josh010

Installation of summerhouse.

Please can someone advise me on a rather disturbing matter as follows I would be most grateful indeed.

I took out a contract with a shed Company for the installation of a summerhouse at the bottom of my garden.

We had two site visits in total from them to check and clarify that the job could go ahead.

The order date was placed on 6th September 2019.

We had agreed with our salesman, that employers from the company would come out on agreed dates.

We agreed the following dates with Bentley directly.

On Wednesday 30th Oct and Friday 1st and Mon 4th Nov; this would include moving and dismantling the existing shed and erecting the new summer house.

The total amount was agreed and signed for £6470, with a deposit of £1941 (paid full in cash via bank transfer).

A finance agreement was drawn and signed with confirmation of our finance successfully going through.

This was a 0% interest deal, over 3 years.

This had all been processed by 10th September 2019. 

On Wednesday, two men arrived and they dismantled the existing shed.

The potting shed was disposed and everything ran smoothly.

During our discussion with David Missen (who was our main source of contact) it was agreed that 4 men would come to move (temporarily) the storage shed and then start building the summer house. 

Today (1st Nov 2019), two men arrived and from the immediate start there was instant hostility.

The fence panel (to allow the men access to the garden) had already been removed.

I went out, leading the way into the garden and the two men drove their truck around the corner so they could park their truck, expecting them to start.

Within minutes one of the men had stormed across the garden, into our patio door, banging the living room door, declaring they could not complete the job. 

In his words, the storage shed was full of "shit" and it wasn't a two man job, "we need four men."

At this point I was made to feel vulnerable and threatened by the tone of his voice.

I remained calm and explained that we had paid for this installation and in regards to the contents of the storage (electrical items which haven't been left outside because of the current rain) I would move these as soon as they were ready.

By now the second man had joined him and they proceeded back down the garden, now stating "what about all that shit?" in reference to 15 bricks and a plant pot.

I was at this point feeling highly intimated by this point but also angry at their rude demenour throughout this whole process. 

I resorted to saying that this was their job and didn't know they expected me to level out the ground for them, to which one of the men replied "up to you mate."

My wife (who was indoors) had now started to walk down the garden path, when both them declared I had been swearing at them upon noticing her arrival (no one else was at the bottom of the garden during the above description).

They had arrived at 10.15am.

They had left by 10.30am. 

We rang the office 4 times immediately after this episode.

At 1pm, following our calls, a man called Jon arrived offering a resolution.

His resolution was that we were prepared to have a base installed and the summerhouse would be built at a later date.

Jon was sympathetic, friendly and did state that the job wasn't a difficult one and he couldn't see what the issue had been.

We stressed that we did not want the two men who arrived today and if there was no one else, then they must be supervised.

Jon (without any agreement of a resolution) stated he couldn't do anything about the men and nothing would be done in terms of supervision if the same men were to return.

Jon stated that we would hear from him at 3.30pm/4pm.

At 1.31pm we recieved an email from Hitachi Finance Company to say our finance agreement had been cancelled. 

We sent a corresponding email to clarify if our summer house was still going ahead.

At 4.26pm Iain Bentley (Managing Director) stating ""Chris and Luke the two men who came today would not return because of your abusive behaviour.

We are no longer able to fit the Timber frame or carry out moving of the existing shed.

...to move forward, The building is now made, it cannot be cancelled as it has been produced bespoke requirements therefore you are liable for the full amount as per our terms and conditions. £3440.50 is the balance owed."

I am in complete awe and in disbelief that I have encountered this horrific episode.

The message from Iain Bentley clearly declares us as the abusive perpetrators who are being held for behaviour and actions which were never committed. 

Any of the emails referred to or referenced in this email can be provided in full, upon your request. 

I implore you to help my family and I come through this nightmare as the distress this has caused is unimaginable. 

They have now demanded full payment and cancelled the Finance and also advised us we have to pay cancellation charges and owe the full amount or the summerhouse will be destroyed and we will still owe them the full money,

is this allowed in law and what can I now do to take this matter up within the Courts.

is the installation part of the contrat price? If so then as they wont install the summer house they are in breach of contract and at best the whole thing is said to be frustrated as neither can continue with it. tell them that as there is now no contract it is not possible t refer to nay aprt fo somehting that doesnt exist.

I'm sure that they will make a lot of noise to bully you into paying as their employees ahev so far sucessfully bullied you into letting them do nothinga nd walk off the job.

You need to put things in writing to state where you are from your point of view and that si they are refusing to abide with the agreeement and install the summer house as per specification.

Now they might accept that and then say that they get to keep the deposit but that isnt so either. their losses are actually quite minimal at this stage because the summwer house is still a kit made to a common pattern from common materials so they can easily sell it on so we are talking about an hours labour by the 2 rude men as being the only actual loss.

Thank you so much Sir

Your kind assistance is very much appreciated 

I have noted the matter and have written to them accordingly.

God bless