Theangel1971

Charge for cancelling insurance within an hour of agreement

Hi,

I searched online for an insurance company using compare the market. Sheila's wheels came out with the best quote so I telephoned them to arrange the purchase. After I had paid out the initial amount of £70 and agreed a direct debit I then cancelled my soon to expire Insurance policy. I immediately received an email from that insurance company informing me I no longer had my no claims bonus due to an accident last June. I telephoned Shelia's Wheels to explain that I had made an error, instead of 3 (which I had put on my original agreement), I had now been informed I had none. They put the policy up by another £300, so I asked to cancel. They now want to charge me 29 pound something for cancelling. I made the mistake with the no claims bonus because compare the market keeps a record of my information & this was what was in that information about me, including the date of my accident. 

Do they  have a right to charge me? My insurance would have taken effect on the 15th November 2019.

Thank you.

Most contracts are subject to the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 which provide that you have a cooling off period of 14 days when you make a contract online or off premises. Unfortunately there are various exemptions and insurance contracts is one of them. It's hugely unfair in my view. Obviously if the insurance cover has already started then it may well be fair – but for a contract to start an insurance cover in the future, it seems to me that there should be a right to cancel at least until the beginning of the cover.

So the answer is – yes they are entitled to levy a charge although that charge has to be reasonable and to reflect their administrative losses caused by your breach of contract. £29 sounds a little bit on the steep side and you can make an issue of it if you wanted. That means that you could require them to give you a detailed breakdown as to how this reflects their administrative losses and if you felt that you disbelieve them, you could decide to issue a claim and take it to the Small Claims Court. I would say that in the event there is a very high chance that they would back down simply because it wouldn't be worth their while to defend – but you can't bank on this and it would be a risk to you.

Thank you BankFodder. 

I called them up yesterday asking to speak to the complaints department. Spoke to this very nice guy, I put forward all of my concerns which he is going to look into and get back to me within four days. It's the first step of the complaints procedure I believe.