Hermes/Packlink - parcel not even scanned at ParcelShop!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1526 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Firstly, I am so thankful I came across this site and a massive general thanks to all those working tirelessly to support disadvantaged consumers… every time I find new shameful market practices I am shocked (the latest being courier companies).

So my story…

I had a discount from Sonos due to a faulty item so bought a Sonos Move -  however I am moving away from this ecosystem given the cost so decided to sell it on Ebay and got £375 for it. (note I don't have a photo of my package sent but have my original Sonos order and Ebay receipt by way of evidence).

1) When putting up the item I noticed Ebay had a linked delivery service called Packlink so (naively) figured this would be more efficient than having to arrange a courier myself. I selected Hermes amongst the options and paid extra to get signed delivery.

2) I searched for my closest Hermes drop-off point which was a Co-Op Food Store (the ‘ParcelShop’). I went to the store and they scanned the item and gave me a blue receipt slip.

3) I assumed everything was fine until 4 days later the buyer contacted me on ebay to say the item has not been received.

4) I checked the tracking details on ebay and it simply said a problem had occurred and it seems no-one ever even picked up or scanned the item at the ParcelShop!

5) I immediately contacted Packlink (of course email only) who then ‘escalated’ to Hermes.

For instance on 12th November they wrote:

I already contacted the carrier in regards to your shipment as well as the latest transit information they have on it. I will update you on the matter once they reply.”

Followed by on 14th November:

I still haven't received any response. Unfortunately since it was already escalated I need to wait for their reply. I will update you as soon as they contact me back.”

Following shortly after by an email with an ebay delivery claim form only!

Of course the compensation is £25 only. Having then researched only, I’ve of course learnt what a scandal the whole courier system is and all the excuses/defences they’ll each make (packlink hiding behind Hermes, Hermes behind packlink, T&Cs, I didn’t purchase extra insurance etc).

Putting all of this aside, I am just furious that my parcel wasn’t even picked up so just do not see how this does not constitute negligence and a basic failure of duty of care. Furthermore, they have made no genuine attempts whatsoever to locate the item (given they view the worst-case liability as £25 which is already partially offset by the delivery fees paid).

Thankfully though, I stumbled upon this forum so wanted to seek advice as to how to proceed before initiating any former action… some points of consideration / options, I’d love some advice on:

·         Should I be claiming against Packlink, Hermes (or even Co-Op Food?)

·         I know that Hermes will claim I didn’t have a direct contract with them, but obviously there is the whole right of third parties act – do I need to get any formal subrogation of rights from Packlink and do they ever provide this (given challenge to contact them anyhow)

·         Should I be contacting Co-Op and requesting them to look into CCTV footage (most likely either the package was left around and a customer stole it, or an employee stole it, or the courier never bothered to scan) – and what rights do I have to request this? Should I be even reporting this to the police?

·         Should I be contacting Sonos lest they have the serial number of the device and can check if it is being used? (long shot I know)

·         Assuming you agree I have a case, any advice / example letters before action or other steps I should take, would be hugely appreciated!

Of course, let me know if I can provide any other info etc at this stage.

Full tracking notes:

Thu, 14 Nov 2019 9:24 PM

N/A

Claims code issued

Fri, 8 Nov 2019 5:42 PM

N/A

Driver not scanned at ParcelShop

Thu, 7 Nov 2019 8:34 PM

N/A

Order placed

Thu, 7 Nov 2019 6:52 PM

N/A

Missing Pre-Advice

N/A

Dropped off at the ParcelShop

Have you been back to the parcelshop to check if they have any record

yes - but do they have records that it was collected?  

Did you declare the correct value when you booked the delivery?

So I'm trying to understand… Is there a record that it was collected by Hermes? Or does the trail go cold with the Co-op?

What about the value?

I have not been given any definitive clarity but as far I can ascertain the log that says 'Driver not scanned at ParcelShop' means the courier never scanned a pickup. Obviously that could mean either it was 'lost' before collection or he took it but didn't scan. 

