Well I feel a fool

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a text message saying my bill payment had failed, checked my bank account and indeed it hadn't come out

Logged into my ee, checked and only last month's bill had come out

Like an idiot tapped the link in the text and filled in all my details... 

2 mins later realised what looked like a reference number in the link was actually a dodgy website name 

Rang banks [problem] line they've cancelled card, also said other details they took cannot be used to access account 

Checked the big database of passwords and the one I used is only in use on two sites, so changed that

Most of my online accounts have 2 factor authentication on, my banking password is different, they didn't take pin, I have an action fraud number

I feel like a fecking idiot, it's literally come through nearly the same day the bills due out so I just went with it

Edited by labrat
  • Thanks 2

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Very easy to be caught out.

I have had emails or texts about an issue and for a minute I am thinking whether I have to do something.

Advice must be to treat every email or text involving anything money related as potentially dodgy and to investigate first before taking any action.

It seems pretty obvious that peoples internet data is being monitored and made available to criminals. I have had a Hotmail account for years and the emails I get in my junk file mostly relate to something legitimate I have got going on. If I Google search for something and make a purchase through a major retailer, I receive dodgy emails looking to hoax me into providing information.  So somewhere within the system data is ending up where it should not be received.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• stu007 changed the title to Well I feel a fool