Jump to content


BankFodder BankFodder


How do I get off a gas token meter?

Recommended Posts

I have been on a gas token meter with British Gas for at least 6 years now.


My financial position has improved along with my credit rating. Although it's still not amazing it's now slightly below average.


The other day I rand British Gas with a view to getting the token meter replaced with a normal monthly DD meter.


But, they did a credit check, and refused.


Can anyone suggest the best method to get rid of this token meter and hopefully take advantage of the low gas price offers available at the moment?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all!


Thanks for your reply Andy. Not sure why my Google searches didn't find that page.


I have spent the last 6 days making 6 hours of phone calls to the British Gas helpline.

I never managed to get though until waiting for over an hour.


4 phone calls later they have refused to replace my token meter insisting that my credit score is not good enough.

It's 562, which i agree is not brilliant, but it's only a bit below the UK average.

They refused to acknowledge what is clearly stated on the Citizen's Advice website namely:


If you’ve finished paying off debt

If you don’t want to be on prepayment anymore, your supplier must remove your old-style prepayment meter and give you an old-style credit meter or smart meter instead.


They keep saying that it's against their policy.

I even raised an official complaint and was still refused.


I finished paying my debt to British Gas over 5 years ago.

I am prepared/happy to change supplier but not sure if this is possible when I have a token meter installed.


Can anyone suggest what to do next?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

change supplier and ask then to instal a standard meter. They might twist your arm to instal a smart meter but that will be better than a payment one as far as tariff choice goes

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



I have to agree if you have paid off the debt owed to them via this meter and are up to date on your bills  I would look at changing supplier and as said asking new supplier to install a standard meter and look for the best deals for you.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...