BankFodder BankFodder

johnjordan

Should I have to pay?

Hi,

I have central heating service and breakdown contract with British Gas that includes an annual free boiler service.

Last week I reported a fault with my central heating and requested a repair. I was told that as my boiler service was also due they would do the service and repair at the same time but that I would be invoiced a call out fee of £60 when the repair was completed.

The engineer called at the appointed time last Friday 1st November and carried out the boiler service but when it cam to the repair he said he didn't have the part in his van so would have to order it and return the next morning between 8 & 12. After having got out of bed early to make sure I was up and dressed in case he came at 8 I received a text message at 09:30 saying they were not coming that day but had made another booking for the next day, Sunday again between 8 & 12. I still have the text message to prove that.

As I was working a night shift Saturday night I was not happy with this but accepted it as I wanted my central heating repaired so I stayed up after arriving home and waited for the engineer to arrive. About 11am I phoned BG to find out what was happening only to be told that they had the booking down for the Monday, not Sunday. I told them this was no good as I would be at work until Thursday evening with no chance of having any time off. 

My question is, do you think it is reasonable for BG to charge me £60 call out fee for the repair when they decided to do the annual service at the same time and then break two appointments? To my mind they were already at my house to service the boiler so there was no separate journey to carry out the repair. It was not my fault they did not have the correct part as I had told them when I reported the fault what the problem was and which part needed replacing.

Thank you.

The breaking of the second appointment is propably the decider in this.

I would make a big fuss about this aspect and your loss of earnings being more than the £60 fee you feel as though they havent though this through and will be embarrassed when it all becomes public knowledge, as it will be if you are forced to take leagl action over the missed appointments.

they have been clobbered before many times for this so they may prefer to drop the call out charge and hopefully get on with their job

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't actually lose any pay as I went to work Saturday night but did have to break a few speed limits to get home by 8am.

The engineer eventually called yesterday and carried out the repair.

He also explained the procedure as far as the call out charge is concerned and I found it rather disturbing.

Apparently if they come out and there are two separate problems e.g. a broken pump and a leaking radiator, then you have to pay two call out charges even though they are only coming out the one time. 

I call that daylight robbery and will be looking elsewhere as soon as my contract runs out.

look at the contract very carefully as it sound to be utter twaddle and just a money making spin.

I've just looked at it but can't see anything about that. It does say there's an excess though. Just annoys me that they were coming out to service the boiler anyway.

BUT, I've also heard that I can claim £30 compensation for each cancelled appointment and as they were supposed to come last Saturday & Sunday that's £60. I've also been told that if they don't pay that within 10 days it doubles. I don't know if I have to claim for that 10 days to come into force or whether they are supposed to pay it automatically.

the first thing to do is demand the money and say that you dont mind counterinvoicing it against their supposed call out fee as you intend to take them to task over that as it isnt in the copy of the contract you have with them