Apple MacBook fire and compensation

macboy000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone 

last week while I was having a shower I could smell burning 

I ran out of the shower to find my 2015 MacBook on fire and burning on my bed 

luckily it didn’t set the bed slight but has badly damaged it 

the room was full of smoke and I quickly took the smouldering laptop outside 

i absolutely wet myself thinking how bad it could of turned out with my children in the next rooms unaware of the fire 

I quickly called Apple who said to leave the laptop outside and then bring it in as soon as possible 

I took it to the store the next day where a technician took some photos and writ a report on my events and told me go to call back the next day to have an update 

I called the next day and they said it was a recall on the battery on this model and Apple was aware that some of them was faulty 

they are replacing the Laptop next week and I have to speak to someone about the bedding 

will they compensate me in any other way for the  trauma this has done to me 

I’m not even sure I want another MacBook to be honest but I feel they should step up to the plate to assure me that this was a freak accident and not happen again 

replacing a laptop and bedding just don’t seem to cut it and restore my faith in the brand that I love 

Thanks 

never charge or use an electronic device on a flippin bed 

how is it supposed to get air in to circulate away the heat..

basic common sense really.

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

brilliant then sorry, hope it wasn't turned on?

anyway

I think you'd be very hard pressed to get anything out of them for truma etc, those type of claims don't typically carry much water this side of the pond..yet!

but I do think it quite reasonable to get replacement quilt etc out of them which they have offered.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I doubt they will think anything other.

and they

Hi

Question

was the laptop purchased where you presently stay from Apple.

If it was and there was a recall notice for that battery did Apple contact you and inform you of this recall

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Yes the Apple MacBook was purchased here in the uk from new 

no i did not get an email About the recall but heard about it 

i contacted them about it and was told on the online chat that if it was holding charge then it would be fine to carry on using it until I had time to bring it in for the recall 

I suggested i would bring it in over the Christmas period as I would not need the laptop for work and it could take up to 2 weeks for the repair 

The advice for the later (2015, which is what you said yours is), 15” models, if affected, is not to use them, pending battery replacement.

”If your MacBook Pro is eligible, please stop using it and follow the instructions below to have your battery replaced.“

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

The earlier (and 13”) model had a battery that failed, but not one that was a fire risk, and that one could be used pending repair.

Can you confirm which recall your machine was subject to?,

Moving on to what you can expect from Apple.

You are absolutely entitled to be put back in the position you were before the event : given compensation for or given replacements for the damaged items (not brand new, but the value of replacing with a similar, used item)

You are entitled to be compensated for ancillary loses (if it has made you have to take time off unpaid, reasonable travel costs incurred)

Apple might choose to replace items on a “new for old” basis : but don’t have to.

”Stress / anxiety” damages are very limited. Don’t expect much, and only on a discretionary basis from Apple, unless you have (& get diagnosed by an appropriate professional) a recognised psychiatric condition such as PTSD that can be shown as a direct result of the fire, and, even then : expect to have to battle to prove such a claim.

Your best bet is to highlight to Apple that this situation doesn’t fit with the quality / image of their brand. Do you have a recording / log of the advice you could continue to use the product? That might strengthen your hand if one of their staff has made the original situation worse by giving erroneous (and unsafe) advice.

Edited by BazzaS