• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Unreported Crash Damage by Dealer

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 315 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

First post of this new account as my old CAG account from several years ago died :(

So I have this issue now with my Nissan Juke bought from a dealership last year.  Please bear with me as I am just going to throw all details in this post.

Nissan Juke 2011

Tekna DIG-T

23000 mileage

Purchased the car August 2018 and when summer 2019 hit, I discovered that the AC wasn't working (auto climate control); didn't detect issue because previous months were cold.  I've been looking at claiming AC repair through AutoGuard and eventually found a reputable garage in Croydon and booked asap as my warranty expires 07/11.

The garage looked at the AC issue and eventually discovered that the 'Evapolator' (AC evaporator unit) had developed a leak.  Also advised me that the pollen filter was caked and possibly blocked the AC flow etc. Commented that the car appeared neglected or sat for extended time.  Total bill: £1900 :(.  The engine however, is solid so far which is a relief.

But the disturbing part (and the main reason for this post) is that, while getting the bumper off he found several indicators of existing crash damage (images below)Now, I have not been in a crash at all, so I realised this came from the dealer or previous owner and was due to an unreported collision.  This was not reported to me and the car is not under a CAT listing.  The dealer ensures that the car is checked before sale and came with a warranty etc.  I called the dealer and he appeared surprised and advised they wouldn't sell a damaged vehicle.  I was waiting for a report from the Garage who kindly took pictures and gave a description of the issues caused by the damage (added below), the dealer asked for a copy of this evidence which I will send shortly.

My question is; in the opinion of CAG members, what would be the most appropriate course of action?  I understand that I should attempt remediation with the dealer and then ombudsman if we can't agree etc.  But I am also keenly aware it has been a year and that may affect any claim by me.  But I couldn't have known about the damage until a professional spotted it and therefore I've reported this to the dealer at the first opportunity I've been made aware.  The mechanic did comment that the force required to crush panels on the chassis crossmember would have written off the bumper, so this has been repaired (badly) with a replaced bumper and he also commented that the repair job was poor at best, with parts left hanging such as the intercooler which should be held up by the crossmember etc.

I've been advised by family members that I should demand a refund as I was mis-sold the vehicle based on unreported structural damage.  I wanted to get the opinion of CAG people as I've always valued the advice here.

Please ask any questions, I'll be monitoring this tonight as I intend to send the dealer an email soon.

Thank you for your time and potential responses :)

Mechanic description/photos of crash damage

AC hose damaged by intercooler chaffing against it but not leaking

AC hose damaged by intercooler chaffing against it but not leaking.JPG

Intercooler not in brackets & chaffing on AC hose

Intercooler not in brackets & chaffing on AC hose (1).JPG

Intercooler not seated in brackets & bracket squashed from impact damage

Intercooler not seated in brackets & bracket squeshed from impact damage.JPG

Lower cross member and n/s chassis leg damaged

Lower cross member and n_s chassis leg damaged.JPG

N/S chassis & cross member damaged

N_S chassis & cross member damaged.JPG

N/S fog lamp casing cracked

N_S fog lamp casing cracked.JPG

N/S transmission cooler insecure

N_S transmission cooler insecure.JPG

Radiator N/S lower mounting damage

Radiator lower N_S bracket damaged and radiator not correctly fitted - location lug broken.JPG

Radiator lower N/S bracket damaged and radiator not correctly fitted - location lug broken

Radiator N_S lower mounting damage.JPG

Edited by Casshern

Emailed the dealer with the pictures above, expressing my concern over being sold a car with unreported crash damage.  Response was that the owner will need to make a decision and will be back on Wednesday 6th November.

Let's see...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Do you have an update on this? Curious to know what they said. 

I may be in a similar situation, 5 year old car has signs of crash damage, although yet to inspect it properly. 

I didn't get a response for a while, but turns out the chap was away. Here's the latest response:

"Sorry I have been off for the last week, I will chase this up on Monday, I placed in in the hands of our Law firm as they are experienced in these matters" 

I'll give them a bit longer although Monday has just passed. 

Edited by Casshern
  • 5 weeks later...

I had a response from the legal team directly.  I've attached the letter; but essentially they are insinuating that I caused the damage myself and/or being dishonest.  Now, whether they sold this to me knowing about the damage or not, I truly believe they failed their due-diligence in ensuring the car's integrity.  An MOT inspection will not look at the space behind the front bumper so that is a moot point.  Also, as the mechanic also pointed out, the front bumper must be a replacement as the impact force required to damage the crossmember would permanently destroy the bumper. 

So according to this legal team's logic, I crashed the car, bought a new bumper, made shoddy repairs to the crossmember (leaving everything dangling inside) and then contacted the dealer claiming ignorance... I'm blown away at the arrogance/audacity of this (end of rant).

I sent an email to the contact at the dealer expressing my views about the attempt to rebound responsibility onto me.  I've added the gmail history and most recent correspondence.

I am going to seek advice on this, but wanted to see if any CAGers have experience or advice on these matters?  Anything would help.

Thank you so much for reading.

CarLegalLetter.pdf Gmail - Vehicle accident damage.pdf