Setting up mums benefits after dad died

nomoremoney
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1627 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. 

My father passed away 2 weeks ago, leaving my mum and adult daughter at home.

Dad was quite ill before he died, claiming DLA care and mobility,

pension credit guarantee,

housing benefit,

council tax support. 

Mum was his full time carer.

Mum is only 59. 

We had the funeral this week, and have applied for the funeral expenses fund (probably won't cover the modest expenses). 

I have also applied for the new bereavement support (£2500 lump and £100 per month x 18). 

This will take around 3 weeks.

In the meantime, mum has lost all sources of income. 

The registrar did the tell us once which stopped all the benefits. 

His Motability car will be returned this week.

I though I read online that due to a bereavement housing benefit would run on for 6 months? 

Cannot find this now. 

Housing benefit office said as she is under retirement age she has to make a new claim for universal credit.

I have applied for universal credit online. 

At the end it says she has to be looking for work. 

Does she not get any grace period due to the bereavement? 

Mum is in bits at the moment as the death was sudden and unexpected. 

She hasn't worked in over 20 years since he first became ill and cannot comprehend getting a job. 

She lives in the middle of nowhere in a council house.

Am I going about this all in the right way?

My adult sister still lives with her and works full time, but her wages alone would only just cover the bills. 

She is not a named tenant. 

Would there be any benefit in trying to add her to the tenancy?  

Many thanks

might also pay to use turnto us and entitled.to websites

these might open up other avenues of benefits and they are free

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry for your loss.

if your Mum was not claiming Carers Allowance which has an 8 week run on after death of person being cared for,  then out of the benefits mentioned it would only be housing benefit with any run on. Your local Councils website may have details of this. 

If your Mum is a joint tenant, then the Housing would need to be included under the UC claim, so the run on for Housing Benefit becomes irrelevent.  Make sure that if your Dad was the joint tenant, that UC know about this, otherwise UC Housing might be affected. It is what they call an untidy tenancy, as only one of the tenants is on the UC claim. You should talk to Council about adding Sister to tenancy, as they might not allow it.

When your Mum attends the Job Centre first commitments appointment, she will have a discussion with a Work Coach. It is often the case following bereavement of spouse,  that any requirements to look for work are switched off for 3 months.  After 3 months the situation is reviewed at an appointment, to gently move towards looking for appropriate work.

edit-more information on work search switch off for bereavement.

1. Bereavement

All work related requirements must be switched off following the death of:

•   the claimant’s partner

•   a child, where the claimant was the child's parent

•   a child or qualifying young person(s) for whom the claimant, or where the claimant

is a couple, the other member has caring responsibilities

The switch off of requirements is for six months. At the three month stage, the claimant should be contacted by telephone to check whether or not they want any support. If they don't, we leave them until the end of the switch off period. If they do, we invite them in for a work focused interview (WFI) to discuss, but all requirements are voluntary including attending the WFI.

If the claimant’s child is in considerable distress the claimant may be eligible to have their requirements switched off for a further 3 one month periods.
      It is optional for a claimant suffering bereavement to look for work following the death of a partner or child but
      Sanctions can only apply after 6 months where relevant. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Many thanks that was really useful.

Online claim for UC doesn't seem to have any way of letting them know about a bereavement.  Will give them a ring tomorrow, hopefully not going to have to drag mum down to the job centre just yet.

Your mum will need to call the UC helpline to book an appointment. Only the claimant can do this or anyone officially appointed as an appointee. I would guess you are not legally an appointee.

Everyone making a UC claim has to attend a Job Centre, even if they verified their ID online.  They will attend at least once to provide the ID information to be given a personal ID number, so they can register changes to the claim online and to provide any other evidence required, such as the Banking information. They may also not do the claimant commitment at the same time, so your Mum would need to attend again. This is when they will look to switch off the job search requirements and advise on future requirements.

When your Mum attends the Job Centre the first time, she can advise them of the bereavement and her situation. The Job Centre will note the claim and hopefully they may have time to deal with the claimant commitment to save another visit.

All the relevant actions have to be taken, otherwise the claim will not proceed and no payment would be issued. People unfortunately register to claim and then don't follow up by attending a Job Centre appointment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

goto your journal and send a message.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

"I have applied for universal credit online. 

At the end it says she has to be looking for work. "

Journal is ok to provide basic information.

Important for the Mum to take over look after her claim, by calling to book appointments and to attend the Job Centre. Once the initial appointments are out of the way, then she will be given the time, as already advised.

Very important that Mum accesses her UC claim regularly to check her claim. The appointments that will be due at the 3 month and 6 month intervals, will be showing on her claim when they are booked in for her.