Jump to content


BankFodder BankFodder


does back billing apply to bills sent via email?

Recommended Posts

Good afternoon all!


I moved into my property in October 2017. I vaguely recall spoking by telephone to the separate suppliers of gas and electric shortly afterwards.


I have been receiving my gas bills from bg just fine. Stupidly I didnt realise that I wasn't receiving or paying electricity bills.


I have recently been contacted by a debt collection agency threatening court action and a different meter if I didnt pay within 7 days. I contacted them and they agreed to hold off action.


I then wrote to the electric supplier and explained that I had not received a bill for 2+ years and felt that this isn't my fault and that I should receive only bills for 12 months. 


They have now wrote back to say that thy have supplied and billed me for 2 years and I must pay. They said that they may have sent the bills to an incorrect email address. The letter is badly written, full of spelling errors and ends by telling me to complain to the ombudsman if I am unhappy.


They also said that they have wrote to me several times by post and asked me to setup a direct debit. Im pretty sure this isn't correct, I may have assume 1 to be a circular but unlikely to have made that mistake multiple times.


I have received an email last week to my correct email address with a link to a billing system but I have no way to login to this and the request password doesn't send me a new password.


How should I proceed? Is it my fault for not receiving bills? Presumably that shouldn't have left it so long before contacting me and my first letter should not have been from a third part debt agency?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure you can use any of that to avoid paying sadly

you could send them an sar to get all the details

that would prove or not if they did send them nia email

there are some accounts that do state this in their T&C's so I don't think there is much hope of getting out of not paying what you owe though.


get in contact with the supplier

ignore the DCA

set up a DD paying your on going usage and a fixed sum off the arrears IMHO.





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...