• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclays re-mortgage, enforcing an FOS ruling in my favour

sharpgun
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i would suggest the I&E letter has no refs to the decision, just a std automated letter.

if the FOS only chased last week i'd give it a while yet before you enter pointless letter tennis.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have decided to send the 7 day letter and commence small claims court proceedings next week after getting a letter from Barclays for me to fill in a I&e form because it says I am in arrears. Totally amazed at the stupidity of this bank. The only problem I have is I don’t know how much I need to ask them reimburse because they won’t send me statements!! Totally refusing to do it. 

What seven day letter are you referring to?

I may be seeing slightly different numbers to you because there is at least one hidden post – but you might make it simple and simply tell me what seven day letter you are referring to

• Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing this letter to give you notice that if I do not receive compliance from Barclays to the order made by the financial ombudsman that you received on the 27th of April (to which you had 28 days to comply) within the next seven days I will commence legal proceedings. I will also seek

costs, damages, and interest on all overpayments.

In order to comply with the order made, Barclays must do the following:

1.Take the marker off my credit file stating I am in arrears. The Ombudsman have deemed this incorrect.

2. Pay the £2000 compensation as ordered by the ombudsman.

3. Refund all overpayments (including interest charged on such overpayments) that were credited to the arrears account which shouldn’t have existed as that was incorporated in the revised mortgage of April 2019.

4. Provide me with all statements showing the monies going in and out of the  arrears account.

If I do not receive a reply, or there are no further steps taken by Barclays to rectify the situation within the next seven days, I am not obliged to provide notice to commence legal proceeding through the courts

A letter of claim normally requires 14 days notice. Maybe you note some rule relating to this kind of enforcement the requires only seven days – but if you don't, then I would say that the letter has to give 14 days notice.

In terms of providing you with all statements et cetera, it might be effective to start by sending them on SAR and if they breach that, then you would have an additional cause of action which could be useful for you. This would be in addition to them complying with the ombudsman order.

I think I had also suggested that you might like to sue them for unfair treatment. Does this appeal to you?

Maybe the best thing to do is to proceed with your original plan to enforce the FOS decision, but also send them an SAR, see how they respond to that and whether their disclosure is complete or even on time and see if you can build up a case for suing them for a breach of the DPA as well as under BCOBS for trying to impose conditions on their compliance with the FOS decision.

There's no need to do it all at one time and so it might be better to keep it simple and to get your substantive problem sorted out.

As far as I know your letter of claim is to be 14 days and if no one else comes along and says that it is only seven days for the enforcement of an FOS decision, be prudent – give them 14 days and then begin your claim.

I'm not sure we've actually had somebody on this forum in the 15 years that we've been running it who has had to go through a court enforcement process of an FOS decision so I hope you will keep as well updated as to how it goes. We'll be following it very keenly and of course will be rooting for you and giving you any advice that we can - although you will probably know more about it than us by the time it's all finished!

The ombudsman says the have never seen a case like this before !! There was 499 plus emails with total misinformation and lies. This has been very stressful causing me to after having open heart surgery to return to hospital with very high blood pressure. They have even tried to stop me having a mortgage holiday but the ombudsman stepped in. It was never ending. To this day I can’t get a loan personally or my business because of the marker that says I’m in arrears which I am not

They recently even tried to put the arrears on top of my new mortgage, which had already taken  into account the arrears which in reality wasn’t arrears because we had agreed to go interest only because of my illness 

Store it all up. Keep it well documented and then once you got the FOS decision sorted out, will have a look at everything and move in for a bit of extra

If they breach the SAR in terms of not complying with the deadline or not making a complete disclosure then it depends on your level of distress. I can see that you are pretty distressed so it may be £100 (the courts are pretty cautious about this kind of stuff).
If we can show that they have been making mistakes and have not been processing correctly – for instance, if they haven't enforced the FOS decision because they haven't got their files together, or if you can show clearly how erroneous they were in trying to add interest to the new mortgage as you've explained above, then that also would be unlawful/inaccurate processing and I'm sure that has caused lots of distress and could be worth another 200 quid or so. We would have to see.

I'm afraid that when we talking about distress then it's a bit like a piece of string.

If you sue for unfair treatment, then that really is an unknown. It depends on the level of unfairness and the impact on you. Because you might be suing on the same facts in respect of breach of data protection, then the award for unfair treatment might only be nominal and I suppose one could ask the court to exercise its discretion up to £200.

So it's not which is beyond compare, but on the other hand these adjustments which the bank will be extremely anxious to avoid – especially the BCOBS judgement.

