How do I get off a gas token meter?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1598 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been on a gas token meter with British Gas for at least 6 years now.

My financial position has improved along with my credit rating. Although it's still not amazing it's now slightly below average.

The other day I rand British Gas with a view to getting the token meter replaced with a normal monthly DD meter.

But, they did a credit check, and refused.

Can anyone suggest the best method to get rid of this token meter and hopefully take advantage of the low gas price offers available at the moment?

Thanks

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi all!

Thanks for your reply Andy. Not sure why my Google searches didn't find that page.

I have spent the last 6 days making 6 hours of phone calls to the British Gas helpline.

I never managed to get though until waiting for over an hour.

4 phone calls later they have refused to replace my token meter insisting that my credit score is not good enough.

It's 562, which i agree is not brilliant, but it's only a bit below the UK average.

They refused to acknowledge what is clearly stated on the Citizen's Advice website namely:

If you’ve finished paying off debt

If you don’t want to be on prepayment anymore, your supplier must remove your old-style prepayment meter and give you an old-style credit meter or smart meter instead.

They keep saying that it's against their policy.

I even raised an official complaint and was still refused.

I finished paying my debt to British Gas over 5 years ago.

I am prepared/happy to change supplier but not sure if this is possible when I have a token meter installed.

Can anyone suggest what to do next?

Thanks

Hi

I have to agree if you have paid off the debt owed to them via this meter and are up to date on your bills  I would look at changing supplier and as said asking new supplier to install a standard meter and look for the best deals for you.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group