BankFodder BankFodder

Tiredbadger

Left the jointly owned house to ex - now being left empty - What are my rights?

Hi y'all! 

Really in need of some advice.

Left the jointly owned house to ex so they could have a safe home for the children to spend time at. (I got a new place, with kids, happy as Larry)

Now they have reduced the time they spend together and I find out the home has been left empty! 

Can I go in to make sure it's secure??

What if they stop paying the mortgage?

What are my rights? 

What is the legal position ?  Did a Court decide that your ex could reside in the house until the children reached 18 or a certain age ?  After they reached the stated age, it would be open to you, to negotiate what happened to the house next.

If there has been no Court involvement and you jointly own the house, there is nothing stopping you protecting your asset. Why not post a letter through the door for attention of your ex stating that you are concerned about the house just being left unoccupied and not cared for. Tell her to call you within 7 days to discuss the situation and if you receive no call, you will enter the property to  make sure it is safe and secure. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I learnt the hard way. Never leave the family home.

My divorce lawyer told me that possession is nine tenths of the law. I learnt financially that if she wants to hang on to the house or keep stalling sales there isn't a damn thing the person who has moved out can do about it. Oh and you will also be liable for half the mortgage until the house is sold even if you are not living there.

Plus when it comes to a divorce or a custody battle it can be painted in a bad light that you abandoned your family. So , try the nice route as suggested above but be prepared to find a good divorce / family lawyer if (as I suspect) that doesn't work.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread