Casshern

Unreported Crash Damage by Dealer

Hi all,

First post of this new account as my old CAG account from several years ago died :(

So I have this issue now with my Nissan Juke bought from a dealership last year.  Please bear with me as I am just going to throw all details in this post.

Nissan Juke 2011

Tekna DIG-T

23000 mileage

Purchased the car August 2018 and when summer 2019 hit, I discovered that the AC wasn't working (auto climate control); didn't detect issue because previous months were cold.  I've been looking at claiming AC repair through AutoGuard and eventually found a reputable garage in Croydon and booked asap as my warranty expires 07/11.

The garage looked at the AC issue and eventually discovered that the 'Evapolator' (AC evaporator unit) had developed a leak.  Also advised me that the pollen filter was caked and possibly blocked the AC flow etc. Commented that the car appeared neglected or sat for extended time.  Total bill: £1900 :(.  The engine however, is solid so far which is a relief.

But the disturbing part (and the main reason for this post) is that, while getting the bumper off he found several indicators of existing crash damage (images below)Now, I have not been in a crash at all, so I realised this came from the dealer or previous owner and was due to an unreported collision.  This was not reported to me and the car is not under a CAT listing.  The dealer ensures that the car is checked before sale and came with a warranty etc.  I called the dealer and he appeared surprised and advised they wouldn't sell a damaged vehicle.  I was waiting for a report from the Garage who kindly took pictures and gave a description of the issues caused by the damage (added below), the dealer asked for a copy of this evidence which I will send shortly.

My question is; in the opinion of CAG members, what would be the most appropriate course of action?  I understand that I should attempt remediation with the dealer and then ombudsman if we can't agree etc.  But I am also keenly aware it has been a year and that may affect any claim by me.  But I couldn't have known about the damage until a professional spotted it and therefore I've reported this to the dealer at the first opportunity I've been made aware.  The mechanic did comment that the force required to crush panels on the chassis crossmember would have written off the bumper, so this has been repaired (badly) with a replaced bumper and he also commented that the repair job was poor at best, with parts left hanging such as the intercooler which should be held up by the crossmember etc.

I've been advised by family members that I should demand a refund as I was mis-sold the vehicle based on unreported structural damage.  I wanted to get the opinion of CAG people as I've always valued the advice here.

Please ask any questions, I'll be monitoring this tonight as I intend to send the dealer an email soon.

Thank you for your time and potential responses :)

Mechanic description/photos of crash damage

AC hose damaged by intercooler chaffing against it but not leaking

AC hose damaged by intercooler chaffing against it but not leaking.JPG

Intercooler not in brackets & chaffing on AC hose

Intercooler not in brackets & chaffing on AC hose (1).JPG

Intercooler not seated in brackets & bracket squashed from impact damage

Intercooler not seated in brackets & bracket squeshed from impact damage.JPG

Lower cross member and n/s chassis leg damaged

Lower cross member and n_s chassis leg damaged.JPG

N/S chassis & cross member damaged

N_S chassis & cross member damaged.JPG

N/S fog lamp casing cracked

N_S fog lamp casing cracked.JPG

N/S transmission cooler insecure

N_S transmission cooler insecure.JPG

Radiator N/S lower mounting damage

Radiator lower N_S bracket damaged and radiator not correctly fitted - location lug broken.JPG

Radiator lower N/S bracket damaged and radiator not correctly fitted - location lug broken

Radiator N_S lower mounting damage.JPG

Edited by Casshern

The name of the Garage is MC Autos and I have to say that Natalie and Jermaine provided very good customer service.

Name of Dealership: Chequers Cars (Lightwater, Surrey)

Emailed the dealer with the pictures above, expressing my concern over being sold a car with unreported crash damage.  Response was that the owner will need to make a decision and will be back on Wednesday 6th November.

Let's see...