...

The pOA docs say 'collect'

Only the 'owner' of a debt can instigate legal action .