• Tweets

• Hi I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof? 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No    Have you had a response?  n/a 7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice'  
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
    • Evening all,   So today, I was sent an updated offer that includes the £12.60 I spent on letters, but they have declined to add the interest at £7.40. They have stating 'We acknowledge your request to claim interest to date, however, this would be at the discretion of a trial judge if the claim did proceed to a trial hearing.' I think I am content with this outcome, and pushing this to a trial for a total interest of £15.30 throughout the claim does not make sense to me.   What are people's thoughts? I am sure our courts have better things to concentrate on?
    • FFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdfFFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdf 2pages T&C,s UCM
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

my Leasehold/Freehold property and it's issues.

UnlceB - the lease is sufficiently long enough for any bank's satisfaction. 

I see the bank has recently set up a btl arm - so you maybe correct?

When you say 'not sure why they can't sell it at a loss' - what do  you mean?

I know they have been sitting on 1 offer for the lease for almost 1y.    With interest accruing I don't know why they didn't close that offer?  Although, given the poor market, potential buyer was prob hedging to see if they can get it cheaper?  Seems the bank should have accepted that offer, even if at a loss, cos the loss is SO much greater now...

Bank then advised they had agreed an alternative sale in October - but this clearly fell through.  Not sure what happened with the 1st poss buyer?   This is another reason to ask for sar - requesting viewings/ offers details.

dx - I didn't send in a sar before as I thought I should only do that when they started demanding money - ie now they are trying to go for b.

You could make an offer to rent the house from them. Then they will have a tenant and know the address to send any correspondence.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Nice thought UncleB - but they'd never  allow that!

I want to send sar - can I send by email now?  Or have to post?  And can I ask them to send docs c/o old address, on basis mail on divert & i can collect from a mailbox.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I have never had a SD served on me, does the 4 months period in which to issue a B petition still stand? 

Or does the processor - or whoever wants to serve - have to serve a new SD correctly at a known address and thus the 4 months process starts afresh?

BazzaS - I am not 100% sure.  However, I do expect them to treat me fair.  Not to try get a backdoor B without my knowledge.

I sent in a sar.  2 weeks later - no response,yet.   Should I send them a reminder?    I want to ascertain all the costs applied, the interest accrued, the offers received etc.  IF they get a processor to serve a SD properly I want to be properly equipped with all the info from behind the scenes.  Then I can question or fight against B.

Edited by HP Mum

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask - if there is no Gazette notice found - how does one try to locate a potential court hearing in a potential unknown remote court location at an unknown point in time??

I mean, if lender/bank deliberately hiding their actions - what can borrower do? 

i.e.: lender given correct contact details of borrower but lender failing to respond within 30 days to sar.  No sar reply means no disclosure. Which means instead lender has potential to secretly action a back-door B

How would borrower try find out if a process is going on and via which court?

Give them your address, where they can definitely make contact with you.  If you don't have a fixed address, then give them an email address which you state can be used for them to contact you and you can then arrange for them to meet you in person if they wish.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

thanks UncleB

That has been done within sar - to which they have not responded

and elderly relative written to process server/ lawyers to stop sending letters/ harrassing at their address.  But they have continued...

Am concerned that lender deliberately not sending legal letters to correct address is their plan

Have done lots of research on lender.  Seems they do this a lot. 

It seems clear that these people don't want to be transparent with their actions.  They have ability to serve notices in a correct manner - I have advised in writing - but they chose to create a sideshow in a completely different locality.   Seems like they hope to get a backdoor B without me finding out - until after a court hearing/ judgment?   Nothing in gazette.

Assuming they persist in a devious manner and get to a court somewhere - am I reassured that they would not be granted B due to not being able to provide a 'certificate to prove service'?   And if the judge allows an adjournment of, say a few months, what would happen at the next hearing - that I still don't know about and they still haven't got 'certificate of service'? 

Would a judge just allow them to make me B -  with them pretending they "did everything to find me"??

OR - would a judge dismiss their B petition due to no 'certificate to prove service'?     

If there's a risk a judge could dismiss - does that mean these people would be obliged to behave correctly and should locate me/ serve me properly?  And if they do - what are my options then?

They have not yet responded to sar.   Delayed perhaps on purpose?

Just another thought - will this virus affect court hearings?

Edited by HP Mum

• 2 weeks later...

What is the next step to take when haven't been sent docs within 30 days?

They had it in writing on the SAR where to send all the docs

They have had 30 days before we all got put in lockdown.  So there's no excuse.

However, I wonder who will now be around to argue/ enforce their failure?

Can I ask - is there a special letter to write re not receiving data?

The information you need is on the ICO website

https://ico.org.uk/

Thanks UncleB

Been reading through it.

Thing is - I've received some info.

But barely any. 

Clearly not full disclosure of all data. 

And I want them to send ALL.

Can also see errors in some docs (personal info on me) that were obviously corrected later, yet they have not sent the communication between the 3rd party and themselves which would have highlighted the errors and when they were corrected.

