Tennant not paying rent - Scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have a tenant who recently moved into a flat I rent and at the beginning everything was fine.

The tenant was then late with a monthly payment and then asked if they could move on to paying weekly.

I agreed but never changed the tenancy agreement.

The tenant now hasn't paid for the past 5 weeks.

I have tried to contact them by phone on numerous occasions but to no avail.

Can anyone advise what I should do next?

Hi

What does the Tenancy Agreement that you issued say about Rent Payments & Rent Arrears?

Did they pay a Deposit and if so have you protected?

As they are ignoring you by phone (which you should only ever do if you can record the call) you need to put this in writing to that Tenant and get free proof of posting from the post office as you need to keep a good paper trail.

As said by EB in the above post you need to acquaint yourself with the eviction process that you may need to follow due to rent arrears.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I am in a similar position and I am learning all the time on what to do.

Firstly, make sure the deposit regardless of how much you received is in a safe deposit scheme.

Secondly, they need to be constantly late or 2 months / 8 weeks behind before you can start a Section 8 eviction notice. Otherwise its a section 21 notice but this can only be served after 4 months of tenancy.

Its costly but its worth getting a solicitor to start the process .around £500 plus court fees which these are added to the debt.

you can di it online yourself but everything has to be perfect with regards to the form filling otherwise it may get rejected or thrown out at court. I was lucky with mine even though it was only a very minor paperwork issue which wasn't noticed by the judge.

Getting to court takes around 5-8 weeks and even then, if they bring themselves within the 2 months amount then they will reject the case. hope this helps a bit.