These figures that I'm suggesting are really just speculation, but I can't see that you would fail in at least getting the judgement – and it would simply be a question of how much money you would get. Of course it would be complicated and embarrassing for the bank and so I can imagine that they would put their hands up because at the end of the day you would simply be claiming pennies and they certainly wouldn't want judgements for breach of statutory duty against them

Well today they paid the compensation but have told me they don’t know when they can  put right the other stuff!! I have told them they have until the 14 days is up. Can’t explain why it took so long and why they are refusing to send me statements. 

Absolutely correct to stick to your deadline.

Have they put the business about not knowing when they put things right in writing?

You say they are refusing to send you statements. Have you sent them on SAR? When?

Do you have this refusal in writing?

What about the other questions?

And I have the refusal of statements in writing!! They said that they couldn’t send statements as I had missed payments on my account which is totally untrue 

and no  they haven’t put in writing about not knowing when things will be out right. It was on a phone call. They are ringing me back Friday so we shall see. The lady who was very apologetic say that it is with senior management now. But the 14 days to put all right runs out next Wednesday 

Write a detailed note of the phone call as far as you can remember it. Make sure that it is timed and dated and file it along with everything else. Do it now before it all starts to fade in your memory.

Then write to them and confirm the phone call and confirm what was said. You can also tell them that you don't understand why they are not able to give you a timeline and that this wasn't explained.

Do these things straightaway.

Have you registered with the moneyclaim website? Have you started to prepare your claim there? I think you should start to get this going and put up a draft particulars of claim here so that we can have a look.
Everything needs to be in order in order to click off the claim in day 15 – assuming that you are prepared to go ahead.

Sorry I suddenly realise it's not money claim – it's on paper. Make sure you got all the necessary forms ready and completed so that you can send them off on day 15

Just got this

Dear Sir
Our client: Barclays Bank UK PLC
Re: Your Letter Before Action dated 9 June 2021
We act for Barclays Bank UK PLC (the Bank) and have been passed a copy of your letter dated 9 June 2021, which is characterised as being a “Letter Before Action”.
We write to confirm that our client is looking into this matter and the alleged issues with the credit file and your mortgage account. The Bank must of course be given a reasonable opportunity to investigate the issues and provide its response. We would therefore ask you to provide us with a copy of the “order” made by the Financial Ombudsman Service on 27 April 2021, so that we may take further instructions from the Bank – we will be happy to receive a scanned copy of this document by email to [email protected]
Whilst we are making these enquiries, we ask that you refrain from taking legal action until you hear further from us. Please be advised that remote working conditions imposed by COVID-19 are affecting the Bank’s and our ability to receive, send, process, and forward post.
Service of any proceedings
Whilst we consider it would be inappropriate and premature for you to issue court proceedings until after the Bank has had an opportunity to provide its substantive response, should you decide to do so, we confirm we are authorised to accept service of those proceedings on behalf of the Bank.
Generally, we do not accept service of documents by email. However, in light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, we are prepared to accept service by email in this case provided that documents are supplied in a readable PDF format not exceeding 10MB in size. We require any exhibits and/or attachments of over 100 pages to also be sent to us in hard copy

They got letter from ombudsman on 27th April??

Dear Sir/Mdm

I knew that Barclays was in a mess but this is really extraordinary. You can't even find a copy of the ombudsman's order.

I'm providing a further copy to you now. Don't lose it this time.

In terms of asking for extra time – the answer is No.

I've had your clients up to the neck and they have caused me damage and inconvenience and distress during a very difficult time in my life. I have no confidence in your clients.

You can also take this as notice that once I have enforced the ombudsman's order in the court, I shall be taking further action against your clients for unfair treatment under the FCA's Banking: Conduct of Business Regulations. If you don't know what they are then you better start looking them up. Once I get a BCOBS judgement, I will be forwarding that to the FCA.

You better get a move on if you want to try and mitigate things.

I would point out to you that your clients are ruthless and now that they feel challenged, they start pleading for extra time.

I suggest that your time is better spent telling your clients to put their affairs in order and to implement the ombudsman's order pronto.

You don't have much time left.

Yours faithfully

I doubt whether they will do very much. They are sufficiently nimble. They will simply launch into some ridiculous useless defence in order to shore up their reputation.

I actually thought about sending them a follow-up message saying that you might be prepared to grant them an extension on payment of £50 a day backdated from the date that the FOS order should have been fully implemented up until the expiry of your 14 day deadline and after that £100 a day up to a maximum extension of 14 days