Re the value, I booked the postage through eBay so cannot recall if it asks for value (since may yet automatically) . If it did then yes I would have put that. 

Okay that sounds to me as if the driver visited ParcelShop, took the item but didn't scan it. If that's the case then it seemed to me that you have got a case against Hermes and so I would suggest that you begin making a complaint against them. Don't get drawn into some protracted exchange – but begin the complaint to see what they want to say. Come back here when you know more.

I initially went back via PackLink to get them to press Hermes harder and the response that has now come back is of course completely unhelpful:

"I am sorry that this parcel has not yet been delivered and for the delay in response.

Our depot team have carried out a thorough search for the parcel, however on this occasion they were unable to locate the parcel. Unfortunately, due to the timescale since the last tracking scan we would now class this item as lost.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused both to you and your customer."

Now I can make a more formal complaint next against Hermes albeit I know they will of course precisely try to say its not their problem and I have to go via packlink

a couple of questions -

1) do i have to send this complaint through physical postage system or is there an email address for them that would suffice (if so any help on this would be great since their website simply tries to divert you back to the third parties) and

2) what should I say in this complaint?

Should I make reference to negligence or pre-empt their defence that I don't have a direct contract with them etc.

As an aside, I was sent £25 compensation via paypal so there clearly wasn't much doubt about the legitimacy of the claim.

Thanks

Who sent the £25?

How was t sent to you?

Was it sent in FF?

I don't think that it says anything about legitimacy of the claim

As far as I know, Packlink don't have any offices in UK.  Can you confirm that?

Yes from my searching online they seem to be based in Spain. 

I submitted a claim form to them (asking for full refund of course) and then received a refund of the postage cost and then a PayPal payment of the £25.. The PayPal email stated:

"Packlink Shipping SL has sent you £25.00 GBP." and given SL is a type of company in Spain seems to corroborate they don't have London offices. 

How would you suggest I proceed next? Thanks again

I have already made a suggestion to you in post 9 on this thread. Did you follow the advice there?

42 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

I have already made a suggestion to you in post 9 on this thread. Did you follow the advice there?

Please see my post 10 - asked a couple of questions re the formal complaint as next step since had packlink make a more formal request for explanation/investigation which was fruitless

It doesn't need any special form of words. It simply needs a communication either by email or letter telling them that as the item has been lost by them that you now want the value of it.

This could have been done several days ago

4 hours ago, BankFodder said:

It doesn't need any special form of words. It simply needs a communication either by email or letter telling them that as the item has been lost by them that you now want the value of it.

This could have been done several days ago

That is what I did try to do via packlink but got a generic response. Will write something direct to hermes and report back. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Yes I'm afraid this is another thread where we have been helping somebody but don't seem to have any update or progress report. It's not very helpful to the people who give advice or to the people who look for advice on this forum

On 17/11/2019 at 10:59, neroburningman said:

Thu, 7 Nov 2019 8:34 PM

N/A

Order placed

N/A

Missing Pre-Advice

N/A

Dropped off at the ParcelShop

This doesn't look right, I think there may have been some form of issue with them handing over the shipment consignment over to MyHermes.

Somehow you have dropped off the parcel before creating the order.

It should be;

1 - Order placed

2 - Dropped off at the ParcelShop

3 - Missing Pre-Advice

I have a feeling this may be the issue and it could have caused a conflict in their systems.

When you booked the parcel did it not auto populate the value and give you an option to protect the parcel ? I know technically this isn't needed if loss is incurred due to negligence / breach of contract.

Word of advise, if you decide to sell on eBay, avoid Packlink and don't use MyHermes for anything over £50, I stopped using them altogether as the amount of lost parcels and damages started becoming a joke, pay the few quid extra for UPS or DPD and if you go direct it is usually cheaper and you get a higher value of cover included in that cost.

• 2 weeks later...

you never use email you WRITE

please create your own topic by hitting create in the top red banner

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...