BankFodder BankFodder

Suchamess1989

Tax credit fraud

No thread, but they were demanding back payments from long way back more than 12 k. I ended up getting it written off but even if that wouldn't have happened I wouldn't have been paying back 50 per month.

In your case you will hardly notice it, because you are currently receiving tax credits and they will reduce your award slightly in order to claw the money back.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Was it a single claim issue? I won’t be receiving tax credits when I ring as our income will be too high 

Hi, Just seen this and noticed to commented on my thread. In answer to your question, No I didn't receive any further action. I even rang the compliance team a few weeks ago to see if I would get a penalty to which the officer simply replied " If you were to get a penalty, you would of known by now". 

By my own experience honesty is the best policy, Just call them and tell them the truth. As hard and as scary as that is. You will feel so much better when its over and done with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I’ve not received a letter or anything but I know my single claim needs to stop and I can’t bury my head in the sand any longer. I think the thought of court of prison just scares me. I’ve been up most of The night reading through stories . I

I’ve had overpayments before but never received a penalty or anything 

thanks 

joanne

Well you know what you need to do. How do you feel about ringing the tax benefits people?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Joanne. Please stop reading horror stories. They will only make you feel worse and From what I found when I did similar was that those that resulted in court (never prison) had some other sort of benefit involved with the fraud, mostly from the DWP. 

Do you have access to your Government Gateway account where you can manage your tax credits online?

• Thanks 1

I’ve never been entitled or claimed any other benefits which I’m so glad of now. I hate myself for causing so my worry and getting myself in this mess. In some sense it would have been less painful and tormenting to not have taken him back. 

ive found a lot of court ones but never for just tax credits also. 

yes I can manage them online.

thanks

joanne

Instead of tormenting yourself. I would jump into action and get on the phone to tax credits. The longer you leave it the worse you are going to feel about it.

In the meantime while you are waiting to be spoken to I would submit your change of circumstances online.

It will ask you for the correct date that your OH moved into the property.

Submit this to the best of your knowledge.

I would then recite your reasons and circumstances to the people at the tax credit helpline. It is worth noting.

These people are very nice to speak to ( in my experience) and you have nothing to fear. 

• Like 1

Thank you I’ll look online now and do it then ring them and explain. I know I’ll feel better after but will be worrying that something else is coming. 

How long did yours get backdated? 

Mine was backdated from September 2018. I got a letter 4 days after my claim ended to state my claim was now closed. I spoke to the tax credits office two weeks later to ask when I would get my accurate over payment and they stated at the end of the tax year. 

Ok thank you. Mine will be january this year. Thank you for your help I’m feeding my daughter and ringing them. I’ll come back on and update 

Good luck! It’s not as scary as it first seems. Well done for taking the first step.

Mine was backdated 9 years, it was obscene what they wanted from us. Never, ever once felt that it was going to go to court though.

It got written off because my wife was on Chemo at the time of the alleged over payment (she's fine now). Plus they had made a whole stack of mistakes Regarding our incomes.  Long and short of it I ended up owing them less than 100 pounds rather than the quite ridiculous 12k.

Once you find out what you owe it's certainly worth Googling COP 26 code of practice to see if any of it applies to you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Can I ask why u thought it wouldn’t? Was it a single claim situation? 

thanks again for all your advice. I’ve chickened. Ringing today as the kids are in such a good mood for trick or treating and I’ve spent half of the day reading stories and this forum. I don’t know what’s wrong with me and to top it off had a final notice from the council tax 

Don't chicken,

Call them

I've been 12 k in with the Tax Credits

6 K with Council Tax

5 K with the Gas and electric 

Was behind with the rent too :( 

All at the same time

With young kids and an ill wife.

Everything sorted within 5 years by facing up to it

Tax Credits are open till 8pm, can sort it before Trick or treating starts.

Edited by London1971

I agree with London. You've already had a sleepless night, if you don't ring it's likely you have another one.

Be brave. :)

HB

get the ctax sorted NOW

that CAN and will get bailiffs at your door.

throw your mobile phones in the bin

and the sky/virgin tv

you must pay your ctax above everything else bar rent/or mortgage.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, the whole DCA industry would collapse overnight.

Thank you. I’ll start a thread for advice and I’ve submitted the change online so I’m one step further. Backdated TIL jan this year 😕 I feel worse already but better at the same time 

I darent even tell me oh 

14 hours ago, dx100uk said:

get the ctax sorted NOW

that CAN and will get bailiffs at your door.

throw your mobile phones in the bin

and the sky/virgin tv

you must pay your ctax above everything else bar rent/or mortgage.

Yup,

This is priority debt, 

I think you need to get in touch with your local elected councillor and explain your situation, if you are having problems with CTAX. They might be able to arrange a temporary lower payment for a few months or more to enable you to get back on your feet.

Do not bury your head in the sand on Council Tax.

No, just relating to the council tax. They have a direct line to the collections department of your council.  Tax Credits is irrelevant there.

Suchamess has a council tax thread up and running. Could we keep this thread to tax credit issues please to save confusion?

HB