Cabot and old Cat Debt - NO CCA - now FOS upheld IRL Complaint Cabot start writing again.

slimceagirl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I CCA'd these last year and Mortimer Clarke said they couldn't produce the original agreement

they  cancelled my direct debit and said they would not be pursuing me until they could.

Now Cabot are chasing me.

Several phone calls, voicemails  a day and at least one letter a week.

They have now sent me a letter saying they would be sending an agent to the house.

I get that they are upping the anti because the debt becomes statute barred next August.

What do I say to them if they call to the house?

doorsteppers like all DCA's are totally powerless and can never be a bailiff

if he does rock up

pick your phone up

put it in movie mode

and film yourself and him 

tell them to leave my property and do not return else you'll call police 101.

do not engage in any conversation.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just ignore unless you receive a PAP letter. 

Chances are you will run out the clock and it will become SB'd.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 year later...

I recently got an irresponsible lending case partially upheld by the FOS against a catalogue.

The final decision is that they must repay interest, fees, delivery costs etc from a certain date.

The debt had originally been sold to Cabot who I was repaying until, on advice from here, CCA'd them.

They cancelled my repayments as the debt was unenforceable.

They continued to send occasional requests for payment which I ignored.

Fast forward to my upheld case:

they have asked the catalogue firm to repurchase the debt of nearly £600 outstanding.

Cabot have contacted me today with an offer to wipe 70% of the outstanding debt with 30 days to decide.

I find this curious considering the catalogue company may be repurchasing the debt.

I'm not really sure what to make of it.

The final balance was over £1700 of which I paid £1100.

Would it mean that remaining £600 disappear from the equation in any redress calculations if I did pay off the reduced balance? (I shan't by the way).

I'm not sure whether to inform the Ombudsman of Cabot's move.

The catalogue have not responded to the adjudicator's decision yet. 

• dx100uk changed the title to Cabot and old Cat Debt - NO CCA - now FOS upheld IRL Complaint Cabot start writing again.

threads merged for history

well dont on the IRL win

thats a good result against a cat company 

tell us more.

you are under no obligation to pay cabot anything.

as stated before

ignore them until/unless you get a letter of claim.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks!

I've had several successes in the past 4 years or so which stemmed from a financially difficult part of my life around 2011/13.

I was financially trapped with Quick Quid, in a cycle of increased borrowing,

during this I'd opened

three catalogue accounts: Studio, JD Williams and Simply Be ,

2 credit cards (Aqua and Barclays) and was juggling finances.

In that time I had got 2 CCJs plus 2 defaults so things were pretty tight.

I was using most of my available credit until things eventually became unsustainable.

When I moved house I used the deposit to pay off Quick Quid and got into arrangements to repay the catalogues. The credit card limit was still rising until 2017 when I borrowed the balance of nearly £6000 from a family member and cleared the Aqua card. The Barclaycard had already defaulted.

In 2017 I began action for irresponsible lending against Quick Quid.

they could not show the criteria they used to make lending decisions and kept lending to me so I won the case.

I was refunded all interest and fees  and charges plus 8% pa. When it was upheld it gave me the confidence to challenge JDW and SB.

These were also upheld and they had to repay interest, fees and charges plus 8% from the second credit limit increase which amounted to about £1200 each.

I challenged Aqua where my redress covering 6 years fees, interest and charges accrued to nearly £9000. 

Barclaycard was not upheld but the default was moved back to an earlier date meaning it expires sooner. 

All my IRL cases succeeded because none of these companies could prove that they had diligently checked my financial history. My credit report clearly showed that I was using a high or at limit proportion of available credit and that I'd accrued two unconnected CCJ's and 2 defaults throughout the lives of these accounts.

Whether they should have given me the accounts in the first place was also brought into question but it was the sustained but gradual increase of CL's time and time again without proper checks.

JDW were unable or unwilling to show the ombudsman what criteria they used.

It only appeared that because I paid on time they continued to offer increases where in reality I was actually juggling finances like a fine balancing act. 

It would appear that the FOS are looking at catalogue debt as I know when my cases against JDW and SB were being investigated they mentioned this. 

My case against Studio should conclude soon.

I was curious as to why now Cabot are trying to cut their losses by offering such a hefty discount.

I can only surmise that Studio are trying to buy back the debt for less.  

great story thank you.

glad all the resources were here to help all these wins.

and they