I was caught shoplifting. How risky would it be to go back in that store

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1637 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Over a month ago, I was caught shoplifting in a uk store called Superdrug.

It was my first time and I now know that it was a stupid mistake and I will never do it again.

I am only 14.

I took the items and try to walked out the store when the buzzers went off.

The employees behind the till searched my bag and found the stolen items.

They then took the items and said as it was my first time and I was really panicking they would let me off with a ban.

They didn’t take any information not even my name.

Now my mum wants to take me back to the store.

I can’t explain the Situation too her.

Would it be risky to go back to the store just for like 10 minutes or would I get arrest or something like that?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you 

They can't arrest you but there could be a very embarrassing scene if they recognised you which would lead to your mother discovering it all. Did they tell you that you were banned from the store? They may a photo of you on CCTV.  Don't go and don't shoplift again. I'm sure you can think of a reason for not going. 

Edited by Ethel Street
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ethel Street said:

They can't arrest you but there could be a very embarrassing scene if they recognised you which would lead to your mother discovering it all. Did they tell you that you were banned from the store? They may a photo of you on CCTV.  Don't go and don't shoplift again. I'm sure you can think of a reason for not going. 

The only issue is that I can avoid going for the first couple of times but I can’t always get away with not ago every time. 

The longer it is since the incident the less likely that anyone there will remember it/recognise you. Sounds like you weren't formally banned from the store either (is that correct?). They don't have your name and they didn't take your photo. They could have a picture of you on CCTV but from what you have said they probably didn't go and get it at the time so it's unlikely anyone would bother to look now. And there were no Security people involved, just the assistant on the till. So it's unlikely that you will be stopped if you go back in with your mother in a few month's time, but no-one here can say for sure that won't happen.

3 hours ago, Ethel Street said:

The longer it is since the incident the less likely that anyone there will remember it/recognise you. Sounds like you weren't formally banned from the store either (is that correct?). They don't have your name and they didn't take your photo. They could have a picture of you on CCTV but from what you have said they probably didn't go and get it at the time so it's unlikely anyone would bother to look now. And there were no Security people involved, just the assistant on the till. So it's unlikely that you will be stopped if you go back in with your mother in a few month's time, but no-one here can say for sure that won't happen.

Thank you.the person behind the till just said I was banned and then let me go. I’m not sure if it was formal as no manger or security was involved. 

the problem you have is that they can chuck you out and if you try to return again they can call the police for aggravated trespass. I would agree, however that if time passes before you have to go back it ism less likely that you will be remembered, esp if you are with someone else

It would be better if you could tell your mum about the incident, you arent the first child to get caught shoplifting. I'm sure that once she sees yo are genuinely sorry you will be forgeiven even if you get earache first

How is it aggravated trespass?

https://greenandblackcross.org/guides/laws/5-trespass-aggravated-trespass/

“You must be doing two things to commit aggravated trespass:

1) Trespassing

2) Intentionally obstructing, disrupting, or intimidating others from carrying out ‘lawful activities“

confirmed by the primary legislation:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/33/section/68

It is a stretch to assert that merely by trespassing for a second time that intent can be shown to “obstruct, disrupt, or intimidate others from carrying out ‘lawful activities’ “

At a demo? Probably.

Mass invasion of a store: Possibly

https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/legal_guidance/THE-CRIMINAL-JUSTICE-AND-PUBLIC-ORDER-ACT-1994.pdf

One individual in a store : a much higher hurdle.