They have not sent any electronic email data nor transcripts of texts or phone calls.

Listed some of the companies with whom they have liaised

- but provided none of the communication data. 

in other words

- if they appointed p.i or process server to issue proceedings against me they have not disclosed anything that reveals that.

No data from their lawyers about me.

provided pretty much no data over the last year;

a year in which there must have been tons of data,

regarding me and my assets,

discussed with 3rd parties and internally.

imo - they have deliberately withheld full disclosure.

I want to ensure they send it all

little update - a letter has just been popped through relative's door

- addressed to me at their address again but which was obviously mistakenly delivered to a neighbour

- another wrong property.   

Turns out they went to a tiny court in an obscure geographic location

- to try get B.

But service not proven - so adjournment.

Meanwhile there is zero disclosure of this in the bank's email reply to sar.

It's like they don't want me to know they are doing this behind my back...

Surely this lack of disclosure will back-fire against them?

Just out of curiosity - what will happen to court cases if we are all still on lock-down?

And, if they still haven't advised me

- despite having the ability to do so via sar

- what would happen at any adjourned hearing?

So adjourned as they cannot prove you have been served correctly.  Not going anywhere, until they have proof they have served the demand on you.

Complain to the ICO about the SAR not providing all of the documents. If you read the linked ICO informed earlier, there are details of how to complain.

opppss...fake sd they downloaded and sent hoping you'd wet yourself..

never intending to go any further...then decided to try their luck with it...

how unusual...used to be the favourite trick of 1st credit DCA 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've had a read of the council tax 92 regs (admin & enforc). 

Section 2 - seems to cover how correspondence concerning a property should be addressed. 

I have the following query:

I notified my council by email (lots of messages to and fro) and sent copy of Order

- all got resolved, refunds made, property labelled as exempt. 

The next  physical letter for the property I still received (on divert).

The letter was not in my name. 

It was labelled 'The c tax payer'.   

I had not given council a forwarding address. 

I had email advised I was temp residing elsewhere

- so all communication to me, about me, was to be done just by email.   

I had also redacted the bank's name on the Order.

Why would the council - as seen in sar - subsequently send letters addressed to me c/o the bank's address?     

The council clearly didn't get the bank's details from me.

Is it possible bank 'pretended' to be me, used their address as 'my' forwarding contact address?  

The property is exempt - so there is no need for 'my' name to be on council records, let alone c/o the bank.

How can I find out what has happened? 

And can I easily remove the 'wrong' address attached to my name?

dx - these people are trying all sorts of underhand tricks - they are awful. 

A barrister friend likened it to "they think they are above the law; they keep trying to circumvent it for their own purposes - and it won't work".  

re: the court - they still haven't served sd and their B petition thus got adjourned. 

None of this was disclosed in the sar.   

Are they now supposed to locate me and issue a proper sd

- before the adjourned case 

- which they haven't told me about... 

Out of curiosity - in the midst of nationwide lock-down how can anyone be served?

Don't understand.

Why would the Council become involved ?

uncleb - It's not that the council should be involved, its just that sar shows my name on council records c/o bank address. I never told council that. 

Can a bank be deliberately obstructive and refuse to send data - requested via a sar  - under guise of their right to privacy....??

15 minutes ago, HP Mum said:

Can a bank be deliberately obstructive and refuse to send data - requested via a sar  - under guise of their right to privacy....??

I have a feeling this was discussed much earlier in the thread, but maybe it was a different thread.

You can only make a Data Protection SAR for information about you. Not about someone else. So if you have made a SAR request for your relative's information the bank would be right to refuse it.

I haven't read back through the thread, but was there a reason why you couldn't get your relative to sign a SAR themself? You could draft it and send it off, just get them to sign it.

Edited by Ethel Street

I wrote re my data.   They have replied quoting their right to privacy!

they sent barely any info, so i expanded request on exactly what is required of them.  Got no information back.

Just a standard privacy letter stating: how they will collect & use my personal data / who they are / why they collect my data & what personal data they require / what they do with my data/ and a generic list of the type of people with whom they share my data

For example, if they have commenced legal action against me surely they should disclose this?   If I request details of agents and property offers, they should be transparent?

It is blatantly obvious that they are hiding certain details / they do not want to disclose what they have been doing.

It is clear I will have to make a complaint to ico.  Maybe fca?

But would such a complaint potentially lead to legal action - but I would have to instigate?  Or would the ico instigate/ prosecute?   I ask because existing cases are being put on  hold for 4 months, and even then to be heard at first available date thereafter, so with a huge backlog then maybe end of year.  And not sure anyone could even start a legal process now?   

And I want the data now - I don't want to fight through the courts for my right to see what they have said/ done.

They are being deliberately evasive/ obstructive.  Playing the card that they are large enough to drag this out on purpose and have enough money in the bank to not care about any potential future fine?

Not sure what I can write to enforce them to send me the data they hold on me?